Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista VS Internet

• 25-04-2007 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

Apologies if it's been asked, but I did a thread sweep and didn't find anything.

So I just installed Vista on my laptop, and the internet's connecting fine...for the browsers. Everything else, Skype, the sidebar, what have you, all refusing to connect.
    They're all listed as exceptions on the firewall and I turned that off anyway, so that's not the problem, I think.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Could it be the router ?

Try port forwarding or enabling UPnP ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

I'm on a dormitory LAN so I can't access the settings, but everything worked 100% fine up until I installed Vista.

Not even Windows Live Messenger works, and that's usually paired with IE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

is it possible you have another firewall installed ie, onecare etc?

does the dorm lan definitly allow other internet applications?

Definitely. Like I said, I was running them all fine this morning before I ran the installation.

I have NetLimiter running, and when I try to connect with a program it doesn't even register that it's trying to. It's like they're just not allowed have the internet, but I'm positive I'm not running a firewall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

turn both net limiter and the windows firewall off and see does that fix your problem

• Advertisement

Just did. No joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Try turning off UAC , see what happens , I'm just at home , but google talk wouldnt work for me with UAC turned on !!

Well Windows live messenger works over UPnP if it's available so something must be wrong there if it cant get a connection.

In Vista's network and sharing centre section click on customize for your network and if it is set to public change it to private & now see if anything changes (the public mode limits connections).

Also where they any special changes that needed to be made to the network settings to connect to the network in your dorm LAN ?

Just turned off UAC and set the network to private. No luck on either front. =/

And no, the internet works right off when you plug in the cable.

EDIT:
    Windows Live Messenger's opinion is that I have a firewall up. Does Vista have anything besides Windows Firewall?

Nope nothing bar the built in firewall which only blocks inbound connections not outbound connections (to a degree), it really sounds like it is a NAT issue and only port 80 apps like web browsers are being allowed out on the network :confused:

* Is there anyone else who has a computer on the network verify they have software like Messenger working.

* Is there an admin of the network or someone who looks after it I don't know if you can or not but try asking why net access is restricted.

* In Vista try going into the Network & Sharing Centre\Manage Network Connections section and bring up the properties of your network card now untick support for IPv6

* In the same section if you have more than one network card like wired/wireless right click on the unused one and select disable.

• Advertisement

OK, I'm currently connecting through a wireless network in the area, and my programs are still blocked so I know it's definitely a problem with Windows itself.
    Tried turning off IPv6, no luck there, same with disabling the other network adapter for wired/wireless.

One thing that I've noticed is that when I'm connected with the wired line, it constantly reasserts itself as a public network, despite my setting it to private. Any way I can get it to stop poking at it?

That is odd what I would try is simply start again from the top. Remove any existing connections on the wired/wireless network so it no longer auto connects.

Run the network connection wizard when plugged into wired link and set it up so that is is set as a Home network with the Private setting. Do you have the same workgroup as the other machines on the wired LAN ?

One other thing you could try is go into control panel\admin tools\services and disable the "Network List Service" this will stop Vista auto detecting the network it might do nothing or stop everything from working so you know how to start it again if need be.

Advertisement