Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco Marathon - A moment of madness!!!

Options
  • 25-04-2007 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My story is that I was never ever in any way fit until last year when I decided to book a flight to the states and try my first half-marathon. One of the primary reasons for booking a flight to the states instead of doing an Irish run was to give me the motivation to train and stay of the beer.

As you will see from my thread last year:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054923936&referrerid=&highlight=

The plan was to cut down the alcohol to one night a week. You'll also see that this didn't work out too well. The thing about me is that if try and cut down to one night a week, I'd choose Friday because it's when the better of the two nightclubs in my small town is on. However, being hungover on the Saturday, the temptation to go on the beer is always there. This years plans is to cut it out completely because I've no other option - the marathon is on July 29th which only gives me 13 weeks from Sunday.

Although I've been cycling to work 4 times a week this past month (10 mile each way), the only run I've got in this year is a single 5k last week.

Whether from 5k - marathon distance in 13 weeks is possible, I'm not too sure. Perhaps some of you runners could advise me on that. In my opinion, it is doable provided I stay of the beer. However, if I go on the beer for one weekend during my training, it'll be next to impossible.

I'd imagine that it should take nearly as long from 5k - 1/2 marathon as it did last year, partly because of no beer and partly because of the fact that I have had some 15 milers under my belt (even though that was way back last September). I guess I'm just hoping that it'll be easier to regain fitness than it was to get fit in the first place.

I did actually complete the half-marathon last year but not in my desired time and with a bit too much walking for my liking.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054990108&referrerid=&highlight=

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

In august 2004 I was a complete couch potato. A friend dragged me to a gym, put me on a threadmill and almost had to call an ambulance 5 minutes later when I was a mess on the floor. October 2004 I ran my first marathon. It's doable. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭marathonic

Right well I went for my second run of the year yesterday. My first was last Thursday when I ran 3 miles and was completely wrecked after it. I wanted to push it a little bit yesterday to see if I could up the mileage quickly during the next 3 weeks or so of my training. I tried to do a 5-miler but only managed somewhere between 4 and 4.5 before I'd to walk the rest. On the bright side, this was about half-an-hour after doing the 10 mile cycle home from work. There's a small part of the muscle in just above the back of my ankles slightly sore when I tense them today - I guess they're the ones I don't use cycling :)

A friend was trying to get me to do a duathlon next Sunday and, had my muscles not been sore today, I would have upped the mileage this Sunday and, possibly attempted the duathlon next week. However, I think I'll ease off and, instead of upping the mileage, I'll do a 4-miler tomorrow or Sunday.

I'll need to work on putting a proper schedule together this weekend. I'd say I will probably need to achieve the 10-mile milestone by a maximum of 5 weeks if I wanna be able to do the marathon in 13 weeks. Off the top of my head, the long runs I'd like to do (depending on how I feel after each one) for the 5 weeks are a 4.5, a 6, a 7.5, a 9 and a 10. That'd leave me doing a 10-miler on May 26th. I'll then maybe repeat week 4 to catch a breath before continuing on. When I set out to do something like the above, I usually fail but we'll see how I get on in the next few weeks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭depadz

that could well be your achilles tendon.
    make sure you stretch it well and i'd suggest doing strengthening exercises on it.
    if not getting better, get it checked out, you do not want a torn one.

After reading about various injuries in my marathon training book, I wanted to give myself a few days rest so as not to bring on further injuries. Even though I felt better by Saturday, I left it till yesterday to do my next run.

My run yesterday was a 4 miler which I completed in 30 minutes. I hadn't done any cycling prior to this run because my bikes is away getting tuned up. I started off jogging very slowly and completed the second half a bit quicker as I felt like I'd plenty of energy. No muscular pains this time - just a little bit of a stitch during the last mile or so (I wouldn't worry too much about this because it will be resolved when I get my pacing sorted out).

I think I'll do a 3-miler this evening followed by another on Friday and then, hopefully, a 6-miler on Sunday. My training book recommends a 5-miler this Sunday but it's a 16 week program and I've only got 13 so I'll have to cut 3 weeks out along the way.

The maximum distance run in the program is 18-miles which I find a little strange. I suppose if I include the cycling that I will be adding to the program, I should get around the 26.2 miles okay.

I'd also like to lose a little weight before the marathon so that it's not too sore on my joints when the time comes. I was 11st 13lbs when weighed on Friday (compared to 13st this time last year). I know that the diet is the main thing needed to achieve this but I'm not gonna put too much effort into the perfect diet. I'll just cut out the sweets,crisps and alcohol which, when combined with the increased excercise, should be enough. I'd hope to be around a stone lighter by marathon time which I've read equates to 3 stone less pressure on the joints going around the course.

It's not that unusual for the longest run to be 18-20 miles. You want to run long enough but without going into the area that means too much recovery time will be required. Just keep at the bak of your mind that the marathon is a race of two halves. The first 20 enjoyable miles and the final 6.2 holding on.

• Advertisement

I'm making a little progress but should start making better progress from here on in. I got a 3 mile run done last Wednesday and Friday. The weekend was a bit of a dodgy one though as it was two friends 21st's. I did manage a 6 mile run on Saturday which I'm happy enough with. I measured out a loop course around my house in the car which I think I'll have a go at this weekend. It's 7.6 miles. If that poses no problems, I should hit the 10 mile target during the following two weeks - I think a jump from 7.6 to 10 miles in one week would be pushing it but we'll see how I get on in my 7.6 mile run first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Best of luck with the training.

S

I done two 5 milers and a 4 miler two weeks ago but was sidetracked then as my grandfather passed away.

I done no running all last week until Saturday morning when I went out for my 7.6 miler. I changed the plan half way through and ran 10 miles instead (possibly a stupid idea). I wasn't out of breath or anything after the run and probably could've went on a few more miles but I found my legs were slightly sore. My quads are still a tad sore when I stretch them but that's more to do with the cycling.

The plan now is to try two five milers and a four miler this week and another 10-miler at the weekend. That'll leave 8-weeks to go before the marathon. In a few weeks I plan to replace one of the short runs with some hill training as the San Francisco marathon has a reputation for being a bit hilly.

the trick for hills is to shorten your stride tbut keep the same cadence.

Done 4 miles on Tuesday in 34 mins which is almost the same pace as my 10-miler which was run in 86 mins. I was planning to run a 5-miler today and tomorrow but I've just found out about a 5-k road race being held in my town this evening so I'm torn between that and my normal 5-miler.

• Advertisement

Haven't posted alot lately. My longest run to date has been 14 miles so I'm a little behind in the training but, hopefully, I should still make it. The 14 miles was last Wednesday and I done a 5 miler on Tuesday and an 8 miler yesterday. Todays a day off and I'll try a 16 miler tomorrow.

Advertisement