Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snagging and making builders do it!!

• 25-04-2007 10:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭

Guys need a bit of advice!

My new apartment was snagged 4 weeks ago. Builders received list, have done a bit of it as I've physically been able to see some of the bits they've done.

I have called the foreman 3 times in the 4 weeks and everytime I am told we will call you before the end of the week and guess what! Nobody calls...

Now if the block is not fully finished, fair enough, but is over 4 weeks not a bit long to hear nothing? There was nothing major on the list, bit of painting, couple of new doors needed, small bit of tiling etc

I know the car park underneath the block needs to be finished too but it just feels like the bloody thing is never going to be ready.

We were initially told the place would be ready in October!!!

Any advice on how to deal with builders??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭serotonin_sam

Was there a completion date on your contract?

Have you paid out in full?

If theres no completion date set out and you've paid out in full, you don't have too much in the way of bargaining power. Were there any items on your snaglist that could be deemed to be 'major defects' ie. structural?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭MarkN

Who would pay out in full before a property is ready?!

Just the contractual deposit is paid.

Nothing structural on it no, it's just a brand new apartment, your usual run of the mill type thing.

There's no completion date set, which is a shame cause builders would have to get the finger out if they were hit with penalties for not completing homes on time - are these in place with any developers actually??

Anyone know what the norm timescale is for a snag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Sorry did you buy this apartment off somebody with the defects in existance?

Or did you comission the apartment?

I bought it the way any normal person buys a brand new apartment through estate agents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭janmc

Make a copy of the snag list - cross out what has been done... and mark anything else "outstanding". Clearly mark the date the snag list was done, write a brief cover letter and fax a copy to both the contractor and foreman and follow up with a call.

Phone calls unfortunately aren't enough a lot of the time- you're better off having it in writing. Then if it still isn't done.... you can write something along the lines of "I refer you to my fax of [date] " etc etc.

Chances are that they just haven't got around to it yet, but a written reminder is no harm.

• Advertisement

When I initially faxed the list I sent a cover letter, dated obviously, explaining that I was ready to close as soon as they had the snag done.

When I met the foreman the morning I arrived to snag it he said that without doubt the apartment would be ready by the end of April. Here we are 5 days from then and again, it's more waffle - just like being told it would be ready in October, it's just all a little frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,389 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you have a signed contract an deposit paid then the contract would have to include a completion date. 4 weeks would be adequate time for sorting out the snagging list.

The foreman did say that it would be the end of April - wait till then and see what happens. If nothing happens by that time then you need to see your solicitor as the developers are obviously not listening to you.

The stories I've heard of people waiting for apartments I'm not so sure completion dates mean an awful lot.

Getting my solicitor to send them letter asking what is keeping them so long if it goes past April might be an idea though, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭serotonin_sam

MarkN wrote:
    Who would pay out in full before a property is ready?! Just the contractual deposit is paid.
    I'd say a big proportion of those that have bought in the last few years. Developers/Builders put pressure on buyers to pay up. And when it comes down to it, you have no legal right to hold back payment if the builder demands it (assuming the outstanding snags are not deemed to be 'major defects'). Although this shouldn't be so much of a problem with buyers getting thin on the ground.

The lack of completion date is the problem - hard to motivate them when theres no prospect of financial loss. I suppose that just leaves annoying the hell out of the foreman.

Advertisement