Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant - meal for 2....

Options
  • 25-04-2007 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm looking for a nice place for a meal for 2. It's been a long time since I was out in Limerick so not too sure where is good these days.... any help would be appreciated...
    thanks!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Milanos - Italian
    Luigi Malones (though can get noisy) - Italian
    Mogul Emperor (Indian)
    Bella Italia

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

La Piccola Italia (mainly italian, but some fish and nice steaks too!)

TmB wrote:
    La Piccola Italia (mainly italian, but some fish and nice steaks too!)
    Was trying to remember that name!!!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Moll Darby's was excellent the last time I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Copper & Spice (Thai & Indian)
    Texas Steakhouse
    Jasmine Palace (Chinese)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

cant beat the texas steakhouse,i cant stand luigi malones its too noisy and the waiters dont give a ****,the food aint all that great either,jasmine palace if you're after chinese

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Limerick91

True for you Krudler, keep away from Luigi Malones, over priced food with bad atmosphere.

Market Square is excellent, not cheap though

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The Clarion Hotel. Thai food in the lobby/bar. Nice and decently priced too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

True for you Krudler, keep away from Luigi Malones, over priced food with bad atmosphere.

Market Square is excellent, not cheap though

i have eaten in luigi malones quite a few times and while it nothing special i found them grand, ate there for lunch mon and no complaints

Not a huge fan of luigis (yes i did mention it, but to each their own...)

Also, was in the restaurant over the Locke bar the other night - really nice food and atmosphere and generous portions...If you like cheesecake, go for it there too!

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

if you are willing to come out to the county...

the blue door in adare has just won best restaurant in munster...

and the mustard seed in ballingarry is absolutely gorgeous

both are in the higher end price range.....i think mustard seed is 58euro each

well worth it though ,in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭grasscutter

Wild Onion is great for lunchtime food. Located by the Cornmarket

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

For steak, texas steakout. (Did you ever notice how everyone) calls it the texas steakhouse?

I'm hungry now. Quaving for a bit of steak. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Los Amigos mexican down next to the locke great food and cheap Corona what more could you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭lezizi

sioda wrote:
    Los Amigos mexican down next to the locke great food and cheap Corona what more could you want

i never knew there was a mexican down by there, is it good, i am always complaining about a lack of mexican in limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Trouble

Why on earth would anyone want to pay to eat in that minge hole the Texas Steakout? Multi-coloured plastic table cloths, really really really loud music (the last time I darkened their door they were playing Celine Dion), bits of mis-matched crockery all over the table.....
    Ah Its giving me a migrane thinking of the interior.....
    I won't even get started on the food, gloopy mahogany brown gravy that obviously was microwaved from an industrial size catering tin o'gravy, that they use to hide ALL the food on the plate including the salad garnish!?!?

Feckin yuck...My advise don't go there.

If your on a budget - go to Milano, very reasonably priced food and wine, so long as you like pizza. But they make a fine pizza.
    If your thinking more fine -ish dining I would highly recommend Market Square.
    For in between - Popadom the Indian down by the milk market, they try and serve a more authentic Indian Cusine, you wont find Chicken Tikka anywhere on the menu and its not as stodgy as your regular curry house.

Yeah los amigos is very good. Service can be touch and go at times but I find the food more than makes up for this. Plus they have the most gorgeous side portion of potatoes which are actually just home made warm crisps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

How can anyone recommend the Texas Steakout, it is one of the worst restuarants in Limerick. I've been a good few times (say 10 or so) for various do's and never once had a meal that was decent, let alone good. It is awful, cannot stress just how bad the place is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Eaten in almost everywhere mentioned above! My girlfriend and I go to restaurants rather than on the batter so I eat out a silly amount.

Jasmine Palace was recommended for Chinese. It's nice but I find it over-priced for what it is. The Dragonfly in the Newtown centre in Annacotty would be much better imo, but gets over-looked as it's a bit out from city centre, food is exquisite and service is flawless! Same owner as The Tsang Dynasty in Killaloe for anyone who knows it.

The Poppadom, I would go as far as saying is one of the best restaurants in Limerick, but certainly the best Indian! Food is beautiful and again, service is of a very high standard. It's the tiny things that make a difference. We got warmed plates, our 5 year old got a cold one. And was offered a sweet naan, just to try! They are very friendly also.

For Thai, Bambu is nice, not too expensive and serve tasty food. However, the decor is not my personal taste and the music they play is atrocious. The Thai Gourmet conversely is slightly more expensive but is a nicer restaurant. Food is on par in both although Thai Gourmet has a much more comprehensive menu.

I find it difficult to recommend Copper and Spice to people. Their rice is bland, and I find their curries to be watery. Having Indian and Thai on one menu is to be commended, however many restaurants do one or the other better.

Haven’t eaten in Moll Darby’s in quite a while but it was always excellent when I was there. Market Square is also high on the praise list for many.

If all else fails, Lobster Pot…. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If all else fails, Lobster Pot…. :p

Or Fast Eddie's for a big kahuna burger... :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

The best resteraunt in Limerick for "fine dining" is Brulees on Henry Street. The food, service and winelist are always, always top quality and Donal really knows his stuff and is a nice fella.

Copper and Spice used to be brilliant but seems to have really gone downhill since they opened a second venue and Brian and Seema have had to split with one in each. I also got served a meat samosa when I asked for a vegie one which isn't good.

Poppadom I love but I've only gone a couple of times as Mrs A isn't a fan.

For Italian (and especially if you have kids) try San Lorenzo on the quay beside the Clarion. the Mayur Tandori down there has changed hands recently and is also worth a look.

For Chinese teh Jasmine is great but more expensive than the out of town places.

Los Amigos is brilliant - went there for the first time last week and was amazed at how good it was. Highly reccomended.

For a good, honest chipper you can't beat Enzos.

For a lunch in town try the Sage Cafe, brilliant food but always busy so you might e waiting for a table.

Places to avoid? Ohhh so many but I'll pick two...

Luigi Malones - somewhere else I had meat served after asking for a veggie meal. Up it's own ar*e, awful staff and dire food. Good (but expensive) beer

Brown Thomas - only open at lunch time but eye wateringly expensive

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I ate in the Texas Steakout last night. Had my steak and enjoyed it. Wife enjoyed hers. Different strokes I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Don't understand what some people are saying about the Steakout. It is probably the best restaurant i have ever eaten in.

The steakout is a middle of the road place with consistent food. Very oddly they have great homemade scampi in there very nice.

The beer in Luigis is very reasonable when priced against other restaurants. 5.5 for a pint of good draught you would pay that for a bottle in most other places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Spurs in the Crescent if your hungry. They are into big portions, had a 64oz steak there recently! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Cateym

I used to work in Thai Gourmet and I can't recommend the place highly enough if you are into Thai food. Yummy!! Menu is great too. When I worked there, there were queues out the door every friday and saturday night.

Texas Steakout is a funny one alright. I found I liked and disliked it at the same time! Milano's is grand, nice food, reasonably priced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Don't understand what some people are saying about the Steakout. It is probably the best restaurant i have ever eaten in.

Don't take this the wrong way but do you eat out often?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

yeah, the whole time. I've been to most restaurants in the city and a good few in the county.

I don't know what you people eat in there but their mexican menu is certainly top notch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Trouble

I have to agree with amadeus about Brulees. Its been a while since I was there but only cause the last couple of times I tried to book it was full. They have a wondeful seasonal menu and as far I remeber a reasonable set menu.
    In sharp contrast places like the Texas Steakout don't give a flying f*@k about food and seem to source thier ingredients from the tesco value bargain basement. I once tried to eat a steak there, which I asked to be cook rare. It arrived full of grizzel and sinew and I nearly got sick, I'm sorry if i'm ranting on a bit but I can't understand how anybody could profess to like thier food, although It does seem to do a good trade, baffelling. Where are people's standards? And the b@stards charge enough aswell, for a battered down ugly tex mex wannabee, sent Gordon Ramsay there now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 daffyduck

The Green Onion on Rutland Street (beside the post). Have always gotten a good meal there.They serve a great early bird menu from 5-10pm.

Advertisement