Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Wiki -Zulunotes

Options
  • 25-04-2007 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

I was doing a bit of spring cleaning the other week and I stumbled across all my old Leaving Cert notes. I know a lot of my friends have thrown out their notes, but i just feel like i put way too much effort into them to throw them away! So i thought i might make an effort to put them online, so that other people could get a bit of use/benefit from them.

Long story short, from one idea to the next, my plan evolved into this - http://www.zulunotes.com

I was looking through the "resources" sticky and i see that most of the same webpages that I used are there, but they all either seem a bit cluttered, not too much useful info, or not free! So i decided to start this thread for anyone who might be interested in joining me having a bash at making a comprehensive leaving cert wiki!

At present it has no content, but i'm going to start adding my notes and developing subjects tonight and over the next few days (starting with Biology and Classical Studies - my favourites!)

While I work away at I thought it might be an idea to post it here 1) because boards users are usually pretty helpful 2) I know I have so many notes because i thought writing them out was the best way of learning, so others here might find creating an entry on a certain topic/essay may help and 3) because everyone gets bored of study and needs some distraction, that's the only reason i'm doing it!!

So please feel free to create an account and add a page or two, or even just a bit about about subject, table of contents etc, or give some feedback here or to me by PM, all would be welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Great idea mate.:)
    When I get some time, I'll try to put some stuff up on TG, App. Maths and Physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

Cool, thanks a mil. I'm just testing the waters, but the hope was that if enough people add just a little bit each, it could become pretty damn useful. Fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

That's a brilliant idea, might try stick up some "Stair na Gaeilge" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

nice idea. (hell, I even made an account) I'm curious to see how well this works out, would really kick ass if it beat skoool.ie XD

I'll be checking it and helping out were possible.

(by the way, how much space do you have, because, best case scenario, you're suddenly going to have a lot of content very fast...)

cocoa wrote:
    nice idea. (hell, I even made an account) I'm curious to see how well this works out, would really kick ass if it beat skoool.ie XD

I'll be checking it and helping out were possible.

(by the way, how much space do you have, because, best case scenario, you're suddenly going to have a lot of content very fast...)
    I have 500mb of space, and 15gb monthly transfer, which should be more than enough for a predominantly text based wiki, but if that does become too little i don't mind throwing in a few extra euro to upgrade, and maybe put in a small google adwords block in the left column or something to fund it.

I'm going to try complete what I started today, which is taking the syllabus from education.ie and using it to create the first page (and contents) for each subject, until I have a few of the most popular subjects done.

That way, when I go about starting to put up some of my own notes at least there'll be a framework for other people to add small bits to subjects I didn't do for my LC or haven't got around to adding to!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

I'll try to help too. Latin or something lol. Cos God knows loads of people do that! Great idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ron-burgandy

Slapped up a bit of PED in economics there. Please edit any mistakes if anyone can find any.

good idea, keep it free

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Amazing idea man...i only wish I had written all my notes on computer, then I would be able to help a lot. I may type up a cuple of geog essays over the weekend and mayb some business notes.

Great idea!!!

Slapped up a bit of PED in economics there. Please edit any mistakes if anyone can find any.

good idea, keep it free
    You've officially become the first person to put up any content, congratulations!

At the moment, if anyone wants to help what the site really needs is "contents" pages in the first page of each subject. I only did 7 subjects, so I can't do them all, and some of them have changed since I did my LC. Have a look at the Biology page for what I thought might be a good template (although I'm open to suggestion!) with a large overview of each topic, and then each of those broad topics can have their own pages with lists of sub-chapters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

wow cool! gonna check it out.

• Advertisement

Thanks to anyone who's chipped in so far, 20 articles in the first week is good going, it's off to a nice slow but steady start!

I just have a quick question that someone might be able to answer... I'm putting up my biology notes at the moment, but I was the last year to do the old course (yes I'm an oldie!) does anybody know what specifically was on the old course but isn't on the new one? I know it's been cut down a bit, but did anyone hear from teachers etc. what specifically was cut? It'd save me the hassle of writing something up if it's not on the new course!

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Keep the popularity of this up. It can be very effective if people started using it. (its probably a bit late for this year tho...) I have put up a cuple of geography questions which I got almost full marks in.
    Its up to more of you guys to make some additions. It could be the resource which helps a lot of students through the leaving cert!!

Thanks a million sternn! Yeah I noticed the geography section that yourself and another user put up, which is brilliant as it's the second subject that's started by itself (i.e. that I didn't do for my leaving!)

I've been away for over a week so my input (mainly Classical Studies, English & Biology) has died off. But i'll be back at it after work this evening!

As regards this years students, i'd agree with you that one side of the sites benefit may be diminished, i.e. there's no way it will be a fully comprehensive reference/encyclopedia of the LC by the start of June! But at the same time I think that it could still prove very useful from the "learn by teaching" side of things, and the fact that it's still wide open means people aren't limited in the topics that they can practice by writing about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Are many people still putting up notes here?

I haven't put any notes up on it for a while but it appears there's a good deal more of notes that have been put up! I see the site got a bit of a revamp too, looks good!

Also, I saw the website has been nominated for an Irish Web Award for "Best Education Website"... that's deadly! Well done Man :pac:

Advertisement