Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water problems

Options
  • 25-04-2007 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭

Looking for advise or suggestions !!

I am having problems with water pressure, especially upstairs.

Downstairs there seems to be pressure in the cold tap but upstairs little or none .. I assume this is causing the hot water tank to take for ever to fill.

What could be causing the pressure drop to the upstairs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

What's the pressure in the hot tap like downstairs?
    The cold downstairs is lilely to be taken directly from the mains, so it's not a measure of pressure from the tank.
    Does the pressure from the hot and cold upstairs vary?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭whippet

The pressure from the hot tap is very low up and downstairs.

The pressure from the cold is alright downstairs but non existant upstairs after having a shower at night !!

Normally there isn't equal pressure, the cold was always very strong and the hot was just normal !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Sounds like a problem in the feed(s) from the attic tank. The cold water at the upstairs tap is fed from this tank not the mains.
    So the cold and hot water upstairs will be at the same pressure.
    You should have 14' or so of a head at the hot tap downstairs so the pressure should be very high unless again there's a blockage somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Reyman wrote:
    The cold water at the upstairs tap is fed from this tank not the mains.
    not in all houses reyman ,I've been in houses where everything is off the mains.
    It's usually in houses where the storage tank is on the roof of an extension ,or in an old council house where the hot water tank was fed from it's own tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

There are areas in Dublin where the pressure is terrible,you'd be actually astonished at how little pressure there is.

There is one problem with pipes that doesn't happen a lot ,dirt gets into the pipes.
    It actually blocks all your taps ,get a vacuum that hoovers water and try and suck dirt from the pipes. You might be able to borrow one.
    Or it could be a slight airlock ,a slight airlock is a small amount of air trapped that slows the water supply. A hoover would remedy it aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

_Brian_ wrote:
    not in all houses reyman ,I've been in houses where everything is off the mains.
    It's usually in houses where the storage tank is on the roof of an extension ,or in an old council house where the hot water tank was fed from it's own tank.

Check with your Council. I could be wrong but as I understand it you're not supposed to have more than one tap connected to the mains. This is to do with possible back contamination of the mains by a siphon effect from an upstairs tap

Advertisement