Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is chicken bad for dogs?

Options
  • 25-04-2007 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

I feed some small portions to my dogs (bones removed of course). The thing about chicken - which is home cooked is that it produces a lot of grease/fat etc when its being cooked and it is this that I worry about. Obviously the grease is not fed to the dogs but the meat itself obviously would retain a lot of it. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Well as far as the meat goes - it depends on what part of the bird & how you are cooking it.
    The fact that it is losing a lot of the fat, means less is left in the meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Just make sure it IS cooked.

Rice with chicken is the favourite recommendation for dogs with tummy upsets or recovering dogs (from our vet, anyway) ...so it can't be that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Studies have shown that ingesting too much chicken can cause males to develop big cleavage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭andrawolf

chicken is good for dogs. vets recomend boiled rice and chicken for sick dogs or and upset stomach. Dogs need so much fat they are not like us and need to watch there fat in take. If you are giving the right amount for there size. If they where wild they would not look and there dinner, ie. a duck and think wow that skin is to fatty I will peel it of. There is even a diet now for dogs called the raw diet. Am not to sure of it myself! But it says you can give bones to dogs but only in there raw state.:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Archeron

I read before that turkey (in particular the skin) is really bad for dogs; just something to keep in mind come the festive season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Raw chicken goes down a treat in my house, necks and wings for the dogs and necks for the cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Studies have shown that ingesting too much chicken can cause males to develop big cleavage!

I better cut down on the bit of chicken myself so!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

you worry way too much about your dogs. if dogs can eat raw meet, i think they can handle a little bit of grease.

Advertisement