Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat BT 3MB problem

Options
  • 25-04-2007 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone in the Dublin area who has the above broadband speed with BT notice that it has dropped to 2048/256 on the router page and also on speedtest.ie?

Anyone know what could have caused this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭dylanpp

nope. my speeds are consistent. thats what most users care about. however, many are experiencing this problem: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055083490

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Anyone else having the above problem?

My router information is telling me my speed 2048/256 (kbps), Line Attenuation 49/31 dB.

I'm on a BT 3mb package and it was showing the correct 3mb speed until a few days ago. I rang BT and they told me to reset the router (Netopia wireless 3347NWG) by pusing a button on it - did that twice and the speed is still the same. They tested the line and they said it showed 3mb and they also checked with Eircom and they said it was a 3mb line.

I'm totally confused at this stage as it was working ok until a few days ago!

Can anyone help?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

Hello

If BT has checked with Eircom and they have confirmed that you are on 3 mb then the problem is either the ATUs or internal.

I have noticed that your attenuation is too high for a 3 mb line, try replacing the router, borrow it from a friend and check if your friends router connects at the right speed, if it does then, well you will know is the router, if it doesnt it might be internal.

Another thing, if your friends router connects at the same speed call BT again and ask them to book a line check, the ATU-C might have the wrong NMS setting.

Nevertheless again your attenuation is a bit high, check your internal wiring, make sure you are NOT using an phone extension, check microfilters, do this test with nothing connected but the modem and always into the main socket, check line stats again, noise margin and attenuation.

I have the feeling that they will change....

Do this before calling BT as they will ask you to do it anyhow. Just make sure that NOTHING is connected but the modem, alarms, sky... nothing.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Praetor wrote:
    Hello

If BT has checked with Eircom and they have confirmed that you are on 3 mb then the problem is either the ATUs or internal.

I have noticed that your attenuation is too high for a 3 mb line, try replacing the router, borrow it from a friend and check if your friends router connects at the right speed, if it does then, well you will know is the router, if it doesnt it might be internal.

Another thing, if your friends router connects at the same speed call BT again and ask them to book a line check, the ATU-C might have the wrong NMS setting.

Nevertheless again your attenuation is a bit high, check your internal wiring, make sure you are NOT using an phone extension, check microfilters, do this test with nothing connected but the modem and always into the main socket, check line stats again, noise margin and attenuation.

I have the feeling that they will change....

Do this before calling BT as they will ask you to do it anyhow. Just make sure that NOTHING is connected but the modem, alarms, sky... nothing.

Good luck!

Thanks.

Did what you suggested as I do have sky, monitored alarm etc. Still appears if I've been downgraded which I haven't been according to BT. They did a line check etc. and contacted Eircom. I would understand if it was always like that since I changed to BT and upgraded to 3mb. The thing is I was getting the 3072/384 speeds since I joined (a month ago). Something must have changed in the last week. Nothing at my end has changed. I got on to BT and the said that they're going to get an Eircom engineer out to the Swords exchange to see if there is a problem out there. Hopefully there is and that they will fix it and I'll be back up to 3mb again!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

Ok then, there might be a wrong setting at the Exchange, the engineer will be able to check that.

:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement