Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floor protection from workers

Options
  • 25-04-2007 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Getting closer to the end of our self build:D . I am just about to put in some wood floors upstairs, I am looking for some advice on what I could put over the floors to protect them? As there will be work men traffic on them for a while. Looking for something like thick paper liner like you get in an art shop or boot liner you get from the garden centre. Anybody know where I might get this or some other protective cover?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would leave the floors till the very last if I was you, it isn't just foot traffic, you will also have possible water leaks, and tools/drills etc being dropped.
    If you HAVE to put them down try getting fridge boxes or something similar from an appliance store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

paddynead wrote:
    As there will be work men traffic on them for a while. Looking for something like thick paper liner like you get in an art shop or boot liner you get from the garden centre. Anybody know where I might get this or some other protective cover?
    Thanks

Practically worthless IMHO, on any site where I've seen floor protection it's sheets of hardboard & duct taped joints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 harto

I'd second that. Sheets of 3.2mm 8x4ft hardboard will cost you about a fiver in your local building supplies stop. Well worth it if you are going to lay floors before all other trades are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

everyone got there before me :D , make sure there is no grit under the sheeting and that it is well sealed or grit will get under and grind your nice new floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Hardboard is certainly the way to go ......

for less arduous jobs I use cardboard boxes from my local bike shop .... the quality of material is excellent ...... sizes vary but a full size bike box will give you a big sheet of cardboard ..... the Bike shop is only too glad to get rid of them ..... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 paddynead

CJhaughey wrote:
    I would leave the floors till the very last if I was you, it isn't just foot traffic, you will also have possible water leaks, and tools/drills etc being dropped.

Thanks for the advice guys, If we don’t put the wood floor down (upstairs) I am worried they will damage my under floor heating that I have just painfully installed. I know it is a bit scary putting it down, they are unfinished so I will be sanding and varnishing it after anyway. The cardboard may be my best option as I have a big area to cover and the boards may turn out to be a bit of an expense in the long run. I know you can get this thick paper in the US and you just tape it together. I have not seen it here.
    Thanks for your input.

Advertisement