Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant - meal for 2....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Green Onion is closed i'm afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 daffyduck

why,s that do you know.Ive always enjoyed it there.Will have withdrawl symptoms now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

would have to agree on Texas Steakout. Well past its sell by date.
    Dunno how anyone could eat in LaPicolla either .Luigi Malones is average at best and Bella Italia is gone to the dogs in recent years...especially for take away.Used to love it but its not great anymore. Brulees is excellent.
    Sage Cafe brilliant for Lunch. Azur is nice too not amazing but nice. Market Square is very good. Love Gallaghers in Bunratty too..not in city i know but damn good.also the Manor and Red Door are great there too. Milanos is ok for pizza, not great but ok for a chain.
    That Spurs place in the Crescent is one of the worst places i have ever eaten. Thats not food! Their steaks are well dodgy. Thai Gourmet is good but not cheap. The Clarion restuiraunt is very good too. Was in Dolans a couple of times and it is good but too small and can be very noisy. Got to try that Mexican yet. next on the list. Some great places to eat in town but way too many average ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Los Amigos is very good, and quite reasonably priced too, service can be a bit slow but the staff are friendly, especially the Basque waiter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

If you don't mind a bit of a drive - 20-25 mins, then head out to Ballina, beside Killaloe and go to The Cherry Tree restaurant just up by the Lakeside Hotel.

It's menu is superb - award winning - and the view is wonderful (overlooking the water). Been there both for Sunday lunch (not the usual fare) and also for dinner at night - wonderful each time.

Mike

• Advertisement

They are knocking the building for the opera centre keeping the frontage afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

sioda wrote:
    They are knocking the building for the opera centre keeping the frontage afaik

Are they relocating anywhere?

Well they are closed bout 3 weeks and havent seen a sign saying they were moving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭bottlerocket

As a non-native who's lived in Limerick for many years would someone please explain Limericks obsession with the Texas Steakout or Outhouse or ****house or whatever its called. I've been there 3 times and it just gets worse. Admittedly, it started out pretty bad but christ.... Every time I've been there I've gotten a well-done steak. Not because I ordered it that way, but because they clearly don't give a fcuk about food. Honestly, how hard can it be?? Went there with herself and the ma in law last time (was the in laws choice, grrr!) and when I complained they told me I was wrong cos the place is packed day in day out! How can a steakhouse not cook steak? Cretins!!!!

Another disappointing place was the red door. Came highly recommended but the night we went it must have been care in the community work experience night. The red wine we ordered was served cold and we had to ask for it again after they had brought the starters. Food was fairly mediocre that night though I've spoken to others who nearly all had good experiences there. Its a shame because its a lovely setting and the place had a nice atmosphere. Milano in town is excellent if you're into pizza, on a budget or on the batter. Market Place is outstanding, great setting, service and food. Good wine list too. For indian, Poppadom is fantastic and the staff are wonderful. They do deliveries too and will happily send you out a few cobra beers with the order. As for chippers, there are no good chippers in Limerick. As someone said above, Enzo's aint bad but the rest of them are of poor quality. Why do Limerick people love chips that are only half cooked??!?!

Thats my $0.02 anyways....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Have to agree with all the recommendations for Brulee's. The one and only time I was in the Market Square I found the food quite average - but I'm sure that was most probably an off night. Freddy's Bistro is also worth considering. I've heard some very good things of the Bunratty Manor Hotel.

One place to seriously avoid though is the restaurant in the new George Hotel - good service but terribly bland food. Their only saving grace is the Starbuck's coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

The manor in bunratty is by far the best restaurant in the area. Had the crab claws for
    starters and the steak medallions and both were out of this world.
    Cant recommend the place enough. Impossible get a reservation at weekends though.

Texas steakout aint bad, its average food and i do like their enchiladas but
    charing someone 28 euro for a steak and not even including a sauce is a total
    disgrace. Place is a robbery and best avoided.

Luigi malones is also not high on my list. Was there about 3 months ago, had
    to wait 35 minutes before my order was taken. All the waiters just kept fobbing me
    off to someone else and the place was half full. Food was average
    at best and the atmosphere is shocking. They practically sit you on top of
    the table beside you. Place is a shambles.

The main restaurants in both the George and the Clarion are terrible and
    overpriced but i did enjoy the Kudos bar food in the Clarion, was excellent and
    inexpensive.

Moll Darbys i found very good. Decent service however their set menu is to
    be avoided. They have an excellent rack of lamb and ive also gotten great
    steak there.

Was at the Red Door in Bunratty at the weekend for Sunday lunch. Great
    reputation but i cant really see why. Lovely atmosphere but the food was
    only average. Big portions though and i guess you cant go wrong with €24
    for a 4 course sunday dinner to be fair. Deserves another look.

Finnegans on the Dublin road is also highly recommended if you are just
    looking for plain cheap food with large portions. My girlfriend practically
    lived on their chicken curry over the winter. 12-15 for a main course is
    excellent value.

As for Chinese Dim Sum on Catherine street is average but do a very cheap
    early bird. Big fan of Z We Tons on Denmark Street. Excellent food and
    extremely tasty.

Copper and Spice is a bit of a joke. Dont go there if you have any sort of an
    appetite because you wont leave full. Portions are miserable to be honest.

Advertisement