Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Batista What a Jerk

• 25-04-2007 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

Young Black Country wrestling fans were left disappointed when an American wrestling superstar refused to speak to them or have pictures taken, it was claimed today.

Hundreds turned out to see wrestler Batista appear at Woolworths in Wolverhampton yesterday.

The store had been running a promotion where youngsters were given a prized ticket to meet the 6ft 5in giant after buying any WWE merchandise from there.

Queues snaked outside the store, with many youngsters taking the afternoon off school to catch a glimpse of the former WWE heavyweight and tag team champion just hours before he appeared in the ring in Birmingham as part of the WWE world tour.

But one of those, Sedgley youngster Kyle Peplow, went home in tears after his meeting with his wrestling idol.

Kyle’s dad Colin, of Sedgley Hall Avenue, said the way youngsters had been treated was "disgraceful".

He said: "Kyle got a ticket and couldn't sleep the night before, he was so excited at meeting Batista and he had the afternoon off school. All his mates were telling him how jealous they were.

"But when he got there we were told Batista would only be signing WWE merchandise. We queued for nearly two hours and he signed a WWE book, didn’t even look at him or say a word and that was it. His mum was trying to take a picture of the two on the mobile phone but his bouncers kept standing in the way to stop it.

"And he refused to sign a birthday card that Kyle had taken in because it is his birthday in three weeks.

"I think it is absolutely disgraceful for a man who is loved by so many kids to behave like this. We go down to the Wolves training ground all the time and they can’t do enough for us. If they can make the effort I don't see why a jumped-up bloke in tights can't do the the same. Kyle couldn't stop crying."

The 6ft 5ins hulk was promoting last night's Wrestlemania Revenge Tour at Birmingham's NEC Arena which saw Batista take on perennial favourite Undertaker. Limited tickets were available for the meet and greet session at Woolworths with the first 500 shoppers to buy WWE merchandise gaining access to see the star in the flesh. Amy Miller, 17 and Pete Stevens, 21, were one of the first to arrive outside Woolworths at 5am.

Pete, from Sandwell said he had waited for years to meet Batista, but admitted he did seem a little "jetlagged" when signing his autograph. "I didn't say much and he looked a bit jetlagged to be honest." Woolworths spokesman Daniel Himsworth said: "Woolworths is extremely disappointed that its customers were disappointed by the WWE superstar."

But WWE's Ross Walker said said two hours would normally be allocated for such a signing, but yesterday's session had to be cut to an hour because of transport problems.

What a Jerk, How Hard Would It Be to Say Hi,Get a Picture And Sign a Birthday Card, What a Muppet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Im not surprised to be honest that he would not sign non wrestling stuff....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

There was a thread here a while ago about meeting wrestlers and I mentioned that Batista was someone who I'd heard very few positive reviews of. But I did read a positive review about him later that same day, haha

Since the Foley signing, I've heard that WWE's security are usually assholes when it comes to signings. Mick didn't have WWE people with him though

Fozzy wrote:
    There was a thread here a while ago about meeting wrestlers and I mentioned that Batista was someone who I'd heard very few positive reviews of. But I did read a positive review about him later that same day, haha

Since the Foley signing, I've heard that WWE's security are usually assholes when it comes to signings. Mick didn't have WWE people with him though
    agreed..ive read and seen the same with WWE security
    Also the tall guy standing to the left of mick was from WWE but he seemed bang on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

If I was Bapriste I would'nt sign anything I didnt have to for some stupid kid who cries as easilyt as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

FX Meister wrote:
    If I was Bapriste I would'nt sign anything I didnt have to for some stupid kid who cries as easilyt as that.

Haha, you'd have some pricks on a message board somewhere callin you an arsehole then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

poor kid !! batista is the biggest dickhead in wwe right !! acting all lovely on tv nd being a prick in real life!! he might wanna take notice of mick foley !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Ah i reckon your being a bit harsh on Batista. Not my fav wrestler by any means but he was obviously under some pressure at that signing. From wrestlingobserver.com:

"The Express and Star had an article ripping on Batista's performance at an autograph session before last night's house show in Birmingham at www.expressandstar.co.uk/2007/04/24/wwe-stars-sulk-is-blow-for-fans/ The story claimed Batista refused to talk to the fans who came or have photos taken with them. I think part of the problem was due to transportation issues, he could only sign for one hour, and they had enough people there where it would normally take two hours (his original allotted time) and had to rush through, leaving kids disappointed."

Its tough in that type of situation. What does he do? Spend time taking photos with some fans and dissapoint the vast majority or try and as quickly as possible get through as many people as he can and at least give them an autograph. Tough spot to be in imo and no matter what he did he could have been accused of being a jerk or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Some people are blowing this out of all proportion. Do you believe everything in the papers?

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Some people are blowing this out of all proportion. Do you believe everything in the papers?
    I agree...especially when its the british tabloids that are telling the story..
    When I met batista he came across as a prick aswell but I dont believe everything in that article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

in fairness if i had to sit and sign 500 autographs in one day i might be a bit narky at the end of the day,people can say "oh its the fans who got them where they are" but at the end of the day wrestlers are people too who are on the road away from their families for hundreds of days of the year,yeah he might have been a bit more cheerful but the guy is probably sore from recent matches,mick was really easy going he was even flicking through books that people were giving him to sign there was no rush at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Batista before he got his main event spot was actually quite cool to fans and the general public, i remember one story of one guy approaching in a restaurant just to shake his hand, not only did he shake his hand but paid for the guys meal afterwards. This was around early 2005 i think.

But again, various stories say that since he got the belt, he's become very Ultimate Warrior esque, and not just for shaking the ropes. Not appreciating the position being put in (one of the top company guys), etc. That said, WWE security are also meant to be complete and total nazis too.

As much as i see krudlers point, a 2 second signing of a birthday card doesn't take a lot of effort! It would at least have been cold comfort for the kid as the security guards kept ****ing up the photo. **** business purposes, it's basic humanity.

But then again, it is the british tabloids ;)
    VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I posted this before but Foley put him over in his book about how Batista one day had tears in his eyes and said to Mick if there was anything he could do for the particular charity let him know.

There's 2 sides to everything and the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

Another thing to be considered that they have to stay as close to their character even at signings, and if they're heeling Batista, he'll have to act like a dick. HHH has acted like a dick at public appearances too, as has Undertaker (specifically in early 2002 during his heel run, not to mention the Westwood gym incident and he was a face then!)

Sometimes they have to be dicks against their will too.
    VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I'll bite - what was the Westwood gym incident?

Remember before Takers match with Flair at Mania 19, they were showing the fan axxess, and some stupid ol doll was crying sayinf "its so great to meet you", Taker looks up and says "there no need to cry about it!".

During the Wrestlemania Revenge tour in April 2005, Undertaker was at Westwood Gym in Clontarf, Dublin. It's about a 5 minute drive from the Point in good traffic. Basically he was there for the day and was phlemming and spitting all over the gym floor. A few guys basically approached him and had no bones telling him where to get off.

He then proceeded that we should be thankful to him and that "we (as in the yanks) helped us out during the war!".

According to the Evening Herald from around that time i think it was, but it was also confirmed by people who were there at the time apparently.

Mark Calloway - Genius at work!
    VR!

Edit - Undertaker faced Big Slow and Gay Train at Mania 19, i think you're referring to Mania X8, in the midst of his heel run i was referring to :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Westwood gym incident was before a show in dublin he went to a local gym, spat on the floor there while working out, the regulars didnt take kindly too it and there was a bit of stink over it. Made a few sunday tabloids i think.

Think that was more or less it.

Beat ya to it ;)
    VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭kentonbomb

FX Meister wrote:
    Talk about me not typing right :rolleyes:

Advertisement