Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to do - long(ish) man's hair!

• 25-04-2007 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks,

I recently (well, January) stopped cutting my hair. I've always had very short hair and my basic morning style routine was to just put some gel/wax/putty/paste/gum etc. into it and flick my fringe up, which looked fine but a bit the same as everyone else.

Now that I have some time off work (3 months in fact), i've decided to go through the awkward phase of growing it out and then having slightly longer hair, then making it look neat & professional.

At the moment, it's relatively long (fringe comes down to my eyes, slightly longer everywhere else, just about covering my ears at this stage).

I don't have a freaking clue what to do with it. I put some V05 fibre putty in my hair in the morning but it just looks greasy and dirty. But if I do nothing and just wash it, it looks even worse - once it's dry it just goes all fluffy and weird. So I think I need to put SOMETHING in it. But what? And how?

Also, what do I do with my hair when it's even longer? I want it to look respectable but also a litle funky/different.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Get a haircut, you hippie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

DON'T cut it! Long hair on boys is luscious - as long as you don't have a comb over or comb forward....

Go for a surfer type look - use light creamy (not wet look) products

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Newaglish wrote:
    Howdy folks,

I recently (well, January) stopped cutting my hair. I've always had very short hair and my basic morning style routine was to just put some gel/wax/putty/paste/gum etc. into it and flick my fringe up, which looked fine but a bit the same as everyone else.

Now that I have some time off work (3 months in fact), i've decided to go through the awkward phase of growing it out and then having slightly longer hair, then making it look neat & professional.

At the moment, it's relatively long (fringe comes down to my eyes, slightly longer everywhere else, just about covering my ears at this stage).

I don't have a freaking clue what to do with it. I put some V05 fibre putty in my hair in the morning but it just looks greasy and dirty. But if I do nothing and just wash it, it looks even worse - once it's dry it just goes all fluffy and weird. So I think I need to put SOMETHING in it. But what? And how?

Also, what do I do with my hair when it's even longer? I want it to look respectable but also a litle funky/different.

exact same situation brother!

what to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Strokesfan wrote:
    DON'T cut it! Long hair on boys is luscious - as long as you don't have a comb over or comb forward....

Go for a surfer type look - use light creamy (not wet look) products

Does such a thing exist? Everything I find in shops appears to be of the wet look or ultra strong hold variety.

Also, how do I apply said product?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boffin

You need to get it cut into a fella long hair style - if it's not in a style then it can be very hard to get it to look smart i.e. not that scruffy student look that seems to be so polular - just be careful of the hairdresser you go to - would recommend a proper barber because I have seen fella's with long hair get their hair cut in salons by hairdressers who are use to styling women and it looks hilarious - they have a beautiful cut but usually it would be better suited to a 40 year old women!!! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

post a pic???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'd generally just keep it combed back with a lot of gel untill it's long enough to tie back, or let down without it getting in your face.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

i could have wrote the original post! Although, i can still put crap in it and kind of style it up, but it gets harder as time goes by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

My hair is long-ish like yours too and I use brylcream wax .very small amounts takes the frizz out.too much makes it look very greasy.you could try that.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭artnotort

my boyfriend used to have hair like that and and he used fish wax from boots.
    it worked if i fell for him, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Use wax not gel in your hair. Just put a tiny bit on your hands and muss the hair up. After a few minutes the hair should fall into place in a non-frizzy/puffy look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭potty pete

First of all, never heed bollocks's advice. He's coming across very bald. As for the hair issue, we should all be listening to Vince Noir. He has come out with sterling advice in the past ie "It's your basic backcomb structure, slightly root-boosted, frame and a cheeky fringe".
    Give it a wash, whilst wet slap in a small amount of gel which should look after the fluffyness. Whence dry, a moderate straighten and add a bit of wax, moulding it to the look of your favourite stroke. Should sort itself right out.

Goth Juice... The most powerful hairspray known to man. Made from the tears of Robert Smith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭potty pete

I've got excellent hair, by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

i usually just put a hat on for a while after drying my hair. Flattens it nicely preventing that fluffy look and its alot less messier than using various waxes and gels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

I've heard of the hat advice, and tried it, it works for me, though my problem was more that when I grow my hair longish it has tons of volume (and fluffyish too)

I've consistently had short hair all my life, and the only time I ever tried growing it long at all, it looked absolutely shocking horrible, like a big basketball of hair around my head...my hair's really straight too, if it was even slightly curly I could try putting a bit of wax into it, but I find when it's straight like this it doesn't work at all, just makes it look dirty with no real positive effect other than reducing the volume a bit...I think the only real solution is to get it decently cut/styled, but I have no idea where to do it, my local barber only has one haircut, they give you "ugly skanger" no matter how you ask them to cut it :)

I'm trying to grow it long(ish) butboffin's advice is ominous about salons, so my question is, where's a decent place for a guy to get his haircut in Dublin? and not too expensive either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Ive got the same problem but ive developed a floppy fringe, dont know what to do with it.

286542953a4221756783b860697330ml.jpg

seo é mo cheann bout a week ago.. not as long as the op's but now facing the exact same problem as i said before.. problem now though is that it does need to be cut as its turning into a slight mullet,:eek::eek: and its getting impossible to use anything to keep it up:(
    i use dax wax and that works but i lost it in paris now on shockwaves
    tuff stuff grrr... im afraid as to what any barber in sligo's gonna do with it:confused::o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭ALS

THhe barber shop in Hueston station is excellent and not too expensive about 13 euro i think, going there about 18 months and always get a class haircut :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Newaglish wrote:
    Howdy folks,

Now you'll still look like everyone else :D

I've reached the dreaded 'need a trim' phase.

My hair is currently down to my eyebrows/past ears. It looks fine in the front but I need a trim to tidy up the back and maybe the area around the ears. However no doubt if I went into a barber I'd somehow come out with a blade 3. Should I risk it? Hmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Sangre wrote:

My hair is currently down to my eyebrows/past ears. It looks fine in the front but I need a trim to tidy up the back and maybe the area around the ears. However no doubt if I went into a barber I'd somehow come out with a blade 3. Should I risk it? Hmmm
    I'm at that stage too. Been thinkin of goin into Grafton Barbers as they're highly recommended but I have no idea what to ask for! My usual used to be a 4 on the sides and back and tight on top!!

Sangre wrote:
    let us know how ya get on please :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 princess k

hiya...if you're brave enough you should go to a unisex hair salon...my son is growing his hair and is very particular about it,the ladies seem to be less scissor happy and actualy listen to how he wants it done..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Take it from someone with hair half way down his back. If you want it long, dont cut it! At all! There's no way of getting around the bad hair phase. You just have to suck it up and live through it. All cutting does is actually prolong the awkward stages.

well i didn't bother getting it cut, didn't want to risk it.

Advertisement