Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

which would be better in a crash

Options
  • 25-04-2007 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

an old big car like a carina E, or a modern small car with airbags like a yaris

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

endplate wrote:

it depends on too many other factors

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Head on with each other I would imagine the carina would fare better because of the weight in the engine!! But the whiplash would be unreal in it!!

As said above it all depends on other factors like speed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

endplate wrote:

There's the first misconception. The Carina E base model is only 100kg (10%) heavier than a current Yaris base model. So the Carina is is not a big car at all compared to todays superminis

Under most circumstances, the Yaris would be the safer car

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I think the Yaris would be safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

If you're talking about big v. small safety in a crash, here's a picture of the N11 crash from earlier this week between an Audi A4 and a Fiat Punto. Two died in the Punto and the A4 driver was unhurt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Also a vote for the Yaris. Many people here seem to equate mass and solidity with safety, and seem to think that because a small car like a Yaris looks like a mangled wreck after a collision, and a huge German luxo-barge remains intact that the luxo-barge was therefore safer. However, just think on this .. .where did all that energy go when both of those crashed? In the case of the Yaris it was into all the crumple zones, whereas in the case of the luxo-barge it was transferred to the contents of the car, i.e. you and your passengers. I know which I'd prefer.

EDIT: I'm assuming here that the luxo-barge was from the pre-airbag/side-impact-protection/crumple zone era.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

but the audi is a newer model in that photo so it doesn't address the question.
    From the forum in my sig, I know people who have old E28s and E30s, had big smashes with them and suffered no problems (thankfully)

Cerdito wrote:
    If you're talking about big v. small safety in a crash, here's a picture of the N11 crash from earlier this week between an Audi A4 and a Fiat Punto. Two died in the Punto and the A4 driver was unhurt
    Did they have their seatbelts on? What vintage was the Punto?

Cerdito wrote:

wow, i won't be buying a convertable punto

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

Alun wrote:
    Did they have their seatbelts on? What vintage was the Punto?

I have no idea, just an image that struck me from the news. The contrast between the completely mangled Punto and the Audi that could probably be driven away is striking. I'm sure there were other factors involved as you point out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It looks like the collision betwen the A4 and Punto was relatively minor with neither car sustaining that much damage (the Punto looks badly damaged but if you examine closely it's clear that most of the damage was done by the fire brigade cutting out the occupants)

I think it's likely that the Punto occupants died in this crash because they weren't wearing their seatbelts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Cerdito wrote:
    Two died in the Punto and the A4 driver was unhurt

While the A4 was no doubt the safer place to be in that collision, a lot of the damage you see to the Punto (roof and doors clean off) was probably a result of the emergency services cutting the occupants out. It's easier for them just to rip the car apart rather than delicately trying to get injured people out of confined spaces.

edit: BrianD3 beat me to it...

Cerdito wrote:
    I have no idea, just an image that struck me from the news. The contrast between the completely mangled Punto and the Audi that could probably be driven away is striking. I'm sure there were other factors involved as you point out.
    Also the Audi was still on the road and the Punto was in the ditch. I'm guessing they just glanced each other, and though the Audi managed to stay on the road, the Punto was less lucky and rolled over into the ditch. I'd also assume that the fact that it has no roof was due to it being cut off by the emergency services, rather than it happening in the crash. Appearances can be (very) deceptive.

EDIT: must learn to type quicker :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Before judgement is passed on the driver at fault in the Punto/Audi accident - can we get back on topic!

Back on topic, brand new Yaris would be safer than Carina E in just about any collision.

A more interesting one might be
    1992 Mercedes W140 S class
    or
    2007 new model Mondeo just about to go on sale

Or 2007 Peugeot 407 and a 1994 BMW 7 series.

The German heavyweights have airbags, pretensioners etc. and a lot of attention paid to safety for the time. But the design of the body is 10-15 years old and big strides have been made in that period. Also modern mid sized cars like 407s and Passats now tip the scales at around 1500 kg or more which means that they're not even that much lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Top Gear did a test with a BMW 5 series (old old model) and a Volvo 850 saloon (old model) crashed them head on at 60mph and nobody survives. My money would be on the Yaris too.

"1992 Mercedes W140 S class" Sounds like a Panzer IV :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If anyone remembers the crash test Top Gear did between a fiesta and freelander (I think it would have been 2004ish), bigger is not always better. Based on that, I'd go with the new Yaris over the Carina E.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

In the original Carina E I'm not even sure the driver got an airbag, crumple zone technology won't have been what it is now. I'd take my chances with either really. You'd probably be less sore and quicker out of hospital if in the Yaris though

BrianD3 wrote:
    A more interesting one might be
    1992 Mercedes W140 S class
    or
    2007 new model Mondeo just about to go on sale

Or 2007 Peugeot 407 and a 1994 BMW 7 series.

The German heavyweights have airbags, pretensioners etc. and a lot of attention paid to safety for the time. But the design of the body is 10-15 years old and big strides have been made in that period. Also modern mid sized cars like 407s and Passats now tip the scales at around 1500 kg or more which means that they're not even that much lighter.

Good points. My '96 7-series has all the driver aids of a new car, but only 2 airbags and @1790KG is indeed only about 300kg heavier than a modern D-segment 2.0l diesel car equipped with 10 airbags

I'd love to see some research into this...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

unkel wrote:
    Good points. My '96 7-series has all the driver aids of a new car, but only 2 airbags and @1790KG is indeed only about 300kg heavier than a modern D-segment 2.0l diesel car equipped with 10 airbags

I'd love to see some research into this...
    A Yaris weighs around a tonne, so roughly half of a W140. If the two were to collide head-on at, say, 60km/h (both cars doing this speed), the Mercedes would slow down and the Yaris would start going backwards. The Yaris would have to absorb around twice as much force as the S-class. If each car were to separately hit an immovable wall head-on then the results would be a lot closer. In two-car collisions, though, mass counts.

• Advertisement

alias no.9 wrote:
    If anyone remembers the crash test Top Gear did between a fiesta and freelander (I think it would have been 2004ish), bigger is not always better. Based on that, I'd go with the new Yaris over the Carina E.
    They didn't actually do it "between" the cars though. They took the actual vehicles that EuroNCAP had crashed separately and compared the damage. EuroNCAP state that front impact tests from different weight classes should not be compared. Side impact results can be compared however.

If the Fiesta and Freelander each hit an immovable object, the Fiesta should be better based on NCAP results. But if they hit another car (or each other) then the Freelander could well be a better place to be although it may not depending on how badly designed it is.

This is kind of the same point that Anan1 is making. The W140 vs Yaris would be a more extreme example. That's why I used the example of new Mondeo vs W140 as a new Mondeo is significantly closer to W140 weight and size than a Yaris is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Aren't modern cars designed to be safer at a specific speed? they usually test for damage at around 50 kph, although crashes at higher speeds are far more complex, many more forces become less insignificant. I would imagine the yaris' design would let it down in a faster collision

Anan1 wrote:
    A Yaris weighs around a tonne, so roughly half of a W140. If the two were to collide head-on at, say, 60km/h (both cars doing this speed), the Mercedes would slow down and the Yaris would start going backwards

Exactly. Auto, Motor & Sport did a feature about this, I suppose in the early 90s. They had a W140 crash against a Corsa iirc. They both did 50km/h and the crash was half head-on, if you know what I mean

Both drivers would have survived but the Merc driver would have been uninjured. Also the Mercs doors still opened, the corsas didn't

Edit: I'll be damned - everything is on the interweb these days. Videoclip

I remember the W140 vs Corsa test. IIRC the Corsa "driver" was in pretty bad shape with serious leg injuries.

W140 was also tested against a VW Golf Mk3 and the Golf driver would have died. The difference between the Corsa and the Golf was mainly that the Golf tested didn't have an airbag.

Other similar tests inclued S Class vs Smart, E class vs Smart, Polo vs Phateon, Polo vs A8. In all of these the driver of the small car was quite well protected.

Data on just about every crash test that was carried out by ADAC and Auto Motor und Sport in the nineties can be found at the following URL.
    http://www.autocrashtests.de/auswahl_fahrzeugtyp.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Another vote for the Yaris.

By they way I would never buy a car without ESP/Traction control. Its almost as important as ABS in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Ice_Box wrote:
    By they way I would never buy a car without ESP/Traction control. Its almost as important as ABS in my view.

Slightly OT ...

I'm not so sure that it is, really ...

Yes it can help in tricky situations, but it can also give you a false sense of security and allow you to drive your car right to the edge of what is physically possible whithout you even noticing that there might be danger afoot ...until even the gadgets can't safe you anymore.

Never mind the psychological effect that all these safety features seem to have on some drivers ...my car has X, Y and Z ...therefore it's safe to drive that bit faster ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

peasant wrote:
    Slightly OT ...

I'm not so sure that it is, really ...

Yes it can help in tricky situations, but it can also give you a false sense of security and allow you to drive your car right to the edge of what is physically possible whithout you even noticing that there might be danger afoot ...until even the gadgets can't safe you anymore.

Never mind the psychological effect that all these safety features seem to have on some drivers ...my car has X, Y and Z ...therefore it's safe to drive that bit faster ...

I disagree with that statement 100%.

You could say the same about seatbelts or even headlights. If nobody had headlights we would all drive more slowly at night and there would be less accidents. I believe safty devices dont cause accidents, people do. But accidents do happen. And if I need to make a sudden movement in my car because someone else made a mistake then I want ALL the technology I can get my hands on available to me and my family.

If I go for a walk with an umbrella it does not make it more likely that it will rain. But if it does rain I'll be nice and dry.

Ice_Box wrote:
    I disagree with that statement 100%.

You could say the same about seatbelts or even headlights. If nobody had headlights we would all drive more slowly at night and there would be less accidents. I believe safty devices dont cause accidents, people do. But accidents do happen. And if I need to make a sudden movement in my car because someone else made a mistake then I want ALL the technology I can get my hands on available to me and my family.

If I go for a walk with an umbrella it does not make it more likely that it will rain. But if it does rain I'll be nice and dry.

i agree with this 100%, espicially the bit about the umbrella

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

OT I know but we are forgetting that ABS, EBD, ESC, TC, and any other system does not eliminate the biggest problem of all, the idiot behind the wheel. Your actions in the precious seconds before the accident will perhaps be more crucial.

At any rate EBD and the rest are of no consequence once the crash has actually occured. In this light, the Carina is sturdier, but will experience more force as it does not dissipate the energy through crumple zones, unlike the Yaris. On the other hand, the Yaris is high up, and was built to survive better in 30 mph crashes. At higher speeds, the Carina E will not dissipate the energy more effectively, but you can be damn sure it will stay together better than a yaris.

Advertisement