Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking near Dominick Street

Options
  • 25-04-2007 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭

Hey guys!

I finally found a house, living in one of the apts there on Dominick St now. Thing is there is no parking space available in the complex so Im relying on the free evening street parking at the moment. The last few nights though I've had to drive around for about 30 mins or more to find a space :mad:

Any thoughts? suggestions? Ideas? Would be great if I could find a secure parking option. I know the Spanish Arch costs €130 ish a month, but if there was anything more reasonable than that around??

Cheers
    Katie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

You could try the Cathedral I suppose but I dunno how safe that would be for you walking from there or your car. Theres a car part beside the garda station as well. Dunno if thats free at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

the 24hr multi story in the docks? pretty big bitch of a walk though? and the other car park in lombard street just past st pats school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Back of Cathedral very unsafe, got my mirrors broken off. Near Garda station better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I live around the corner from you, I have a residents parking permit which is 10 euros per year and you can park onstreet any time day or night.

Residents parking application:
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/RoadsandTraffic/FormsandGuidelines/#d.en.599

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I live close too, with a parking permit.
    Was a bit of a hassle getting it but now I can park anywhere close to home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Yeah thanks guys, I thought about that but as my job is only a 12 month contract here I really dont fancy registering my vote and all my vehicle registration, its just too much hassle. Seems crazy that you could spend all this money on rent and have to jump through all those hoops to get a permit just to park your car. :(

I miss Kerry sometimes lol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

So, do we all live on dominick st then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Close enough...

So, do we all live on dominick st then?

No Dominick street is too hippyish for my tastes, I live close, but on an altogether more gentrified street :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

O Hehirs boards beers meet up it is then, I call the danishes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Up by Nestors Super Valu has free street parking. Well at least it did have a year ago when i lived there. Never had any trouble (Broken windows) leaving the car there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

why, parking is free after 6.30 pm and before 8.30 am...in all those side-streets around dominic street (Munster Avenue etc)

yes, it's a touch inconvenient, but it's either that or apply for resident's parking...

St Mary's Road has free parking still, but unless you are actually able to park your car properly (that is, within the lines, in a considerate way, not blocking 3 spaces with a tiny car so that no one else can park there - yes, you, blonde woman with the silver L-plates Micra or whatever it is, if you're reading this, I mean you - you will get problems with the residents...;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Jurys car park is about €1,300 for the year, with 24 hour access through the hotel. You could always talk to someone in Monroes about the parking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That car park beside the cop shop used to do deals for locals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

I had the same problem first year in college. I would have to stay up sometimes till 4 in the morning to get the free parking in woodquay, cause it was way too much hassle to get a permit. Only got my wing mirror smashed once though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

440 do u live in the apartments across the road from the roisin?
    Im living in the apartments across from the weigh inn, we have our own underground car park there.

Living in the ones across from Monroes, there is parking but one space allocated per apt and none available to rent.

So... dominick street mini meet up next week then eh!!

seriously, how much hassle can it be to apply for resident's parking???

All you need to do is register in the Electorate thingy, and fill out the form...???? Or is there something I'm missing??? Do you have to go to Dublin to get a letter stamped? Have a four-hour eligibility meeting??? Someone coming round to check if you're living where you say you live???

Seriously...

You have to get your insurance and register the vechicle to that address

and the problem with that is???

(ok, maybe I'm assuming too much here, but my car is registered to my place anyway, and everything else is, too...)

• Advertisement

Ya but for people who are just in galway for a year or are there for college its hassle having to change your address you register your car in every year

galah wrote:
    and the problem with that is???

(ok, maybe I'm assuming too much here, but my car is registered to my place anyway, and everything else is, too...)

The problem with that for me is that Im only here for 12 months and by the time I get all the donkey paper work done I'll just have to go and change it back again, and thats just too much hassle to satisfy some county council - id prefer to pay a carpark tbh.

Well that's your choice.

It does take few months to get the thing approved though. Having said that I've had a pp for coming up on 3 years, just have to fill out the form once a year and pay the 10 bob... couldn't be easier.

When you think about it it makes perfect sense that you have to have the car registered at that address, otherwise every tom dick and harry could be claiming to be living somewhere, and the real residents would never get parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

plonk wrote:
    You have to get your insurance and register the vechicle to that address

You should really do this anyway,particularly the insurance - you might find you're not covered if the address where you normally live is not the one on the policy.A city address might be considered a different/higher risk than say a country area.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

I lived in Sheerwater for quite a while and parking was a real pain. I found the easiest place to park (assuming you are goign to work the following day and will be moved before you need a parking disc was down towards nun's island by the Bish? There is usually a spot or two towards the top of the road where it meets Mill St.

Advertisement