Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sprint Training Question

Options
  • 25-04-2007 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭

I ran 100m for the first time in years the other day. Time 17.7secs. I took 30 double strides. This gives a distance of 3.33m per stride @ one per 0.54 sec.
    This compares to 10 secs for 23 strides for a top athlete, typically, giving an average of 4.3m per stride @ one per 0.45 secs.

I also tried a 40m run, 12 strides, 6.6 sec. I know this is used as a benchmark for some sports.

Im wondering, how do I improve my time? And realistically, what percentage gain can I expect to be able to make? Should I worry more about increasing the rate of stride, or the distance of each stride? Does high stepping help? What about weights, squat, deadlift etc.? I'm wary about tearing a muscle in my stomach, how much is too much?

If I got below 15 secs I'd be delighted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Here are some data of elite athletes' stride length data:
    100m Final, 1988 Olympics, Seoul, South Korea
    The following data was obtained from "Scientific Research Project at the Games of the XXIVth *******d - Seoul 1988'', Bruggemann, G. and Glad, B. (eds), IAAF and Charles University, Prague (1988)".

Ben Johnson

Stride analysis: Interval # rate ave. length
    0-100m 46.6 4.76 2.15m

Carl Lewis

Stride analysis: # rate ave. length
    0-100 43.6 4.40 2.29

Linford Christie

0-100 43.8 4.39 2.28

Calvin Smith

0-100 43.9 4.39 2.28

Dennis Mitchell

0-100 45.7 4.55 2.19

Robson DaSilva

0-100 44.6 4.41 2.24

Desai Williams

0-100 45.7 4.52 2.19

As you can see, stride rates vary from 4.39 to 4.76 strides per second. Stride lengths vary from 2.15m to 2.29m. These are average values. These guys would be reaching 2.6m towards the last part of the race.

Your figures are 3.4 strides per second and 1.7m length. You might try some basic quickness drills and short speedwork to see if you can improve to first figure to over 4. If you can't beat four, without compromising your natural stride length, then you may not be equipped with enough fast twitch fibres beloved of the fast men. Basic leg strengthening exercises will improve your stride length, though this takes time.

You need to improve both figures, and not try to improve one at the expense of the other. Your core strength is also extremely important when sprinting. Check out the stickies in the fitness forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

I would recommend that at the stage where you are you shouldn't be too worried about counting stride length or stride numbers. As slowcoach says, work on your speed drills and overall conditioning. The article below is a good introductory article to developing speed. If you follow the basics of speed training, the increased stride length/cadence comes naturally. Main problem I have with athletes focusing on stride length etc is a tendency to overstride with poor dorsiflexion of the foot which is a disaster as you lose so much momentum as you are too forward with your landing foot, meaning your hips sink, your ass drops and you lost a massive amount of force. Mach drills are good for improving posture and simulating the correct way to sprint. Remember, your lead foot should hit the ground just ahead of your centre of gravity not way out in front with your landing foor dorsiflexed, thats your toes cocked back towards your body.

My advice, forget about counting strides, read up a little and follow the basics and you will see massive improvements.

http://www.elitetrack.com/articles/maximumspeed.pdf

http://www.gillathletics.com/articles/MachDrills.pdf
    http://www.elitetrack.com/articles/cissikspeed.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I agree entirely with the above post. For any high speed skill, you absolutely cannot be thinking about it while executing; it should be completely automatic and natural. Hence the requirement for drills.

You can still assess your stride length and cadence, but not while under race or time trial conditions.

Advertisement