Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jet-Moon Fly Past!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I saw a plane fly right in front of the moon once. A lovely sight. Much nicer than that little video, impressive as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 wellbuttie

Indeed Flukey... the real thing is much better... especially the "surprise" factor!!

However, I had to seriously compress that video to make it "web friendly" therefore reducing it from 1259 Megabytes (1.25G.Bytes+) to the 5.56 Megabytes for viewing on the Web...and as MPG uses "lossy" compression algorithms..... there was indeed a loss of quality in the web version compared to what we can view here at home with the original !!

Remember pictures are only a record of what we have seen.... and will never be a substitute for being there at the time of the event !!... just useful to show to those who missed the particular aparition..

best o luck

steve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Cool:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Please don't think I was knocking your video Wellbuttie. It was good. As you said yourself, the surprise factor is great when you see something like that. It is one of the great things about astronomy. You can look and suddenly see something completely unexpected, and you would have missed if you looked 5 seconds later.

I looked out my window one night last August and as if it was waiting for me, I immediately saw a fireball. It was fabulous! A few seconds later, or had I looked in a different direction when I looked out, and I'd have missed it completely or only seen it out of the corner of my eye. As it happened, I was looking in its direction, and I could not have got a better view. Keep up the video and photo work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 wellbuttie

indeed Flukey...

I have many a time of saying to myself....."jaysus... why didnt, I point the camera that way???!!!".... while looking in the opposite direction, where something unexpected happened....ah well thats the "luck" factor.....

.... astronomy is great anyway, whether imaged or not, ........in my case.... The Plane was the luck factor!!!....maybe I'll have my next one in 10 years time!!!???

On de ball!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

yes, I saw it for real about 20 years ago. It was kind a like a scene from lost.... I could see the moon through the plane.
    Ahh the memories.

Advertisement