Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

softmodding for an(xbox)n00b?

• 25-04-2007 5:03pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey there ,if this is breaking any rules delete it if need be.
    Basically I picked up a cheap [original]xbox last week,and ended up getting a few games with it (original copy of original splinter cell amongst them).
    I've done a bit of a search of various sites on how to soft mod it(as I'd like to be able to play video on it and so forth.Dont plan on ever using it with Live etc.
    the problem being is that either the guides are horribly out of date , or start to lash off into fairly niche terminology and assume you know what they mean(I mean I've built pcs in my spare time , and done a fair bit of creating homebrew cdrs for the dreamcast etc , but I was fairly lost after trying to read these).
    So can any of you kind lot tell me how to softmod a Pal 1.6 xbox (,kernal is 5838 ) I think.
    Also is it possible to connect up a usb key as a save card (with a bit of splicing ?) I've a few femal usb cables knocking about , and a spare xbox controller cord(well one I can take from a Lidl combi pc/xbx/ps1 pad).might save me buying an AR cable/memory card off ebay
    Failing that - anyway I can lash the xbox hard disk into a PC and copy the save file over directly?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭lardboy

I believe an Xbox controller cable is actually a USB cable with a proprietary connector on the end, so if you're happy with a bit of cutting and connecting, then it is possible, but considering it's only for a one off use, you might be better off just getting a cable off eBay and then selling it again afterwards.

I used Splinter Cell and a MS memorycard to mod a mate's Xbox last weekend, and it all went smoothly enough. If you have the right savegame, it's easy enough, but do make sure you follow the walkthrough, and BACKUP YOUR EEPROM AS SOON AS YOU CAN. Ahem. There's a youtube video that shows you what to do here.

Make sure to read around as much as possible, as there are some dangers involved in doing this mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Using the Splinter Cell hack, Copy the Save games (there are 2, one is the softmod dashboard installer, like evoX dash, the other is the save file to load this linux / EvoX from) to the xbox Harddisk.

Load up splinter cell and you should see only the one save game (The name escapes me right now). This should load up the EvoX dash. First hting to do (as was said) is to back up the EEEProm. Your gonna need this to do the HD unlocking etc in the future.
    Once this is backed up use some FTP application to transfer it off the Xbox HD and save it to another drive somewhere.
    Now, with most Softmod installers such as Softmod Installer Deluxe (Softmod version of AutoInstallerDelux) you have to have the EEProm backed up before it will allow you to install the softmod. If this goes swimingly then great, otherwise, if (like the last xbox i've done) you get an error claiming the eeprom wasn't backed up or "Error: Rename" then there is a very simple solution. While logged in Via FTP, Transfer over the softmod yourself.
    If you dont have a suitable softmod send me a PM and I can send you one.
    now when you restart the xbox you should see the EvoX screen.
    From here what you can do is download an upgraded dashboard, or use a disc like AutoInstaller Deluxe to install the other Apps or dashboards that you may want. Xbox Media Center is a must have for a modded Xbox.

Once you have the machine Softmodded, I would then (and only then) look into changing the Harddisk as its alot more tricky.

If ya need any more help dont hesitate to send me a PM.

Best of Luck

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

cheers lads , I'll have a proper crack at it in the next day or two :)I might just get an AR /and memory key off ebay as it'll kep things simple.
    (I actually knocked up a usb cable last night - I can see the usb key being accessed as the leds flash but the xbox apparently cant see it )the one thing I'm wary of is that its a 1.6 pal xbox , so I'm not sure if thats going to affect the mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭lardboy

Damn straight, XBMC is a must have!

I've had it installed as my dashboard for 4 years now and it's still the most used programme I have. It's used pretty much every day and has played every file I've thrown at it with a couple of very rare exceptions (some broken rm files and a couple of asfs). It even handles mkv files, which require special codecs on my computer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I've juts managed to softmod my old xbox through hotswapping+ndure after many many failed attempts (I lack a lot of patience!) and got XBMC onto it and it is fantastic.

However, I'm having a bit of trouble using xbmc as my dash which I would want as I will mainly use the console as a media player. In fact, XBMC doesn't even show up as an app in unleashx - I have to drill down thru filemanager to start it.

I'm still looking around at all the tuts but if someone had a basic 1,2,3 method of doing it without fcking my softmod up, I'td be much appreciated.

EDIT:
    I knew I should have been patient for just ten more minutes - job done!
    I found this link very helpful for anyone else who found it a bit awkward:
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=599202

XBMC is the dogs!

• Advertisement
Advertisement