Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower - Control arm not changing temp

Options
  • 25-04-2007 11:50am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads,
    A quick question please.

I tiled the mother-in-laws ensuite lately, brother in law was with me and he removed the shower controler, arm and back plate.

It is very similar to this http://www.mirashowers.com/onlinecatalog/shower_features.jsp?item=549416&prod_num=Element

but in is the house about 15 years or more!!!

Now I did not take any heed of it when he took it off, you have to take a little screw out first, then pull of the water turn on/ off dial.
    Then there is a little arm which goes clockwise/anti clockwise which controls the temperature. This took pulls off.

I put the lot back together but since then they can turn on the water no problem, but when they try to adjust the temp the arm keeps slipping.

I noticed that if I put pressure against the controller it does move but u cannot be leaning against the controller!!!

So any ideas lads, any plumbers on here who could help me?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

First rule is to never do any work for the MIL as it is bound to go wrong!

My concealed fitting (Shires) has a round washer like device that could easily fall out or be left out which has a indent which the chrome handle catches to adjust the temp. Has that been left out, lost or reinserted incorrectly.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Aye, have to agree about not doing the work!! ;)

I do suspect that something is missing alright, she decided to clean the whole unit one day so may have dropped the washer!!

DOes what they have sounds similar to yours David?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

http://www.mirashowers.com/onlinecatalog/shower_overview.jsp?cat=Mixer+Showers

For example look at page 35 of the Mira Form you will see how many parts make up the temp knob. You could be missing the grub screw, or the temperature spindle is on the wrong way and not catching. The design has probably changed over the years but an email to them or a root around the web you might be able to find the installation manual.

My spindle is plastic and took a while to put on the correct orientation for it to work correctly.

Advertisement