Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mains valve

Options
  • 25-04-2007 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

We had our bathroom retiled and refitted a while back between ourselves and some major help from relatives.

The one thing that is still the same is the shower. My relative removed it before we tiled but we never changed it for a newer model.

Basically all I want to do is reconnect the piping for the shower that was there and hookup the wires.

The thing is there doesnt seem to be a cutoff valve in the house for the shower. The shower seems to have its own direct pipe from the attic tank. When my relative disconnected it the water was turned of at the mains outside our house. We even have a large pole that is specifically for this purpose that my relative bought.

My question is "What does the cover for the house water mains generally look like? ..and where is it generally situated? ...any other tips/info relating to this?"

ps. The relative is no longer in the country for the forseeable future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Usually the main house valve is under the kitchen sink. If the sink has been moved in a previous kitchen renovation, it is possible that the valve may be where the sink was originally.

Ths shower should have it's own dedicated feed form the attic tank, most shower installers will fit a stop valve on this pipe which saves having to drain the attic tank whenever you need to do any work on the shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RekcaH

Thank you very much crosstownk.
    100% correct. I had assumed that was merely a cutoff valve for the sink.

You made my life a whole lot easier...

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Water stop cocks outside on the street ,resemble a keyhole shape.
    Newer ones are small square shape ,they should say Uisce on them:D

Advertisement