Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning security deposit

Options
  • 25-04-2007 4:19pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

My current flatmate's lease is coming to an end soon (it end on the 17th of June). I'm leaving for the summer around the 18th of May though, and won't be there to check the place when she leaves. There's going to be some bills that she'll owe me for (the usual, phone, internet, tv, gas & electricity), but again, I won't be there to check how much these amount to. I won't be back in the flat until September then, as I'll be in the states for the summer. What's the procedure on returning the deposit? I'll need to calculate the cost of bills before returning it, minus the money for bills. Is there a timeframe in which I'm legally obliged to return it? Or can I just wait until September, check everything's okay, and then send her a cheque?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Is there anybody that can check the bills for you while you're away and let you know the costs involved?

If so, just use internet banking to transfer funds to your flatmates account while you're away.

Alternatively, see if you can agree to return the majority of the deposit but hang on to a reasonable amount to cover bills?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, I can probably get someone to have a look alright. Can't do internet banking though, would have to sort it out with a cheque. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cc92

hi am myself and a few other people left our college house in a bit of a mess when our lease was up.. we got calls about tidying the place up in june (our lease finished may 31st) so we did.. da place was clean and there was no structural damage.. our landlady wants to keep our deposit as money lost for june as 'she says' she had someone lined up to rent the place.. and it wasnt cleaned on time.. now she wants to paint the entire house and wants us to pay for it without using the deposit which she wants to hold onto seperately.. can any1 provide some advice on our rights?? please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

No, she can't do that. It would be fair for her to deduct something from the deposit either for the cleaning, or for the vacant period when she couldn't let due the house being a mess. When you say a mess, was it dirty or did you leave stuff behind which needed to be cleared?

Charging you separately for the painting is cheeky. Just don't pay it, I doubt she will sue you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Define "a bit of a mess"?

She is entitled to use the deposit only to repair damage beyond what would be considered to be normal wear and tear. She also must provide reciepts for all work done, can only deduct what she can provide receipts for, and cannot deduct for work which she carries out herself.

She hasnt lost any money for June; even if the place needs a clean/paint it shouldnt be lying empty for more than a week at the absolute most. Unless you have left the place needing extensive repairs then Id tell her to go do one if she tries to deduct for the place being empty.

Make sure you have full photographic evidence of the condition of the place when you moved out; if it comes to a dispute you will need them. Also, did you take photos of the condition of the place when you moved in?

If you are in doubt of your rights then you can contact Threshold who will offer good advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Faith wrote: »
    Hey guys,

My current flatmate's lease is coming to an end soon (it end on the 17th of June). I'm leaving for the summer around the 18th of May though, and won't be there to check the place when she leaves. There's going to be some bills that she'll owe me for (the usual, phone, internet, tv, gas & electricity), but again, I won't be there to check how much these amount to. I won't be back in the flat until September then, as I'll be in the states for the summer. What's the procedure on returning the deposit? I'll need to calculate the cost of bills before returning it, minus the money for bills. Is there a timeframe in which I'm legally obliged to return it? Or can I just wait until September, check everything's okay, and then send her a cheque?

Cheers!

You should really be giving the deposit back on the day she moves out after checking that the room has been left ok. You can calculate her share of the bills by checking the meters. Of course you can't wait until September :confused::confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You should really be giving the deposit back on the day she moves out after checking that the room has been left ok. You can calculate her share of the bills by checking the meters. Of course you can't wait until September :confused::confused:

You're right. I'll send an email to 2007 there.

Best check your dates; this was a zombie thread :)

Advertisement