Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring domain & hosting away from Eircom.net

Options
  • 25-04-2007 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone has had to transfer a domain name out of Eircom.nets grip to another registrar and if you have, do they let go easily or do I have my work cut out for me?! Any other pointers would be appreciated.

I have a client who is currently being billed €441.84 ex VAT per annum for... wait for it...; 1 .com domain name + hosting which is simply described on the invoice as "10MB Unix Starter Pack, 5 Password protected Mailboxes and Website URL". :rolleyes:

He doesnt even use the hosting, he literally uses just one email account :o

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It can be done, but you will need to ensure that your client liases with Eircom to avoid issues.

If the domain in question is a .com you will need to get Eircom to unlock the domain and provide the EPP key. They should also update the contact email address to that of your client (they've a nasty habit of using one of their contact emails)

Once you've done all that (which will involve calling Eircom and getting a cancellation sheet) you can then initiate the transfer via the new host.

HTH

Michele

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

We're doing this with a dot ie at the moment. We took on a client who had bought the domain and hosting from eircom but never used the hosting. They asked us to do a site.
    Eircom first flat denied that we had a package with them (until we got them to ping the domain!). It took weeks to get somebody at eircom who could give us the login details for the ftp, and we had to figure out the server address ourselves with pings and guesswork. The prices are ridiculous and we've been less than impressed with the customer support. There isn't even a control panel. We're gradually escaping!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

Thanks guys,

Eircoms registrar appears to be Network Solutions and as you rightly said Michele I will need the EPP code and have the domain unlocked. Through a search I found a step by step instruction on the procedure for transferring a domain away from Network Solutions to Godaddy which has made it fairly clear for me. At least i can see what will be required of Eircom in the proccess.

PDF Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭WhatsGoingOn

Philbert wrote:
    Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone has had to transfer a domain name out of Eircom.nets grip to another registrar and if you have, do they let go easily or do I have my work cut out for me?! Any other pointers would be appreciated.

I have a client who is currently being billed €441.84 ex VAT per annum for... wait for it...; 1 .com domain name + hosting which is simply described on the invoice as "10MB Unix Starter Pack, 5 Password protected Mailboxes and Website URL". :rolleyes:

He doesnt even use the hosting, he literally uses just one email account :o

Thanks..

Prepare for a lot of heartache and pain. It is not easy dealing with Eircom.net, you'll need a lot of patience..

Prepare for a lot of heartache and pain. It is not easy dealing with Eircom.net, you'll need a lot of patience..
    If you follow their procedures it should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

One thing to keep in mind if you are moving all services away from eircom is to ensure that they remove any authorative records for the domain from their nameservers as they can be a bit lax when it comes to this and it will cause you a headache once you move to a new provider.

Asok wrote:
    One thing to keep in mind if you are moving all services away from eircom is to ensure that they remove any authorative records for the domain from their nameservers as they can be a bit lax when it comes to this and it will cause you a headache once you move to a new provider.

They've dealt with that in their transfer / cancellation document

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

blacknight wrote:

Ah good to hear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

client of mine wanted this and to change the email was an absolute nightmare, they gave up in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

blacknight wrote:

Even removing the domain from the mailserver's rcpthosts file?

• Advertisement

regi wrote:
    Even removing the domain from the mailserver's rcpthosts file?
    The transfer / cancellation process they put in place in the last year or so covers all that.

Most of the problems arise when people don't bother contacting Eircom or with domains that were registered with Eircom years and years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Why all Irish ISP do not have an automatic process for this kind of thing ?

EPP key, send a fax, etc...are so studid ways of changing DNS entries, or even moving your DNS to another ISP.
    A domain name change, from moving to another ISP point of vue, takes me 48 hours after I request it, this is an ISP rule (Don't know which one...) that drives most of the ISP worldwilde, everytime I did get this, emails where automatically sent to my current hoster to order him to delete entries and it has always been done within the 48 hours.

mick.fr wrote:
    Why all Irish ISP do not have an automatic process for this kind of thing ?

There are a lot of reasons
    mick.fr wrote:
    EPP key, send a fax, etc...are so studid ways of changing DNS entries, or even moving your DNS to another ISP.

You don't need EPP codes / keys to update DNS

EPP codes are needed if you want to move a domain between registrars ie. change the billing
    mick.fr wrote:
    A domain name change, from moving to another ISP point of vue, takes me 48 hours after I request it, this is an ISP rule (Don't know which one...) that drives most of the ISP worldwilde, everytime I did get this, emails where automatically sent to my current hoster to order him to delete entries and it has always been done within the 48 hours.

I don't know what you are talking about. Rule for whom? Where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

blacknight wrote:
    There are a lot of reasons

You don't need EPP codes / keys to update DNS

EPP codes are needed if you want to move a domain between registrars ie. change the billing

I don't know what you are talking about. Rule for whom? Where?

Thanks for the feedback.
    I am not going to argue around the reasons as I know them already (Why bother creating an automatic process with backend and frontend system while we can simply as for 500 euro/year for a .com or .ie with 10MB hosting and 5 email addresses lol).

Not your case Michele, neither 365, but I know a lot of stupid ISP/Hoster are asking for insane money to do this.
    Take Magnet for example, they are completely nuts with their hosting offer.

EPP fair enough.

About the rule as I said I don't know, I have copy of emails I get a couple of months from my US and Canadian ISP stating the delays, and it sounded like a rule they respec (or not) for domain transfers.
    I'll post the content later on today when I'll be back home.

Mick

mick.fr wrote:
    About the rule as I said I don't know, I have copy of emails I get a couple of months from my US and Canadian ISP stating the delays, and it sounded like a rule they respec (or not) for domain transfers.
    I'll post the content later on today when I'll be back home.

Mick

Ah. Now it makes more sense

You're talking about the domain transfer emails which a lot of the registrars have a 48 hour rule on.

Advertisement