Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Neons?

Options
  • 25-04-2007 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

ive recently been told that these are illegal to have on a car?! is this true?
    also is having an led light on the back board illegal too??
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

How about telling us where you have installed them all and what colour

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

i dont have them. i was buying a car that had red ones underneath them and the fella took em off cos he said they were illegal....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Only blue neons are illegal, and non blue neons cant be close to other lights such as tail / brake lamps.

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

And only skangers have them on cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

tuxy wrote:
    Yep, i seen a punto with multi colour neons underneath the car.It looks really tacky

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

tuxy wrote:

Dosent matter what some minority of the driving world has what, it you like them, have them, should not be influenced by somone elses point of view.

-VB-

That's true . But even ones done legally make your car a Garda magnet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

they are ilegal. They are more for show purposes. Could give you a lot of trouble with the guards.

louie wrote:
    they are ilegal. They are more for show purposes. Could give you a lot of trouble with the guards.

Could you link to the piece of legislation that makes them illegal?
    Not saying you are wrong, just want to read it for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

tuxy wrote:
    Could you link to the piece of legislation that makes them illegal?
    Not saying you are wrong, just want to read it for myself.

Don't know where the legislation is on it but you will definitely get more hassle off the guards with these on the car, they look seriously tacky anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

No blue lights allowed except on emergency vehicles and if fitting red,yellow neons underneath the car the bulbs must not be visible

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

NBar wrote:
    No blue lights allowed except on emergency vehicles and if fitting red,yellow neons underneath the car the bulbs must not be visible
    You sure that's not 'No flashing blue lights'?

Not your ornery onager

so red lights under the car arent illegal, they just cause hassle from the garda?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I don't know the exact rules in Ireland, but as a pointer, it's illegal to use undercar neons on a public road in England. They're for off-road/show use only there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

It's in the road traffic act somewhere. Blue lights are for emergency vehicles only. If you have red/green neons then you can for instance fit them up under your side skirts where the bulb cannot be seen but the light can be seen from them. They WILL however attract attention from the cops and they also look tacky IMO. They are good for shows etc but have no other purpose really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

are you activly looking to get pulled over by the police on a daily basis....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

esel wrote:
    You sure that's not 'No flashing blue lights'?

Get some Blue Lights on your roof that don't flash and see how long you last.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Its like most laws regarding mod's - a big grey hole.In some way or another there tied under the construction of vehicles act but theres no definite exact line Ie blue is illegal red isnt,everyone just puts there own spin on it and id image it's the same with the gaurds too.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

Is the law not:

That you can have neon lights on the car but can only switch them on when the vehicle is stationary. Otherwise there a distraction to other drivers?

They make the car look like a mobile disco anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

AFAIK, the law states that you cannot have a light within a certain distance of the ground. Also, you cant have a red neon on show from the back of the car. As rightly pointed out, the bulbs cannot b shown. In fairness, why have lights under a car that goes over ramps?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Neon Lights = Skanger Magnet!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

There are very specific rules about having lights on a car. White to the front red to the back and amber as indicators.

Also there are strict rules about measurements from the ground for these lights.

Neons look really tacky and will only attract unwanted attention from the gardai. Some gardai most of whom hate neons will prosecture you for having them. There is no fine on the spot as the general penalty applies.

This means a court appearance.

Same aswell for those blue window washer lights. Illegal.

really?? the washer ones too?? i have two red ones, they came with the car when i bought it. plus i have a flashy thing on the backboardm but it can be turned off.. the wipers ones cant afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭tensecyclist

Chief--- wrote:
    There are very specific rules about having lights on a car. White to the front red to the back and amber as indicators.

Also there are strict rules about measurements from the ground for these lights.

Neons look really tacky and will only attract unwanted attention from the gardai. Some gardai most of whom hate neons will prosecture you for having them. There is no fine on the spot as the general penalty applies.

This means a court appearance.

Same aswell for those blue window washer lights. Illegal.

Now I don't know much about these rules. I'm now ready to listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

veXual wrote:
    Is the law not:

That you can have neon lights on the car but can only switch them on when the vehicle is stationary. Otherwise there a distraction to other drivers?

They make the car look like a mobile disco anyway.

Well i presume theres nothing they can do if your in a carpark or whatever and have them turned on as your not being much of a dstraction or danger to other road users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Called the Dept of Transportation, they sent me this leaflet in my email as they couldn't provide me with a link the online legislation. Apparantly this is exactly the same.

FYI :: I asked about tinted windows as well and the only thing a guard can stop you for is if they think it impares your vision in which case they have to test it. Tinting is currently being worked out by the NCT centres but nothing has come back from them about it yet.

On a quick look (and I could be wrong here) there is nothing about neon lights what so ever. Your told what you need alright and mentions about flashing blue lights but thats it.
    LEAFLET 4

ANALYSIS OF IRISH ROAD TRAFFIC REGULATIONS

Lighting of Mechanically Propelled Vehicles

(other than cycles and tractors - see leaflets nos. 5 and 8)

A. Every motor car, station wagon, van lorry and bus must be equipped with the following at all times (night and day):-

(i) two head lamps(1),
    (ii) two side lamps,
    (iii) two rear lamps(2),
    (iv) two stop lamps(2),
    (v) two rear reflectors,
    (vi) direction indicators(2),
    (vii) identification mark lighting.

Every articulated vehicle which exceeds 13 metres in overall length and every combination of vehicles which exceeds 13 metres in overall length must display one or two rear marking(s) "long vehicle" signs as statutorily specified(17).

The foregoing lamps and lighting must comply with the requirements set out in the attached Table 1.

B. Where a load projecting to the rear or the side is carried, further lighting equipment may be necessary. These requirements are outlined in the attached Table 2. Under the Road Traffic (Construction, Equipment and Use of Vehicles) Regulations, 1963, no load (other than loose agricultural produce not baled or crated) may project laterally on either side more than 1 ft beyond the extreme edge of the vehicle. If side lamps and rear lamps are fitted within 4 ins. of the extreme edge of the vehicle the necessity of fitting lateral projecting load lamps does not arise.

- 2 -

C. Lamps and reflectors may be combined provided the requirements as to colour, position, etc. for each of the units are complied with.

D. Goods vehicles exceeding 1½ tons in weight unladen must carry at all times an advance warning device for use in case of accident or breakdown. The device must comply with the dimensions, etc. as set out in the attached diagram.

E. Large and small public service vehicles must be fitted with internal lighting of a white or yellow colour. In the case of a small public service vehicle fitted with a taximeter the internal lighting must include a lamp capable when lit of illuminating the dial of the taximeter.

F. (i) Head lamps and other front lamps used for illuminating the road must be fitted with a dipping device (4) unless -
    (a) they are permanently dipped so as not to cause dazzle(5),
    (b) their light is diffused and the bulb or bulbs capable of being illuminated at the same time in each lamp do not exceed 7 watts in power.

(ii) Lamps showing to the rear must be so fitted and constructed as to be incapable of dazzling a person who is on the same horizontal plane as the vehicle at a greater distance than 25ft. from the lamp and whose eye-level is not less than 3ft. 6ins. above that plane(6).

G. (i) As to non-obligatory lamps and reflectors certain restrictions apply viz.-
    (a) colour of lights(7),

- 3 -

(b) flashing lights(8),
    (c) dazzle(9), and
    (d) those set out below in respect of particular types of non-obligatory lamps.

(ii) If fog lamps are fitted they may -

(a) only show a white or yellow light,
    (b) only be used in fog or while snow is falling,
    (c) not be fitted at a greater height than 4ft.

The requirement as to a dipping device is similar to that of the head lamps.

(iii) Reversing lamps are not obligatory but if fitted -

(a) they must not exceed two in number,
    (b) the light must be white or yellow,
    (c) the power of each lamps must not exceed 24 watts,
    (d) they may only be used when reversing.

(vi) Parking lamps may be used provided they comply with the requirements as to colour, size, position, etc. as set out in the attached Table 1.

The lighting requirements of agricultural tractors are contained in leaflet no. 8.

EXCEPTIONS AND FURTHER NOTES

The principle exceptions and further notes are set out in the Appendix to this leaflet and are numbered for cross reference to the relevant paragraphs above.

- 4 -

APPENDIX

NOTES AND FURTHER EXCEPTIONS:

(1) Four head lamps may be fitted. In such cases they should be mounted in pairs, each pair being fitted on opposite sides of the longitudinal axis of the vehicle.

(2) Vehicles registered before 1/4/1963 are given until 1/7/1964 to be equipped with these provided that in the meantime they are fitted with the one rear lamp prescribed under the Road Traffic Act, 1933.

(3) In the case of a large public service vehicle the internal lighting must be sufficient for the internal illumination of -

(a) every deck,

(b) every stairway,

(c) any step or platform forming apart of any passenger entrance or exit other than an emergency exit.

In the case of a small public service vehicle the internal lighting must be sufficient for the internal illumination of the vehicle.

(4) A dipping device must be so constructed, fitted and maintained that it may be operated at ease by the driver and when so operated the beam of light from the lamp to which it is fitted is -

(a) deflected downwards and to the left, or

(b) extinguished and a new beam from the same lamp brought into operation, or

5 –

(c) extinguished and a beam from another lamp either brought into operation or deflected downwards and to the left,

so that such beam or the said other beam brought into operation or deflected is incapable of dazzling a person who is on the same horizontal plane as the vehicle at a greater distance than 25ft. from the lamp from which such beam or such other beam is emitted, and whose eye-level is not less than 3ft 6ins above that plane.

(6) This does not apply in the case of:-

(a) stop lamps;

(b) direction indicators;

(c) a lamp fitted to a goods vehicle and intended and used only for the purpose of facilitating unloading while the vehicle is stationary;

(d) a ploughing lamp fitted to a vehicle used for agricultural purposes and used only for the purpose of facilitating ploughing or other similar operations;

(e) a movable lamp fitted to a vehicle owned or used by a public utility undertaking and which is used for the purpose of illuminating works or equipment of such public utility undertaking.

(7) Lights showing to the front of a vehicle may only be white or yellow. Direction indicators however, may show an amber light to the front. Only white reflectors may show to the front. Except in the following cases no light or reflector may be shown to the rear except a red light or red reflector –

- 6 -
    (a) lighting used for the internal illumination of a vehicle;

(b) lighting used for the illumination of a taximeter;

(c) direction indicators;

(d) identification mark lighting;

(e) reversing lamps;

(f) lighting used for the illumination of a notice on a large public service vehicle giving information as to the route or destination of the vehicle;

(g) lighting used on a vehicle being driven by a member of the Garda Siochana in the performance of his duties as such member;

(h) a lamp fitted to a goods vehicle and intended and used only for the purpose of facilitating unloading while the vehicle is stationary;

(i) a ploughing lamp fitted to a vehicle used for agricultural purposes and used only for the purpose of facilitating ploughing or other similar operations.

(8) No lamp (other than direction indicators) fitted to a vehicle may show or be constructed or adapted so as to be capable of showing a flashing light unless such light is invisible to persons outside the vehicle.

(9) Every lamp fitted to a vehicle and when lit showing a light visible outside the vehicle must be so fitted and constructed as to be incpaable of dazzling a person who is on the same horizontal plane as the vehicle at a greater distance than 25 ft. from the lamp and whose eye-level is

- 7 -
    not less than 3ft 6 ins above that plane. This does not apply however in the case of lamps fitted with a dipping device or the lamps specified in (6) above.

(10) 4 ft 6 ins. in the case of goods vehicles registered before 1/1/1952.

(11) This only applies to passenger vehicles, station wagons and goods vehicles first registered on or after 1/7/1964.

(12) This applies to passenger vehicles or station wagons having passenger accommodation for not more than 8 persons. The maximum height in other cases is 4 ft.

(13) 6ft in the case of tipper trucks, self-propelled implements and "tractors", provided that during lighting-up hours red reflectors or devices having a red reflectorised surface are fitted at a height not exceeding 4 ft. and so that the reflector or device is plainly visible from the rear for a reasonable distance.

(14) On small vehicles two indicators (one on each side) showing to the front and rear may suffice. On larger vehicles it may be necessary to fit two pairs of indicators, one of each pair being fitted to the front and one of each pair being fitted to the rear. Combination of vehicles would probably require three pairs of indicators (depending on the size of the trailer) the additional pair being fitted at the rear of the trailer. The Regulations do not specify the precise number to be fitted in each particular case.

(15) 8 ft. in the case of vehicles registered before 1/1/1960 and designed for the carriage of petroleum spirits.

(16) In the case of vehicles registered before 1/7/1964 the colour may be -

- 8 -

(a) amber or white if showing only to the front, and

(b) amber or red if showing only to the rear.

Direction indicators may be of the semaphore or flashing type.

(17) This does not apply to:

(a) a vehicle of the Defence Forces;

(b) fire brigade vehicles;

(c) vehicles in course of manufacture or completion which are lawfully being driven to or from the premises of vehicle assemblers, vehicle body builders or vehicle distributors; and

(d) a broken down vehicle being towed by another mechanically propelled vehicle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

layke wrote:
    Called the Dept of Transportation, they sent me this leaflet in my email as they couldn't provide me with a link the online legislation. Apparantly this is exactly the same.

FYI :: I asked about tinted windows as well and the only thing a guard can stop you for is if they think it impares your vision in which case they have to test it. Tinting is currently being worked out by the NCT centres but nothing has come back from them about it yet.

On a quick look (and I could be wrong here) there is nothing about neon lights what so ever. Your told what you need alright and mentions about flashing blue lights but thats it.

Its all contained in the lighting of vehicles regulations. Can only be white tot eh front and red to the rear.

As for tints if they are not factory tints (smoked glass) and in effect a stuck on tint they are classed as an inessential sticker.

It is an offence to have an inessential siticker on your car (applies to sun visors too. Im sure youve all seen it BLAUPUNKT, YARIS or MATIZ stickers that people feel the need to plaster over their windscreen :rolleyes: )

Sick of trawling through the legislation every time this comes up. People are being prosecuted in the district courts every day for this.

Only a problem if your car is a "boy racer" car or you really annoy a garda tbh.

Advertisement