Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Christianity Forum

Options
  • 26-04-2007 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was having a debate in the Christianity forum. It was about the effect of the reformation and how much impact it had on the Western world and the progress of Science.
    One poster, PDN, seem convinced that the there was a strong correlation between reformed churches and scientific progress.
    I was pointing out how some coutries like India had a degree of technical innovation before Christian or Reformed churches went anywhere near them.
    He suggested a book for me to read, I suggested one for him to read. He had already read that book and suggested for to read it properly. I spent over a month already reading it.
    I found his remark a bit patronizing (and his insinuations about Eastern culture a tad arrogant) so I told him his last argument was pathetic.
    I was warned for using the word "pathetic". I found this ridiculous and challenged it i.e what was wrong? Me thinking patronizing remarks about me were pathetic or me saying what I was thought.
    I was banned.
    I do not think this is fair.
    Here is a link to the debate.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055080846&page=5
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

When will people learn not to bother the theists?

you can't win against faith....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Some words and phrasing are allowed and some are not. Which is which is always going to be a line in the sand, which it's up to the mods to draw. Obviously you crossed the line, but I suppose where the line should be could be debated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Crucifix wrote:
    Some words and phrasing are allowed and some are not. Which is which is always going to be a line in the sand, which it's up to the mods to draw. Obviously you crossed the line, but I suppose where the line should be could be debated.
    Or update the charter. It seems ridiculous someone can make patronizing remarks about you and you are ot allowed use the word "pathetic" to defend yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

If a post is insulting you would you not just report it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You were banned for that?

Er, ok, yeah...

• Advertisement

6th wrote:
    I didn't feel it was insulting enough to report it. I just thought it was patronizing, arrogant and pathetic. I thought I was able to point that out myself. It was really annoying to be warned, that I effectively could not do this and if upon challenging that I get banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

6th wrote:

You'd report a post because someone told you to go read a book properly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Look, Boards is rated over 12s these days. You can't annoy some mods and you can't upset their egos. There's only ever going to be one result. Surely this is in the rules of the site that you read before you registered?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Boston wrote:
    You'd report a post because someone told you to go read a book properly?

No, I wouldn't, because I wouldn't be insulted by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Tim, you haven't given the full story here. I believe that a thread you were involved in was locked because it had gone way off-topic.

You then proceeded to open a new thread where you said the following:
    Hi,
    I was just wondering in Christianity, does the concept of a pathetic argument exist?
    If it does exist, and you are asked what you think of such an argument, should you be truthful and say it's pathetic or should you lie?

This new thread has since been deleted so I can't link to it.

That's clear provocation in my view. I would say that you had already received a warning and ignored it, therefore the ban should hold. I wouldn't think something like this should be a perm-ban from the forum though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

If you have a problem with a warning, however ridiculous you think it might be, surely the best course of action is to PM the mod and not debate it on-thread?

Starting another thread like you did was never going to end well for you.

r3nu4l wrote:
    Tim, you haven't given the full story here. I believe that a thread you were involved in was locked because it had gone way off-topic.
    That's clear provocation in my view. I would say that you had already received a warning and ignored it, therefore the ban should hold. I wouldn't think something like this should be a perm-ban from the forum though.
    Thank you for including that as I had no access it to it myself.
    I see nothing wrong with the above post, it is provocative and challenging but it gets to the core of the issue. There is either something wrong with
    1. me thinking a patronizing remark about me is pathetic
    or
    2. saying that I think it is pathetic?

However if you are really interested in the full story you should also point out that I actually commended PDN in several posts. I called one of his patronizing remarks pathetic.

My point was that starting that thread after the mod locked the previous thread was probably what got you banned. It doesn't matter how well you behaved up until that point.

Starting a new thread to get around the fact that the mod locked the previous thread is not "challenging and provocative", it's sticking two fingers to the mod (fight the powah) and saying, I'm going to continue my rhetoric whether you like it or not.

The only thing that thread was going to do was fuel more argument, not much of it constructive I imagine. You really should have PM'ed the mod. I'd say that to any user on any forum that was banned for that reason.

r3nu4l wrote:
    My point was that starting that thread after the mod locked the previous thread was probably what got you banned. It doesn't matter how well you behaved up until that point.

Starting a new thread to get around the fact that the mod locked the previous thread is not "challenging and provocative", it's sticking two fingers to the mod (fight the powah) and saying, I'm going to continue my rhetoric whether you like it or not.

The only thing that thread was going to do was fuel more argument, not much of it constructive I imagine. You really should have PM'ed the mod. I'd say that to any user on any forum that was banned for that reason.
    The thread was locked because it went off the OP, so I started another thread to try to resolve the issue.

Is there anyway I can access the archives of that forum? I am pretty certain worse things than pathetic argument were actually said to me before this fiasco.

You might be able to view a cached version of the page on Google. Not sure about the archives to be honest, I have stumbled across them in the past but I've never actively sought them out.

Either way, what was said to you by others beforehand isn't really the issue in this particular instance. I think*the issue is the starting of a new thread that would continue an old argument when the mod had specifically locked the thread to stop any further continuance.

*Obviously I can't be sure as I'm not the person who banned you. Have you PM'ed the Christianity mods?

r3nu4l wrote:
    You might be able to view a cached version of the page on Google. Not sure about the archives to be honest, I have stumbled across them in the past but I've never actively sought them out.

Either way, what was said to you by others beforehand isn't really the issue in this particular instance. I think*the issue is the starting of a new thread that would continue an old argument when the mod had specifically locked the thread to stop any further continuance.

*Obviously I can't be sure as I'm not the person who banned you. Have you PM'ed the Christianity mods?
    I think it's a bit deeper than that. A particular mod just doesn't like me. All sorts of nonsense is allowed on that forum, have you seen the creationalist thread?

Eeks, I can't really comment on mod<->user incompatibility issues. I think that's an issue for the mod to address himself, possibly via PM. Doing it all on the Feedback forum can make things ugly.

r3nu4l wrote:
    Eeks, I can't really comment on mod<->user incompatibility issues. I think that's an issue for the mod to address himself, possibly via PM. Doing it all on the Feedback forum can make things ugly.
    Fair enough, I withdraw the comment for the sake of peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Is there anyway I can access the archives of that forum?

Log out.

bonkey wrote:
    Log out.
    It only keeps the last 20 or so threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

It only keeps the last 20 or so threads.
    Go down the bottom and there'll be a drop down with "From the" in front of it, and set that to beginning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

you can change that at the bottom of the screen of the main part of the forum. Ie, not in a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Oh my! Another thread on this. Including the provocative thread deleted from the Christianity forum, you have this opened this thread on the matter and yet another one in the atheist/ agnostic forum. 3rd time lucky, eh! Or 4th time lucky if you include the original post! You are obsessing. I believe I am too :rolleyes:

The way I see it is (I'm speaking for myself here):

1) You were warned on the matter but persisted. This persistence was the real problem.
    2) You made some accusations that you would be 'mysteriously' banned. This was in reference to a technical glitch or some such that prevented another person logging on a week or so ago. The implication of this was to not-so-subtly declare the mod as untrustworthy.
    3) You opened a deliberately provocative post (r3nu4l provided a copy) minutes after the initial thread was locked.
    4) To date you continue with your tirade. Maybe a new fora on the matter, perhaps?

For me - yes, I'm a Christian - the mod acted correctly. It a ban, life goes on, get over it. Go out, have a drink and release any righteous indignation that has built up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

r3nu4l wrote:

I can clarify that as I reported it and PM'ed BrianCalgary about the thread he made.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The ban looks harsh from what I've seen (and I'm sure I haven't seen the full story) but conversely is the Christianity forum the best place for that debate? I'd have had it on more "neutral" ground to be honest.

Edit: Actually I'll expand this a little for you. When I moderated Physics we'd occasionally have someone come in with a religion thread (invariably Christianity based). These were tricky for one simple reason, if it's not based in science and specifically physics then it has no place in the forum and it's rare to find a poster who can discuss religion in a science forum and obey this. Physics was definitely not the place to discuss Creationism or its bastard stepchild Intelligent Design.

That said, Christianity is the place to discuss either of those topics. The Christianity forum makes no claim to be purely science based. It is a forum about the religion and essentially you have to expect faith to be the primary goal of the forum. Arguing that it should be science is utterly pointless and really out of place.

Personally, I find the idea of arguing Intelligent Design as a science as idiocy in the extreme; however, that doesn't mean I've a right to go and belittle people who believe it for reasons of faith. If they want to come out to Biology/Medicine and argue it then they are fair game but if they want to discuss it in a primarily faith based forum then they should honestly be left in peace and the militant atheists on this site should show some respect if they expect to be shown any in return in that forum.

/rant

nesf wrote:
    The ban looks harsh from what I've seen (and I'm sure I haven't seen the full story) but conversely is the Christianity forum the best place for that debate? I'd have had it on more "neutral" ground to be honest.

Edit: Actually I'll expand this a little for you. When I moderated Physics we'd occasionally have someone come in with a religion thread (invariably Christianity based). These were tricky for one simple reason, if it's not based in science and specifically physics then it has no place in the forum and it's rare to find a poster who can discuss religion in a science forum and obey this. Physics was definitely not the place to discuss Creationism or its bastard stepchild Intelligent Design.

That said, Christianity is the place to discuss either of those topics. The Christianity forum makes no claim to be purely science based. It is a forum about the religion and essentially you have to expect faith to be the primary goal of the forum. Arguing that it should be science is utterly pointless and really out of place.

Personally, I find the idea of arguing Intelligent Design as a science as idiocy in the extreme; however, that doesn't mean I've a right to go and belittle people who believe it for reasons of faith. If they want to come out to Biology/Medicine and argue it then they are fair game but if they want to discuss it in a primarily faith based forum then they should honestly be left in peace and the militant atheists on this site should show some respect if they expect to be shown any in return in that forum.

/rant
    If you read the thread which started the fuss we were talking about the reformation and one poster PDN, said that it helped progress Science. He was adamant about this saying that the Steam Engine would never have been invented in India. I was challenging this opinion and he just told me I need to read my books more attentively. It's just ridiculous that someone can say that to me and I can't call it "pathetic". It would interesting to see what would have happened if we were in the history forum and it was been moderated by people without religious bias.
    A lot of people read and use boards.ie as an educational website, I can't believe someone can rant on slagging off the eastern world as effectively being inferior and the reformed churchs as a source of scientific enlightment and be effectively immune from being challenged from an opposing view. It's a very insular, protective way of discussing things.

It's a serious issue for boards.ie how serious does it consider debate and does it have a responsibility for impartiality.

If you read the thread which started the fuss we were talking about the reformation and one poster PDN, said that it helped progress Science. He was adamant about this saying that the Steam Engine would never have been invented in India. I was challenging this opinion and he just told me I need to read my books more attentively. It's just ridiculous that someone can say that to me and I can't call it "pathetic". It would interesting to see what would have happened if we were in the history forum and it was been moderated by people without religious bias.
    A lot of people read and use boards.ie as an educational website, I can't believe someone can rant on slagging off the eastern world as effectively being inferior and the reformed churchs as a source of scientific enlightment and be effectively immune from being challenged from an opposing view. It's a very insular, protective way of discussing things.

It's a serious issue for boards.ie how serious does it consider debate and does it have a responsibility for impartiality.

Sure, I can accept all that. My question is, if I was as biased in my "protective position" on science discussion in Physics, why can't the Christianity mods be as protective in Christianity? We have a lot of forums and they are all moderated differently each with its own ethos based on the topic.

If you wanted to have that discussion in neutral territory you should have had it in Humanities. By having it in Christianity or a Science forum you'd have to accept the ethos of that forum. You obviously don't accept it, so don't have the discussion there.

He posted a childish thread criticising BrianCalgary for locking the original one for going off topic. That is the reason why he was banned, not because of the debate.

Jakkass wrote:
    He posted a childish thread criticising BrianCalgary for locking the original one for going off topic. That is the reason why he was banned, not because of the debate.

Sure, but the two are not distinct and separate things.

That and I wanted to see his reaction considering he's someone who believes that arguing from analogy isn't logical when the analogy is descriptive in nature as per on the first page of that thread.

• Advertisement

Thats all well and good, but surely if this kind of scenario occurred on other non-religious forums, surely it would be acceptable to ban? In fairness he created another thread when it was locked for going off topic, and he continued in asking a sarcastic question that was intended to insult the moderator for his moderating.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement