Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is a the linksys WAG345Gv2 a pile, or am I being a div?

Options
  • 25-04-2007 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

First off, this is a copy a posting I made to the wireless forum, so apologies if this violates etiquette. Message follows:
    Hi, I'm bracing myself for my third return to Peats in just over a year with this router (must get the correct model when I get home, but it's the little one without an aerial Peats have been selling for a good while).

First one I bought, couldn't connect to PC wireless or ethernet. Got it replaced (though worked fine in Peats, alledgedly) and ok for just over a year when it started failed POST (perpetually blinking power on led). Since out of warranty went and bought another, connected to console over wire and wireless but didn't use it while I figured my ISP settings.
    So last night already to go, and it starts failing it's POST again. Followed the linksys web site instruction to flash the latest firmware but no joy there and don't think I was able to reset the machine (the power led never stopped flashing however long I depressed the reset switch for).

I've never had any problems with the wired modem I got from BT, or any other equipment, and to my mind this failure rate is not acceptable.

Am I just unlucky or is there some underlying cause e.g. voltage in my phone line or me doing something stupid?

<update from http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53132156#post53132156&gt;
    The precise model is the WAG345Gv2. I find the reset procedure problematic to say the least (after all it is the weapon of last resort so should be robust). The supplied docs say depress for 10 secs, linksys.com says 30. I have tried both umpteen times, there doesn't appear to be any feedback i.e. the led blinks at constant rate irregardless. So it's not until I've changed my PC IP setting that I can confirm that the reset hasn't worked (it has worked in the past, though what the leds were doing at teh time is lost in the mists of time).
    One thing has occurred to me about my procedures - I kept the microfilter on the phone line from the original BT ADSL modem (zyxel prestige 623-t1) rather than use linksys one.
    Could this be blowing up my routers?
    Going to xpost this in broadband forum, mods strike me down if na.

Comments

I had the exact same problem. I was on BT and the router was working fine. Then switched to Digiweb. Thought the router was dead so i took it back to the shop. Got a new router and had the same problem. I tried everything including flashing the old and new router. I gave the router on a loan to my friend and it worked fine with him. Anyway after a few weeks of scratching my head I bought the 25 euro router you get with eircom pretended to sign up. Router now working fine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

I had the exact same problem. I was on BT and the router was working fine. Then switched to Digiweb. Thought the router was dead so i took it back to the shop. Got a new router and had the same problem. I tried everything including flashing the old and new router. I gave the router on a loan to my friend and it worked fine with him. Anyway after a few weeks of scratching my head I bought the 25 euro router you get with eircom pretended to sign up. Router now working fine

Could be wrong here but the cause of your problem could be a neighbours wireless signal on the same channel as you. Thats why it worked in your friends house. The routers provided by the different BB providers have different default channels.

I had this problem in my sisters house. I sent the router back to BT and had the same problem with the replacement. I then figured out how to change the channel and hey presto it all worked.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Is there any way to bring up a wireless router (linksys) without wir4eless enabled? Seems a fundemental flaw in that by the time you get into the console via ethernet to enable WEP some scally could have got in over the wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Only connect it to you PC 1st.
    Have MS Client, Printer & Filesharing etc all deselected, only TCP/IP on Network adaptor.

Set up everything then connect to internet.
    Disable administration by Wireless if possible,

Advertisement