Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheffield Wednesday Player of the Season

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i am delighted for Whelan, he has showed real character this season given the whole transfer listing and fans getting on his back. Like all clubs Wednesday have their boo boys and as he was being played put of position and given the captaincy possibly too early on in his career they were really laying into him.

I expect Whelan to get a full call up by next season to Stan's squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

This is nice (big) suprise. Last season most Wednesday fans wanted him gone it seemed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Congrats also to Sturrock for keeping faith in him when Allen wanted to get rid.

Thoroughly deserved. Hope the celebrating continues this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dutz

it was sturock who wanted him out - only reason he stayed was because he fought for his place - it was laws who took him off the list

sturrock is nothing but a toss pot who had no respect for the players at swfc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Sturrock did make him captain at the age of 21 though. I don't think many Wednesday fans would have complained with Whelan being put on the transfer list when he did so it's good to see he came back from that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dutz

very true

the reason he had under performed was because of all the pressure re captaincy thank god he's back to his best though

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

David Bell is young supporter's player of the season and internet player of the season at relegated Luton Town: http://www.lutontown.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10372~1018340,00.html?ptvParm=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Dutz wrote:
    it was sturock who wanted him out - only reason he stayed was because he fought for his place - it was laws who took him off the list

sturrock is nothing but a toss pot who had no respect for the players at swfc

1) being a friend of Glenn's would you know this as gospel?
    I would have thought Sturrock thought highly enough of him to put him on the transfer list as he knew glenn would prove his worth. This made Laws job of taking him off the list very easy.

2) i know there were problems at the club while Sturrock was there towards the end as he wasnt getting the best from his players, but didnt the players make a statement that it was largely their fault?
    This statement contributed largely towards Graham Coughlan being dropped as club captain and Dave Allen trying to offload him. Coughlan never got a look in under Laws.

oh and Dutz - this isnt a dig at you, these are just questions i have which you may have the answers to.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Congratulations to Richard Dunne on his third player of the year in a row at Man City: http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pagegid={DBD12D53-8346-431D-A04F-5D0F8664DE80}&newsid=423723
    That's unprecedented award for a defender, IIRC it was Anelka that prevented him from making it four years in a row by beating him to the award 4 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Brunt was announced as player of the season today at Hillsborough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

hah google brought me here.

Well Done Saints fan Glenn Whelan :D

threads totally getting locked :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Great bump. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Awesome. Whelan is such a likeable player too. I've no doubt that if he wasn't in the squad he'd be in the stands following the team out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

2007....that means we're back in the Staunton era :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Over 5 years old, nothing to see here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement