Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help please! what to do with a pregnant cat????

Options
  • 25-04-2007 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

hey....

my catsabout 6-7weeks gone, and is really heavy and fat and looks about ready to pop

can anyone tell me how long more she has to go and what to do with her coming up to the birth and afterwards.

its the first time with a pragnant cat!!!

info and advise will be very much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

bring your cat to the vet to get checked over, he will advice you the best thing to do.

Make sure if you are planning on letting her have the kittens that you give her a nice cosy place away from people so that she can be left in some peace. When the kittens are about 4/5 weeks you can get mammy spayed to stop her having any more kittens.

But bring her to the vets to make sure all is well

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

My cat had kittens a week ish ago.Came down one morning and all was done checked mum and babies all doing well,i was told about 2 weeks start weening kittens and a week after they stop feeding from mum them spay.Cats are a lot easier than dogs they do it all themselves most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 emma27

she has not long to go. make a lovely cosy bed for her, handle her gently and keep putting her in the bed even when she gets out so she knows its there for her to go to when the time comes. make sure the bed is big enough for her to be able to have her kittens and stretch out when she is feeding them. you wil probly need to change the bedding after the kittens are born. Dont handle the kittens for a while she wil get very annoyed and might bring them off elsewhere. s It the first time she is having them? Keep an eye out that she is feeding them ok, that she doesnt sit on them by accident. I Had a cat once that just didnt have a clue what to do, so we ended up feeding the kittens with a dropper. you can get them in pet stores or go to a chemist and buy some ear wax removal and you get one with that. just incase or if you find one of the kittens is not feeding from her. give her lots of pets before and after to reassure her. make sure she has plenty of milk for the time she is feeding her kittens. if you have anymore questions il keep you posted. kittens are gorgeous! they wont have their eyes open for a few days so dont be alarmed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Whatever you do, dont have loads of people in to see the kittens until they are weaned. As tempting as it is to show them to al your friends, the mother could hate it and either move the kittens to somewhere you wont find them, or reject them which leaves you getting up at all hours of the night to feed them. Keep it to 1 or 2 people that the mother knows and trusts. I say this from experience.

Oh and make sure the mother doesnt mind if you pet them, some mothers are very protective.

They are blind and deaf at birth, their eyes open at 10-14 days. If they get a lot of gunk around their eyes some warm salty water will help, use a different cotton bud on each eye.

Make sure not to leave the washing machine/tumble drier/etc door open, some cats have been known to give birth inside them. My grandmother's cat gave birth in the wardrobe!!!

Basically its best to just feed the mother as much as she wants and let her get on with it. Stroke the kittens a bit to get them tame (as long as she doesnt mind) but most cats are very good mothers. And dont panic if she starts leaving them in the nest by themselves for a short time. She'll need to stretch her legs every now and then. After a few weeks she will start leaving them for longer as they will be weaning. They start eating solid food at about 4 weeks and start walking around then too. Well usually they walk in the food at first but they get the idea eventually.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭bridget.laitly

Expect the newborns to be off limits for a few days while the mother goes through the paces of cleaning and bonding. Once they're out and about you'll find they stick to everything they walk on because very young kittens can't retract thier claws- so keep an eye on your curtains and couches!
    It'll be lovely having them around- be sure to wrap up/tape down all wires/knobbly things, houseplants are at waist height and shoelaces are tucked away!

And... *cough* should you (or anyone else) need to rehome at least one of those kittens, let me know!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

You could still bring her to the vet and get her spayed, it's not too late.

Advertisement