Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduations

Options
  • 25-04-2007 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

Question: Why don't men get to wear hats for graduation in Irish universities?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

because our education isn't capped after graduation ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spectator#1

johnf&#225 wrote: »
    Question: Why don't men get to wear hats for graduation in Irish universities?

Irish men have lovely hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I'm gonna refuse to wear mine for my graduation. It's a really horrible tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

beanyb wrote:
    I'm gonna refuse to wear mine for my graduation. It's a really horrible tradition.

I've heard you are not allowed to participate in the ceremony if you refuse to wear it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spectator#1

I've heard you are not allowed to participate in the ceremony if you refuse to wear it.

Nah, I don't think that's true. A few girls at my grad didn't wear the caps and I don't think they got any hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

beanyb wrote:
    Ditto, and I couldn't give a flying fuck what anyone says to me over it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Why do ye all care anyway? one of the girls in our class went on about having to wear it for ages, can't remember what she ended up doing on the day after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

A few of my female friends didn't wear theirs and nothing was said. I wore mine for both graduations because.. Silly hats! How great are silly hats?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Ah they're gonna be fun.

In UUJ the guys wear the hats too interestingly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I wore mine, because I was already doing my masters, so it emphasised the silliness to me, plus hat-hair is gas altogether shure dontyaknow! I think getting flustered about something that's patently untrue and outdated is a bit silly and pointless. Plus, when you rent your gown you have to take it, it's in the plastic bag. May as well have it on your head as have to carry it around all day. I have better things to do with my hands thanks. (Like make shadow puppets.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I think it was that the head of the university could refuse to shake your hand when you receive your qualification.

You hear that many bullshít stories about it it's hard to know whats true.

Ah sure just do what myself and boneless did and don't go to the graduation ceremony. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Chinafoot wrote:
    I think it was that the head of the university could refuse to shake your hand when you receive your qualification.

You hear that many bullshít stories about it it's hard to know whats true.

Ah sure just do what myself and boneless did and don't go to the graduation ceremony. :p

We had our own ceremony! I wore a lovely hat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

beanyb wrote:

Me too!Im not going through 6 years of a medical degree to put a 'cap' on my education! Though I will throw it up into the air at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

Incidently, when do we find out when our graduations are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Ours (Arts) were at the beginning of December last year. My mate informed me after the exams (think she heard it from a lecturer). Can't remember when we got the official letter though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Check here for info: http://www.ucd.ie/confer/schedule.htm

Edit; what the hell???? My degree is no longer called radiography????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

According to that im graduating the DAY AFTER electric picnic???! Why oh why!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I like the hats. They look nice.
    I'm happy wearing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Someone who refuses to wear it should get over themselves. They get to wear a motorboard, tassle and all. Lucky whooores.

• Advertisement

You wouldn't by any chance mean mortarboard, would you Sangre? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If I got a motherboard and a tassel, would that count? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I'd wear a motorboat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Arts graduations suck. I won't be with anyone i know. Mine is at 11 and my best mates one is at 4. Not hangin round for that. Bah.

Yeah, I graduated the day after most of the people I knew. Sucked a bit. At least if it's the same day you still end up going out together.

Advertisement