Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

meteor site

• 25-04-2007 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

Yet again I am left ADDLED from the ****ing stupid meteor.ie website. I attempted to signup for the Phone a Friend for Free promotion and received system errors and other coldfusion code errors. Whoever the developers are for meteor.ie need a swift kick up the arsehole.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I rarely have problems with the meteor site but then i only really use the webtexts. Give them a ring and theyll set it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just ring 1905 and get them to register you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I am also having trouble with the meteor site. for the past two week I have to sign in twice before it cops on that I have signed on. and I can't use my address book like I used to. the data doesn't carry over to the main message page (I have to input the actual number instead of selecting a contact) load of b*llox. it pales in comparison to the Vodafone site, but then again Meteor are a lot cheaper and do far better deals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

Lots of people are getting annoyed with the meteor website so much so that there is a campaign to try to inform meteor of their problems Vist http://www.fachtnaroe.com/mymeteor/ join the campaign! bug meteor until they do something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I hear the O2 web site works much better. *ducks as chairs are flung in his direction*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I rarely have problems with the meteor site but then i only really use the webtexts. Give them a ring and theyll set it up

Same here. Didn't even know they had a new store till I saw this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Yes I've also noticed the website is up and down all the time over the last few weeks. I webtext using JSMS and if the Meteor site messes up then texts might not get sent. They need to sort this out fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I hear the O2 web site works much better. *ducks as chairs are flung in his direction*
    /throws a caravan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Yeah I had the same problem earlier when trying to use the meteor site. I rang them up and they said that they would try to put it through for me, but that there was some sort of problem. They said it might not be for another couple of days. But after a while I got the text saying that it had been added to my account. Happy Days:D .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The website says im set up to ring the chosen friend for free. But I still get charged for it :mad:

Tried ringing customer care sick of waiting (was on hold and its saturday night).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

mikeym wrote:
    The website says im set up to ring the chosen friend for free. But I still get charged for it :mad:

Tried ringing customer care sick of waiting (was on hold and its saturday night).

I have the same problem, and accordin to meteor customer service so do a lot of other people. Apparently the promotion isn't working right at the moment, should all be fixed by Monday and any credit that is taken away from us will be refunded back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Duffff-Man wrote:
    I have the same problem, and accordin to meteor customer service so do a lot of other people. Apparently the promotion isn't working right at the moment, should all be fixed by Monday and any credit that is taken away from us will be refunded back.

Just thought I'd let you know what the informed Meteor staff are telling me:
    Hi

Within the last hour I topped up by 20euro as per the advice given in the previous email. However I am still being charged for calls to my nominated phone a friend number.

When I rang a member of the customer care team yesterday to try and get to the bottom of this I was informed that they are experiencing technical problems with the promotion, and that it should be solved in the next few days.

So in effect I've needlessly topped up my account by 20euro to try and get the promotion working as per the previous email. Why was I given this advice from what I assume is the same team of support staff when I had someone else from Meteor support tell me something else.

At this stage what I'd like to know is:

1) Will I be refunded for calls charged to my nominated phone a friend for free number
    2) What is the agreed-on response from Meteor support on the issue. Is it technical difficulties, or is it the advice I was given regarding having to top-up. If the latter, is it then a case that top-up process is flawed.

Thanks for your help thus far,

Quoting Info <info@meteor.ie>:

> Dear
    >
    > Thank you for your e-mail.
    >
    > I have taken a look at your account and the registration history for
    > Phone a Friend for Free. You topped up your account by 20 euro on the
    > 23rd of April at 23.10 but then nominated your friend,
    , at
    > 23.14. Unfortunately , you have to top-up the account after you
    > nominate the friend so you would now have to top-up by a further 20 euro
    > to activate the promotion.
    >
    > Contact us with any further queries on free phone 1905 or info@meteor.ie
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    >
    different staff member than before
    > Customer Care Department
    > Meteor Mobile Communications
    > Tel: 1905
    > e-mail: info@meteor.ie
    >
    >
    >
    >
    Original Message
    > From:
    > Sent: 27 April 2007 15:40
    > To: Info
    > Subject: RE: Info Request My Meteor
    >
    > DOB:
    > Most recent calls:
    >
    > It looks like the meteor site allowed me to setup the "phone a friend
    > for free" at last, but when I tried the number that I had chosen the
    > usual charges had been taken from my credit.
    >
    > Can you check that the "phone a friend for free" offer is actually
    > operating properly on my account?
    >
    > Thanks for getting back,
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Quoting Info <info@meteor.ie>:
    >
    >> Dear
    >>
    >> Thank you for your email. I apologise for the delay in responding
    >> to your email.
    >>
    >> For me to access your account and to confirm that you are on the
    >> correct promotion i will require the following information;
    >>
    >> * Date of Birth
    >>
    >> * Pin Number
    >> or
    >> * 3 Most recent calls made on phone
    >>
    >> Contact us with any further information on free fone 1905 or at
    >> <mailto:info@meteor.ie> info@meteor.ie Kind Regards,
    >>
    >>
    >> Customer Care Administration Department Meteor Mobile Communications
    >> Freefone: 1905
    >> e-mail: <mailto:info@meteor.ie> info@meteor.ie
    >>
    >>
    Original Message
    >> From: info@meteor.ie [mailto:info@meteor.ie]
    >> Sent: 25 April 2007 16:55
    >> To: Info
    >> Subject: Info Request My Meteor
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Name:
    >> address:
    >> mobile:
    >> email:
    >> details: Hi. I was attempting to signup for Phone a Friend for
    >> Free, but after clicking "Sign up now" I received the following
    >> error: Batch delete friends error Can you confirm that my phone a
    >> friend for free addon is working?

Oh will you just **** off fachtnaroe? Stop posting that ****e everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I've had trouble with the Meteor webtext lately, namely trouble loading the phonebook.

And I changed from o2 specifically because of their webtext!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

fachtnaroe wrote:
    <p>Dear All,

<p>I've had a problem with Meteor Mobile now for a long time, namely their web SMS service. After much complaining that got nowhere I put up a web page with all the problems.

It's at snip

Now I've been contacted by Meteor and threatened with legal action unless I take down the page but no solution to my problem.

Any thoughts? Want to email info@meteor.ie and complain?

Want to show support in a David and Goliath situation? Direct your email to Gareth Davies.

Regards & Thanks,
    Fachtna

I'm sorry but... I have to be really blunt here... After reading your page I feel like banging my head off my wall.
    Heres my answers to your questions:
    1. I like to organise my contacts tidily, like this:
    * Murphy, James
    But the Phonebook no longer accepts that comma after Murphy! Why?

Who cares? Just name him James Murphy or Murphy James or Jimmy or something.
    2. What about my friend Paddy O'Reilly? The Phonebook doesn't accept the apostrophe! Why?

Again, who cares. Do you really have to be so picky about how the names look? Can it possibly mean THAT much to you?
    3. In fact, the phone book won't accept any of these characters:
    * &$#\"%+/\\*()^!|~`\'=[]{}@;:<>?.,
    Why?

This one I agree a bit more with. But I don't have many firends named * &$#\"%+/\\*()^!|~`\'=[]{}@;:<>?.,
    4. In the Phonebook you cannot edit an entry. You must delete it and then re-enter it if you make a mistake. Life's too short - there's no edit button? Why?

This is your first good point. You should be able to edit contacts. But again, this is hardly worth complaining about. You should have entered it right the first time.
    5. In the Phonebook the entries are not in Alphabetical Order. The entries are grouped by the first letter but not sorted by the second or subsequent letters. They teach sorting in first-year college! It's only a small thing, but Why?

I dunno, that one is weird and I've never noticed it myself. Unless you have 25 people with names starting with "M" this shouldn't really matter anyway.
    6. Why can't I make a group? I only succeeded once with a test group of three people with the name of the group all in capitals. It never worked again. In uppercase, lowercase or with any number of people, I can't make a group? Why?

Maybe you're doing it wrong.
    7. If I can't set up a group I can't send a "Group Web Text". A Group Web Text as presented on the website clearly means 1 text to a group. After which I should be able to send another 299 messages (single or group ones) that month. Now Meteor are saying that each member of the group counts as one text.
    To get my texts sent on the 13th I had to send my text to everyone in my phone book manually - I had 23 texts left for the month. Meteor are claiming this will be the result of a Group Web Text anyway. Not Fair! Why?

Yes, each text counts as one text. If you send 13 texts to a group of 13 people, thats 13 texts. Its not 1 text that 13 people are going to sit around and read. Its 13 texts. To 13 people.
    8. Bulk importing of names and numbers was my first complaint to Meteor. I am responsible for a texting list for a national organisation. When I moved from O2 I brought the numbers on the list with me and expected to be able to bulk import them - just like with O2 and away I'd go. But no; that wasn't possible.
    I phoned 1905 and explained what I wanted to do. I even gave them the necessary information to pass on to their IT department in case they didn't know how to do this. Since then: nothing.
    Oh! Wait. Not quite true. Apart from no improvement to my first request I found all the other stupid problems above. All I wanted was a common function from other companies websites; still no sign of it. Why?

If you're running a texting list for a national organisation why are you doing it from Meteor anyway? Meteor is the cheap network for the kiddies. Its not for companies. You get what you pay for.

I'm not starting a flame war or anything, sorry if I offend, etc, but seriously. Also I'm not surprised Meteor are threatening legal action after seeing your site. It is, technically, an illegal use of copyrighted material.

fachtnaroe > one would have thought that a service intended for "own private and personal use" is not the best conduit for a "texting list for a national organisation". Your complaints would seem to be most problematic for mass mailings. The connection with all the array of activities, websites and links connected with fachtnaroe is unavoidable. Why not use a commercial SMS gateway if you need to do mass mailings on a continual basis. As Maddzy said you could have made your protest without using the Meteor look.

4 posts this member has had. Each one identical. He should be taken outside and shot!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Mr Roe does have a point about apostrophes. They exist as part of many Irish names and systems should be able to deal with them.

Edit: the rest of that website hurts my eyes...the DB project is full of unrelated political vitriol which makes it look a tad unprofessional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Yet again I am left ADDLED from the ****ing stupid meteor.ie website. I attempted to signup for the Phone a Friend for Free promotion and received system errors and other coldfusion code errors. Whoever the developers are for meteor.ie need a swift kick up the arsehole.

It tends to work better in IE in my experience, just in case your using firefox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

which makes it even worse, since some people like to use standards-compliant browsers more than proprietary ones such as IE. also if its a question of percent use, IE is level if not marginally below Firefox for usage.

My own site dsi-gaming.com sees 49% people using Firefox and 47% people using IE. This is the general trend since January ( release of vista and IE7 ), before that (from september 2006) it was about 50% Firefox and 40% IE.

The fact that 'it looks better in IE' is a sign of bad design focus.

• Advertisement

JNive wrote:
    which makes it even worse, since some people like to use standards-compliant browsers more than proprietary ones such as IE. also if its a question of percent use, IE is level if not marginally below Firefox for usage.

My own site dsi-gaming.com sees 49% people using Firefox and 47% people using IE. This is the general trend since January ( release of vista and IE7 ), before that (from september 2006) it was about 50% Firefox and 40% IE.

The fact that 'it looks better in IE' is a sign of bad design focus.
    that's not much of a survey tbh. lots of gamers use firefox that's true but they're hardly representative of everyone who uses the net. i'd say its still about 80% IE because most people either don't know or don't care enough to switch.

here's a similar situation: i did a survey at a weight watchers meeting. it turns out 100% of irish people have weight problems :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

i think globally its 30 or 40% usage is firefox.
    also mobile phones and users of the the meteor site features would fall closely to the same type as gamers who remember, are often only 13 or 14 playing on their family PCs anyways.

But i digress :-) in this day and age, it should not be too hard to design your site to work according to actual internet standards using proper coding etc, and not just take the quick way out and design it specifically for one or 2 browsers cause you can be bothered checking others, or by putting in some extra work so that as many people as possible can enjoy a site.

parsi wrote:
    Mr Roe does have a point about apostrophes. They exist as part of many Irish names and systems should be able to deal with them....

Dunno many people who use their family and friends full names for their contacts list for free webtexts. Of course you might need it if you had a huge list of people you don't know. ;)

UnWanted wrote:
    Quadruple sorry about that. Should have been once. Sorry for the bother.

fachtnaroe > You shouldn't spam the boards with the same stuff and you shouldn't re-register with a different username. Its hard to believe you're not aware of that Web Etiquette based on your background www.informationtechnologyservices.ie and that you are a IT Course Co-ordinator. Since you are offering commerical IT services its difficult to dimiss the idea that your mass group texting is in someway related to these activities.

If its not, and there's every possibility they are not commercial but for a club of some sort. You should IMO be more transparent that your the meteor problems primarily effect mass group texting for large groups of unknown subscribers. It would put the problems in their proper context. Otherwise it seems disingenuous not to mention it. Even if your use is non commercial, using a service intended for personal use for group mass texting seems at best a poor choice of service/system to achieve your objectives. I would say its not in the "spirit" of Meteors service.

While I personally have not had any significant problems with Meteor. If you have indeed had no response from Meteor, have failed badly to deal with the problem and scored a PR own goal. Last time I complained about the webtext it was fixed a few days later and a rep called me afterwards to follow up. Perhaps standards are slipping?

EDIT fachtnaroe why have you now deleted your posts? /EDIT :confused:

As a matter of interest can anyone else post a comment on this story on Electric News? Doesn't work for me.
    http://www.enn.ie/blog/index.html?url=archives/205-Meteor-hits-mobile-customer.html#feedback

BostonB wrote:
    You shouldn't spam the boards with the same stuff and you shouldn't re-register with a different username. Its hard to believe you're not aware of that Web Etiquette based on your background www.informationtechnologyservices.ie and that you are a IT Course Co-ordinator. Since you are offering commerical IT services its difficult to dimiss the idea that your mass group texting is in someway related to these activities.

If its not, and there's every possibility they are not commercial but for a club of some sort. You should IMO be more transparent that your the meteor problems primarily effect mass group texting for large groups of unknown subscribers. It would put the problems in their proper context. Otherwise it seems disingenuous not to mention it. Even if your use is non commercial, using a service intended for personal use for group mass texting seems at best a poor choice of service/system to achieve your objectives. I would say its not in the "spirit" of Meteors service.

While I personally have not had any significant problems with Meteor. If you have indeed had no response from Meteor, have failed badly to deal with the problem and scored a PR own goal. Last time I complained about the webtext it was fixed a few days later and a rep called me afterwards to follow up. Perhaps standards are slipping?
    never mind he's been site banned. it appears he was unwanted :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MrMufti

Pyro Boy wrote:
    Lots of people are getting annoyed with the meteor website so much so that there is a campaign to try to inform meteor of their problems Vist http://www.fachtnaroe.com/mymeteor/ join the campaign! bug meteor until they do something

He's added a complain button but it doesn't appear to work yet. Guess it sends an email to annoy the company.

He's also on ENN at
    http://www.enn.ie/blog/index.html?/archives/205-Meteor-hits-mobile-customer.html

He's getting around!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MrMufti

BostonB wrote:
    fachtnaroe > You shouldn't spam the boards with the same stuff and you shouldn't re-register with a different username. Its hard to believe you're not aware of that Web Etiquette based on your background www.informationtechnologyservices.ie and that you are a IT Course Co-ordinator. Since you are offering commerical IT services its difficult to dimiss the idea that your mass group texting is in someway related to these activities.

EDIT fachtnaroe why have you now deleted your posts? /EDIT :confused:

As a matter of interest can anyone else post a comment on this story on Electric News? Doesn't work for me.
    http://www.enn.ie/blog/index.html?url=archives/205-Meteor-hits-mobile-customer.html#feedback

If he was bumped for spamming how could he get in to remove his posts? And isn't in his interest to leave the extra posts?

And why does CommanderVimes say he wasn't wanted? He's using his own name: is it personal?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think he has a very good point, despite being attacked and banned here on Boards for "spamming". He has contacted the company several times to address a problem which comes down to the basics of web development - stuff a first year programmer would have learned! The company choose to ignore him, and his problem. In the end he was left with no choice but to setup a website similar to Meteor (which is probably the only area where they will get him under the law) stating all the factual problems with the site.

The fact that the company is providing a poor designed website (I always wondered why Customer Service were allowed know your pin, espicaly in the contact us page), fails to listen to its customers wishes (and I believe he isnt the only one asking) and now they are taking legal action against him shows a poor web developer and poor customer relations.

The company deserves the bad publicity imo.

Yes, he may have valid points about these being seemingly easy to implement - it's the way he's going about it that's pissed me off anyway.

• Advertisement

MrMufti wrote:
    If he was bumped for spamming how could he get in to remove his posts? And isn't in his interest to leave the extra posts?

And why does CommanderVimes say he wasn't wanted? He's using his own name: is it personal?
    i said you were unwanted because you were using the name unwanted.

and would you ever **** off?

you know whats more annoying than the meteor site? you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement