Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True Story

Options
  • 25-04-2007 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests, this is a hand on heart true story but only that it happened to me today, I'd probably have difficulty believing it myself.

I took a call today from a marketing company that had called twice already this week. A young guy with a Dublin 4 accent was the questioner.

At the conclusion of the interview he wanted to some confirmation details on the company.

Interviewer: what is the name of your company?

Me:"Company Name"

I.: Where is that situated.

M: Westport

I: Is that in Wexford or somewhere

M: No Mayo.

I: Is that in Ulster or Leinster somewhere….

M: Are you from Ireland?

I: Yes. What county is Mayo in

M: Are you taking the piss.

I: No. We need to know for our records. I’m not good at geography.

M: Are you really from Ireland?

I: Yes…. I’m from.........DUBLIN.

For the Dubs reading this, I'm not taking the piss, and I'm not trying speak ill of you all but it just shows that some people in Dublin have no idea of what's beyond Wicklow and Kildare. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

So where the **** is Mayo?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

you still didn't tell him where mayo is!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Not knowing where mayo is is a blessing, you were right not to tell him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

humbert wrote:
    Not knowing where mayo is a blessing,
    Knowing mayo is a dressing...

For the Dubs reading this, I'm not taking the piss, and I'm not trying speak ill of you all but it just shows that some people in Dublin have no idea of what's beyond Wicklow and Kildare. :D

Kilwhat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

RuggieBear wrote:
    So where the **** is Mayo?
    its that clinic in america

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I heard my granda talk about this place called 'Mayo'. It sounds really scary, he talked of men who drive around fields in vans with huge tyres who make love to their sisters.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I heard my granda talk about this place called 'Mayo'. It sounds really scary, he talked of men who drive around fields in vans with huge tyres who make love to their s████████.
    for a second I thought you meant sheep !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

some people in Dublin have no idea of what's beyond Wicklow and Kildare

Wicklow? Kildare? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

it just shows that some people in Dublin have no idea of what's beyond Wicklow and Kildare. :D

I once knew a girl from Carrickmacross in Monaghan who upon finding out a friend of mine was from Limerick, proceeded to say "Limerick, wow, that's nice, I've never been in Tipperary before".

After a moments confusion we realised that she thought Limerick was a town in Tipperary and when we explained that Limerick was a county she thought we were taking the piss and refused to believe us until we found an atlas...

it just goes to show that stupidity and ignorance exists in all parts of Ireland really. :(

I blame the Government :D

• Advertisement

I'm beginning to spot a pattern, limerick, mayo, cork(put in for completeness), the cunning government are leaving out the shitholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Why would anyone put a business in Mayo? All the staff would have to drive from Dublin through almost 2 hours of unpopulated wilderness to get there.

Why would anyone put a business in Mayo? All the staff would have to drive from Dublin through almost 2 hours of unpopulated wilderness to get there.

Are there even roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

mayo. where men are men and sheep are scared:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

humbert wrote:
    Are there even roads?
    its the land of wind and ghosts

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Mayo is a sandwich ingredient isn't it!

No on a more serious note. My girlfriend once worked with a guy who had only been outside of Dublin once in his 34 years in this coutry.

He had been on international holidays nut never ventured outside Dublin to explore other counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

im from roscommon and ive never heard of this 'Mayo' you speak of

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yesterday I opened the fridge door and a little Mayo man said: close the door please, I am dressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭TeenageKicks

Yes And Many People From The Country Had No Idea Where Dubln Was Esp In 1916 When We Needed Yis To Fight

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yes And Many People From The Country Had No Idea Where Dubln Was Esp In 1916 When We Needed Yis To Fight

Bit uncalled for tbh, you should read your history a bit more and you may discover that quite a few of those lads in'16 were our country cousins! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

A friend of mine was in a pub in Dublin last year when Mayo were playing Dublin (All Ireland semi final I think). After the national anthem, one girl turned around and said - Are they not going to play the other teams Anthem aswell??

Ha!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Hogmeister B

well we could have done with a bit of help in 1798 too...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

No more history and politics please.

Hugs, kisses and groping only.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

/gropes Rabies

Advertisement