Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SPA FRANCOCHAMPS Grandprix - PLACES TO STAY

• 25-04-2007 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hey Everyone,

Not really sure if its more appropriate to post this query here or somewhere in the travel forums, but sure I'll give it a go anyway.

Myself and a buddy just booked tickets to SPA Francochamps grandprix in Belgium in September.

If anyone has been to this grand prix before can you recommend anywhere to stay fairly near the circuit and if its better to fly to Charleroi or Brussels Airport.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I went a few times when I lived in Holland. Liège would be a reasonable place to stay, although it's a bit of a dump AFAIR. Another possibility would be Malmedy or Verviers, both small towns closer to the circuit. Also beware that you're on the cusp of the French, Dutch and German speaking parts of Belgium here so Liège can be alternatively signposted as Luik or Lüttich!

As far as airports, it makes no difference. Motorway all the way to Liège from either one.

Echo Ficus's remark about getting there early. The Belgian police are out in force and will direct you to wherever they want you to go to, rather than where you want to go, and Francorchamps being a big circuit, this can mean a long walk from wherever you park your car to the stands. The trick is to get out there before they do, about 6am IIRC!

Oh yes, and don't forget your umbrella :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Alun wrote:
    Oh yes, and don't forget your umbrella :)
    Second that. I was there in 1997, it was a beautiful day until about 20 mins before the start when the heavens opened with the heaviest rain I'd ever seen. It stopped just before the start leaving a great race with wet then drying conditions.

Yeah, the weather there is very unpredictable. The circuit sits in a bit of a hollow and has its own microclimate, so pay no heed to any weather forecasts and come prepared for every eventuality ... umbrella and sun-screen! I've even seen a situation there where it was raining at one end of the circuit and bright sunshine at the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭trendkill

Where you going watching the race from?... plus Im dying to try out those new handheld TV thingies they've got going on now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hermit

Cheers for all the info. guys.

It'll be my first GP so really looking forward to it ... Sitting on Eau Rouge.

• Advertisement

hermit wrote:
    That's where most of the stands are, except the start/finish grandstand which is too expensive and sold out really early anyway.

It looks much more impressive in real life than on the telly. Once, when I was in the area for something else I got a chance to drive Eau Rouge in my normal road car (think they might have closed it off now, but back then it was a normal road when they weren't racing). You wouldn't believe how steep it was. One race I went to, they had a bicycle race with all the drivers cycling round the circuit. All the drivers got off and walked when they hit the hill after the depression at Eau Rouge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

hermit wrote:
    Cheers for all the info. guys.

Hey...I'm sitting there myself in September. I think its the gold grandstand or something like that :confused:

Anyway....I'm staying in the Sheraton in Brussels? Is Brussels a long way from Spa. How long would it take to get there by car?

jamieh wrote:
    Hey...I'm sitting there myself in September. I think its the gold grandstand or something like that :confused:

Anyway....I'm staying in the Sheraton in Brussels? Is Brussels a long way from Spa. How long would it take to get there by car?
    About 125km from the centre of Brussels to Spa ... motorway most of the way, but it can and will get busy. Best prepare for an early start, and be aware that you may end up being forced to park a long way from the main stands area, so be prepared for a bit of a walk too.

Advertisement