Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on Boxing Mechanics.

• 25-04-2007 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just wondering what are thoughts on Boxing Mechanics regarding punching in order to generate maximum power. Do you guys turn the hips slightly before the arm and shoulder (thus generating that "whip" effect). Or do you move the hips, shoulder/arm at the same time?

Any insights are greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks,

Rob.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Hi Rob-
    The punch (the cross for this example) should come from the feet, slightly turn your heel outwards, this will make your hips pivot-let your waist folliow and twist as much as possible with the shoulder then arm joining in to finish the punch mechanism. if you get this the same mechanics work with all punches but come from different positions.
    everything twists from your foot to your forearm, for a strong shot keep foot planted to the ground also,,try it and tell me if it makes sense-its much easier when you can show it!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Interesting question. I'd imagine that what you're asking about is a similar principle to the "late release" in a golf swing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think the punch comes first from the feet and how you are positioned. It's all in the legs and hips that generate the power. The actual hand just delivers the blow. The swivel action is the key

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭henryb

hi baggio. Cowzerp somes it up really well there. Youre punch should
    really start from youre toes and almost feel like its 'moving,
    through youre body, if that makes sense?
    its true you can generate more power standing flat footed,
    but one thing i always tried to instill into my boxers in
    the past is to keep up on their toes as much as possible.
    For the reason been, if you get caught hard, (punched) flat footed
    the punch always seems to do a lot more damage!
    Im a big believer in having good footwork.
    Hope that helps a bit, it can be difficult to come across sometimes in
    writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭BrianD3

walshb wrote:
    I think the punch comes first from the feet and how you are positioned. It's all in the legs and hips that generate the power. The actual hand just delivers the blow. The swivel action is the key
    I agree with this and with what cowzerp and henryb posted. However this is pretty fundamental stuff and I think the OP is asking a different and more technical question.

Think of it like this: When you throw a punch from the feet, legs and hips, do you let your upper body "lag" a little behind the movement of the hips etc. Or is it more of a fluid movement. If you do lag and get the timing just right it might be possible to generate more speed and power in your shots.

At least I think that's what the OP is asking :)

It may be that boxers that are regarded as hard punchers are doing this without even realising it. It would not be something that could really be seen with the human eye, slow motion would be needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

cowzerp wrote:
    Hi Rob-
    The punch (the cross for this example) should come from the feet, slightly turn your heel outwards, this will make your hips pivot-let your waist folliow and twist as much as possible with the shoulder then arm joining in to finish the punch mechanism. if you get this the same mechanics work with all punches but come from different positions.

Hey man,

Thanks for the info'. I was out on the bag this evening. And I was trying to put what you were saying into practice. It's definitely made a bit of a difference (I gotta keep practicing though. :)).

How's Glenn btw? I've not talked to him for a while.

Cheers,

R.

PS - cheers for all the replies guys. I'm really eager to be a decent puncher.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Glenn's good-still training hard, we're training hard as usual-talk soon..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

be good to meet up with him again (and yourself :)) at some point.

Cheers,

R.

Advertisement