Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Path in Software/Web Development

Options
  • 25-04-2007 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi, I am looking for some direction from experienced programmers.

I am currently looking at becoming a full time programmer but cannot decide which area is best for me. I studied Java to a high level in college and also covered software development lifecycle and relational databases. I have a good working knowledge of VBA and I have created a number of basic web sites using HTML, javascript and php.

As you can see I have a smattering of technologies but none to an employeable standard. I am looking in the area of ASP, Visual Basic, dotNet, JSP. Can anyone recommend one over the other and for what reason?

Any advice or opinions welcome, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Don't worry about your ability, most companies will assume you're a fool and train you up :)

Also don't bother looking for jobs promoting only specific languages. Which would you rather be considered for - Something really interesting being done in python (Which isnt on your list) or something half baked being done in php or vb which is on your list!

Simply put, dont limit yourself. You are in no way an expert on any topic so your options are already limited enough :)

Me personally - I'd stay away from web programming as it can be a little light hearted at times. If you can get into something like Java (j2ee) or .net you're more likely to come across enterprise application projects which will give you a better grounding overall (you'd hope at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

damnyanks wrote:
    Me personally - I'd stay away from web programming as it can be a little light hearted at times. If you can get into something like Java (j2ee) or .net you're more likely to come across enterprise application projects which will give you a better grounding overall (you'd hope at least)

I'd second this, to a certain degree.

I've noticed that there seems to be two huge "wants" from many fresh graduates:

- Games programming
    - Web programming

I know SFA about the former, so I won't pretend to offer advice.

Regarding the latter, I look at the standards set by the likes of Google and think to myself that if this were a career path I wanted to travel down, that's the type of job I'd want to be able to qualify for in X years time.

There are, however, vast areas of far less "sexy" jobs which can be as (or more) rewarding, as lucrative...whatever. Working for any good product development team can be one. Working on largescale stuff in a corporate environment (contracting or permie) can be another.

The one thing you can be sure is that while you may define the direction you head in, whatever you learn in the next few years won't last you the rest of your life. It may, however, determine what paths are easier/harder to travel down in coming years.

Ultimately, learn how to be a good developer in your first few years. Learn to be the best developer you can. Learn as much as you can.

If you don't already know what general area you want to go into, then look around, see what looks interesting, challenging and offers you the chance to learn as much as you possibly can.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mack10

Thanks for the responses guys.

I was mainly concentrating on web programming because I see so many applications these days being converted to web based apps so as to deal with the increase of people working remotely or on the road.

I think now I might look more towards enterprise application development initially (which would be something new and interesting for me) and then come back to the web areas.

There are so many technologies and development languages out there, it makes it difficult to pick one or two. I am also afraid of picking one that will become obsolete before I master it.

Thanks again for the tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

Hey man,
    I work as a full time web dev and let me tell you its an odd job. The other posters are right, right now its a very hot technology(I work with asp.net and c# mostly) and if you do get a job as a junior web dev you'll be trained in so no worries on that. just bare in mind first year is allways the worst, you'll be bombarded with information and, if you end up in a smaller scale company, will be harassed with deadlines that mean nothing and clients who are ignorant of the implications of their demands.
    Sadly, this doesnt change:P

the bonuses of the job are its usually a pretty relaxed job to have when theres no deadlines. Going forward though you can aim for team leader, senior dev and eventually a technical manager type role.

My recommendation though is, like the others said, learn. You'll spend alot of time playing catch-up in web development so I recommend you start now by looking into c# and stuff like CMS systems(the bulk of websites you'll be involved in will use a CMS of some time or another).

good luck!

Advertisement