Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art Supply Shops

Options
  • 25-04-2007 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭

Could anyone tell me the best place to buy stuff for drawing comics in dublin? I'm specifically looking for decent paper, but somewhere that sells all the other little bits & bobs too would be handy.

Where do you guys get this stuff?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Ger_Hankey wrote:
    Where do you guys get this stuff?

Thanks.

online - cus [a] you can't get decent bristol in dublin and if you can it costs a fortune. Actually I try and buy in bulk when I'm in New York but will use pearl paint or dickblick online stores if I run out.

The best paper to draw on is smooth or velum Bristol - don't buy those comic pages you see in comic shops and the such they are a waste of money - your mainly paying to have the bleed and trim lines put in for you but the actually paper quality is **** - its not archival and doesn't hold blacks well at all.

Most of my friends [and myself actually as well] will buy a ton of photocopy paper cus it comes in bulk and is dirt cheap - they use that for thumbnails, sketches, prep work and then transfer either to computer to work digitally or to bristol if they are inking by hand.

if your drawing by hand then you need to play around with different pencils as everyone is different - I'm very heavy handed so use a very light pencil and I've tired pretty much ever pencil brand going and prefer Turquoise Drawing Pencils but i know people who hate them so pick up a few different ones and see which you feel most comfortable.

If using a computer for inking/colouring invest in a tablet, if doing it by hand invest in a good lightbox.

Ink wise aim for archival inks - black magic ink or higgins. Sumi ink is only good for washes and not for strong blacks. Check out akadot for a good selection of deletor nibs. If you want to ink with brush its the same as the pencils pick up a couple of different sizes and brands see which suits your hand. Selection of Micron pens in selection of sizes are good for small areas and tiny details. Brushpens can be fun to but the ink in them is usally **** so waste them and use them as a dip pen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Ger_Hankey

Thanks for the tips. I've been mostly doing a bit of both hand & computer stuff - drawing & inking by hand & colouring on the computer. I am going to invest in a tablet (once Ive paid off those pesky bills and ate etc.), but I was really just looking for somewhere to do a bit of browsing and see if there is anything I'd like to try out...

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

The Art and Hobby shop in Jervis Street sc sells Prismacolor Markers, which are made for comic artists, If you use markers you also need marker paper which they sell there too :) To see some really kewl art with markers >> http://www.penciljack.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76072

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Ger_Hankey wrote:
    Thanks for the tips. I've been mostly doing a bit of both hand & computer stuff - drawing & inking by hand & colouring on the computer. I am going to invest in a tablet (once Ive paid off those pesky bills and ate etc.), but I was really just looking for somewhere to do a bit of browsing and see if there is anything I'd like to try out...

Not really shop wise in Dublin, have a look through the akadot site linked up there as they have some interesting nibs and pens. Other wise google the big art shops - pearl paint, dickblick, new york central art supply are the better ones.

What my friends and I did in the past was go through the online stores and then put in one order for everyone - saved a bit money and meant people who just wanted to buy one or two nibs to try out didnt have to buy a ton of stuff they didn't want. You can always post a thread on here to see if people are interested in doing something like that or next comic jam we have in dublin come along i always have bristol and nibs with me and can give a quick demo on how to ink with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Ger_Hankey

I'll do that, thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement