Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Didn't have €12 for toll

Options
  • 25-04-2007 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

So I was going to a place near the point last night and my sat nav brought me onto the Port Tunnel road (I suppose I was partially to blame too:p), I kept hoping there would be a turn off further on, but there wasn't, so I see a toll bridge in front of me and see it's €12:eek:

Anyway I got to the window, and it was the chaps first day and I basically said I don't have the money and I'm not supposed to be here that I took a wrong turn, I even showed him my sat nav where you could see the destination in relation to my position.

Anyway, he ended up having to do an IOU for me and took my details, although it does say Hyundai Transit on the IOU, lol. Anyway, it says send payment to the above address. The only address on it is my own, so does anyone know where I send it to or do I just send it to myself? Whoo:D

What a rip off it is, could have gone back and got another IOU and been there a bit quicker but I got off at Finglas and went the long way:rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cormie wrote:
    So I was going to a place near the point last night and my sat nav brought me onto the Port Tunnel road (I suppose I was partially to blame too:p), I kept hoping there would be a turn off further on, but there wasn't, so I see a toll bridge in front of me and see it's €12:eek:
    You mean all the signs didn't lead you to believe that a toll booth may be on the way? You were going into a tolled tunnel - where did you think you could turn off?
    :rolleyes:
    And you are a courier? :confused:
    cormie wrote:
    Anyway, he ended up having to do an IOU for me and took my details, although it does say Hyundai Transit on the IOU, lol. Anyway, it says send payment to the above address. The only address on it is my own, so does anyone know where I send it to or do I just send it to myself? Whoo:D
    At the moment I don't think they can get you unless you stop again and they reconise you. However, its only 12 quid - not much to be honest (literally).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

a €12 toll? How much does it knock off the distance???

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

Fey! wrote:
    a €12 toll? How much does it knock off the distance???

not too sure about distance, but leaving the IFSC at 6pm it takes between 50-60mins to get to the M1 driving through dublin

leaving the IFSC and going via the port tunnel takes about 6mins at 6PM to get to the M1

The tunnel isn't that much shorter than the overground routes but in terms of time its meant to be a huge difference (no junctions, etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

kbannon wrote:
    You mean all the signs didn't lead you to believe that a toll booth may be on the way? You were going into a tolled tunnel - where did you think you could turn off?
    :rolleyes:
    And you are a courier? :confused:

Gimmie a break, I'm only starting:D I've seen similar signage before with a turn off before what the signs are warning of, for example, there's usually a Motorway sign (the one with NO L drivers, pedestrians etc) before the last turn off that leads off the motorway. It was either that or up the M1 or wherever the other one heads to. I can only learn:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

kbannon wrote:
    At the moment I don't think they can get you unless you stop again and they reconise you. However, its only 12 quid - not much to be honest (literally).

The other toll plazas in the country will take your reg and send you a bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

testicle wrote:
    The other toll plazas in the country will take your reg and send you a bill.
    How can they know your name and address from your reg? Unless they are a Government body they shouldn't have access to any of these records. Are the toll bridges not run by private companies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

My old man, an 85yo pensioner also took the wrong turn and ended up at the tunnel plasa and was hit for e6 and another e6 if he was to return. He ended up all over the city before he got to his destination in Fairview.
    Its a scam like the West link.

Bradidup wrote:
    My old man, an 85yo pensioner also took the wrong turn and ended up at the tunnel plasa and was hit for e6 and another e6 if he was to return. He ended up all over the city before he got to his destination in Fairview.

Its your own fault if you take a wrong turn. The price is meant to discourage motorists from using it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Why do so many motoring issues get so complex with you Cormie?

• Advertisement

Why do so many motoring issues get so complex with you Cormie?
    ROFL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

There's defintely more evidence to justify the requirement for a separate forum for Cormie issues!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

How can they know your name and address from your reg? Unless they are a Government body they shouldn't have access to any of these records. Are the toll bridges not run by private companies.
    If this system is not in place yet, then it is coming in soon. It is to facilitate barrier free tolling when it comes in.

Legislation has to be passed for it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cormie wrote:
    What a rip off it is
    The price is meant to act as a deterrant. If it was much lower, more car/van drivers would be tempted to use it and would therefore, defeat the purpose of it.

I can't understand how you missed all the signage, both electronic and ordinary. They begin miles back and are very clear.
    Bradidup wrote:
    Its a scam like the West link
    Real high-brow thoughts there Bradidup. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

cormie you are the lowest common denominator!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

cormie wrote:
    Gimmie a break, I'm only starting:D I've seen similar signage before with a turn off before what the signs are warning of, for example, there's usually a Motorway sign (the one with NO L drivers, pedestrians etc) before the last turn off that leads off the motorway. It was either that or up the M1 or wherever the other one heads to. I can only learn:)

Yeah I'm with you on this one, OP. I didn't realise until it was too late, there was no place to turn and I got stung. Far too much money to be paying for a wrong turn. I got caught out again, but htis was from the port side a few weeks later (when I go for my little drives I dont pay too much attention to road signs) But this time I said feck it, and at the lights where it says no 'U' turn, I ignored it completly. I was up the front and only one car behind me, not blocking, but the driver decided to beep me anyway, just to be a dickens. I responded accordingly with my middle finger.

Why theres no U turning is stupid. I'm not wasting my time or money going again if I take a wrong turn of roundabout. I will U turn if I must.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

cormie wrote:
    Gimmie a break, ...there's usually a Motorway sign (the one with NO L drivers, pedestrians etc) before the last turn off that leads off the motorway. ...
    Didn't you used to ignore that sign as well, cormie, as well as stop in the middle of the road to pick up a passenger on a regular basis?

I have a package for delivery to the Kish lighthouse. You must drive it there though! :eek:

Not your ornery onager

So thats two drivers who failed to see the huge array of signs and markings for the tunnel.
    God help children out playing if yis are that observant!
    ._Magoo_Car1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

kbannon wrote:
    The tunnel isn't that much shorter than the overground routes but in terms of time its meant to be a huge difference (no junctions, etc.).

yea thats cause no one uses it!!! what a rip!!! but I guess its main point is to get the trucks off the road which its doing really nicely imo. East wall at rush hour is a dream since the port tunnel opened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What's annoying is if you're coming down the N11 and you were to follow the signs for the N2, they'd bring you through the East Link toll bridge even though it's a much longer route in terms of both distance and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Bradidup wrote:

How s it a scam. 6 months ago the tunnel wasnt there (well it wasnt open yet but you get what i mean) so he would have had to go the long way anyway,

The tunnel is meant for trucks, to keep them out of the city centre, so the toll is deliberately high to stop cars using it. Otherwise it would clog up with traffic and be pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Do trucks not get charged for using it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

No

Advertisement