Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What to use for cleaning alloys

Options
  • 25-04-2007 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

Have to clean ground on brake dust from front alloys. I've a can of brake cleaner but think it might be too harsh for the alloys (it's recommmended for cleaning heavy disc dirt from calipers/drums/shoes etc) .

So anyone got any good suggestions for what to use for cleaning the brake dirt off my alloys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

drive way cleaner from halfords. Brother swears by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Meguairs Alloy Wheel Cleaner. Don't leave it on for too long, though!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Elfish

Fey! wrote:
    Meguairs Alloy Wheel Cleaner. Don't leave it on for too long, though!!!
    Yeah, I'm afraid that leaving the brake cleaner that I already have on too long/putting it on at all will damage the lacquer finish that seems to be on the alloys - or maybe I am just imagining that there is a lacquer on the wheels. Maybe they are just uncoated shiny alloy .... if they are, I suppose I could just whack on anything.

Good advice thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oven cleaner! 15 mins max and scrub off.

Mike.

Alloy wheel clearer from Halfords. Spray on for 5 minutes then attack them with an old toothbrush.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Wonder Wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Avoid Wonder Wheels or any other strongly acidic type cleaner.

Go with the Meguiar's All Wheel Cleaner as the better option, which is easy enough to get hold off. P21S is the best of the lot though for safe removal of tar and brake dust. Otherwise, acid based products will strip the lacquer coating from alloy wheels in no time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

TomMc wrote:
    Avoid Wonder Wheels or any other strongly acidic type cleaner.

Go with the Meguiar's All Wheel Cleaner as the better option, which is easy enough to get hold off. P21S is the best of the lot though for safe removal of tar and brake dust. Otherwise, acid based products will strip the lacquer coating from alloy wheels in no time.

I've used Wonder Wheels for ages. Straight on and straight off again, using plenty of water. No issues. No lacquer stripping. Alloys are perfect, and clean too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

On most manufacturer (OEM) & aftermarket alloys, you will see a breakdown of the lacquer, after frequent usage with acidic cleaners.

http://www.autoeducation.com/carcare/wheels.htm

Advertisement