Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pressed Number Plates

Options
  • 25-04-2007 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Does anyone know where I can get pressed number plates for my ford focus in Dublin. I know that there are some pressed plates that dont last as long as others. Would any ford dealer have them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Why would you want pressed plates? Plastic printed ones last way longer and are easier to keep clean. They also don't bend, and the centres don't fall out of the numbers and letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I prefer the plastic ones too.

If you do want pressed ones then maybe Serck Services in Cookstown Industrial Estate can help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

The MSL Dealers in Dublin and Windsor Motors cars along with some others tend to have them fitted as standard. Have a look at car registrations in Dublin and note the dealers on the plate surrounds. I'm sure one of them if contacted would sort you out or point you in the right direction.

Perspex plates are for those who know no better and have poor taste.:rolleyes:

We won't bother explaining it to them, they would not understand.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

All pressed ones are sh1te IMHO

When we trade in cars with them on, they always have to be replaced as the black writing goes white, and the centres fall out of the letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

They are the cheap crappy ones with separate bits of metal stuck on.

OP is looking for the proper ones, where the digits are fully pressed from a single piece of metal. No bits to fall off there. And If a car is washed properly, with care and attention, the black text will stay in good shape.

Ireland & the UK are probably the only two countries in the civilised world who put plastic plates on cars. The continental Europeans (been more cultured) know better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

TomMc wrote:
    They are the cheap crappy ones with separate bits of metal stuck on.

OP is looking for the proper ones, where the digits are fully pressed from a single piece of metal. No bits to fall off there. And If a car is washed properly, with care and attention, the black text will stay in good shape.

Ireland & the UK are probably the only two countries in the civilised world who put plastic plates on cars. The continental Europeans (been more cultured) know better.

Well in case of the Germans it's got nothing to do with "culture" ...its just sheer and utter stinginess.

(seenashow you have to change plates there every time you move to a different area or sell the car and the lumimum ones are the cheapest you can get :D:D:D ...plus you don't get to keep the old ones either, instead they are retained by the officials and crushed and recycled ...and plastic just doesn't recycle that well)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

TomMc wrote:

Not true! Lots of plastic plates used in Sweden...

Swedishplate.jpg

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Am i missing something here? Sounds like some people are taking this too seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭tensecyclist

Am i missing something here? Sounds like some people are taking this too seriously.

Oh don't mind it.:D It's just about the plates. I'd go for plastic ones too kelzer.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

www.customgermanplates.com
    www.folksdirect.com

I am thinking of getting some for my Audi A2. Get a D under my EU flag instead of IRL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

www.customgermanplates.com
    www.folksdirect.com

I am thinking of getting some for my Audi A2. Get a D under my EU flag instead of IRL.
    And watch it fail at NCT time as the eagle eyed testers make sure that your plates are all legal.....
    Or go to the hassle of rmoving and replacing the plates every time the car is nct'ed

CJhaughey wrote:
    And watch it fail at NCT time as the eagle eyed testers make sure that your plates are all legal.....
    Or go to the hassle of rmoving and replacing the plates every time the car is nct'ed

I'm willing to do that every two years. I have a lot of time on my hands. I reckon the 5 minutes spent, with a screwdriver, replacing them would be worth it.

I saw a 325 out in Malahide with them on. They look cool. The '0' at the beginning of the year has a white stripe through the top left corner.

Can get some fake stickers too for the two dots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

^^^ Sad.

Plates in France are plastic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I've got a genuine German number plate left over (was ...or rather still is affixed to my motorbike carrier)

I'm sensing a money-making opportunity here ....:D :D:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Hagar wrote:
    The one that I had to replace on my C class hire car was metal, 'twas so badly twisted when that other car hit me :o. And whats with riveting them in, makes it a lot harder to cover it up when returning to the rent-a-car office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I ment "too" as in "also" plastic. You see just as many metal ones.

The plastic ones usually have a "bump" at the bottom with the garage details on them in small letters. They don't seem to use frames over here.
    In my local car shop I can buy plates with or without the F. They charge an extra €4 for plates with an F.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kelzer

For me I prefer the pressed plates made from one piece of metal. I've seen the plates from Windsor motors on most Nissan cars around and they are the best ones I've seen. Will probably get them there then.

Hagar wrote:
    ^^^ Sad.

Well there are obviously plenty of us sad people if there are several websites, all doing business selling German style plates.

I just like the idea of plates that look German on a German car. It is hardly something I think is essential but it is just something I would like.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

ID models in dun laoghaire do these plates....patrick street.....they'll put anything on the, 'Kiss my ass', etc. 2845711

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jaybeeveedub

Radiator Services on Rutland Place (top of o'connell stre just past the gresham) do top quality german style number plates on IRL fully nct compliant, only thing that is different is the font, and you have it with or without the slash through the 0

Jaybee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Well there are obviously plenty of us sad people if there are several websites, all doing business selling German style plates.

I just like the idea of plates that look German on a German car. It is hardly something I think is essential but it is just something I would like.

Move to Germany then and buy yourself a pair of Lederhosen while you're at it

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭666bxg

Radiator Services on Rutland Place (top of o'connell stre just past the gresham) do top quality german style number plates on IRL fully nct compliant, only thing that is different is the font, and you have it with or without the slash through the 0

Jaybee

Do you have the phone number for these guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Wheres the cheapest place to get german plates in ireland or online.I have found german plates in ireland for 60 inc postage.that seems abit overpriced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

The motor factors facing croke park does these @ around 20 quid each, got some last week, made in front of you in 5mins, good quality ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Snarler

drdre wrote: »
    Wheres the cheapest place to get german plates in ireland or online.I have found german plates in ireland for 60 inc postage.that seems abit overpriced?

Where did you find this? I asked in teh mod. motors forum but didnt get a good reply.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

TomMc wrote: »

Exactly.

Plastic plates look sh1te IMO, and water eventually gets in between the layers and then makes them look even sh1ter. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

C_Breeze wrote: »
    Move to Germany then and buy yourself a pair of Lederhosen while you're at it

ah someone jealous of all the german plate fun

german plates for the win ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=664&d=1189446121

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Snarler

Cyrus wrote: »

Good site but you can only put 8 characters on the plate and mine just about makes 9. Crap.

• Advertisement

yeah thats a prob alright

Advertisement