Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Digital speedometers

Options
  • 26-04-2007 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Hi, I have an old car with only miles per hour on the speedometer. I have seen digital kmph speedometers that you can stick on your dash. Anyone any idea where I can get these? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Buy a SatNav, that'll stick on your dash, and give you Km/h if you choose in a virtual speedo.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭LillyVanilli

Thanks for suggestion but I really want to find the digital speedo instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Installing a digital speedo installation in a car that didn't originally come with one is far, far more hassle than getting a satnav, believe me.

Thats besdies the point. I really want to find one of these, I know someone that can install it easily. Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Easily? I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

No, there is no easy way to do this, If there was a Sports version of your car that had a digital speedo then you might be able to retrofit it too yours, but this would be stupidly expensive in time and money.

The cheapest option would be to put stickers on your MPH Speedo and mark off 30 - 50 - 80 - 100 and 120 km/h

The second cheapest would be GPS.

Other than this, what exactly would this Digital Speedo have to take a reading from :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

lynners wrote:
    I know someone that can install it easily

I assume the someone who claims that they can "install it easily" has done it before, and so maybe they have an idea about where to get one.

Alternatively, since you obviously don't want to go for the easy option (sat nav), you could build one yourself:

http://martybugs.net/electronics/speedo.cgi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Get a tripmeter, like a terratrip or a Brantz. These are designed for motorsport, and can be got through most motorsport parts stockists. They are big though, and are not really designed for the driver, more for the navigator as they have got so much information.

They are expensive, and are overkill on a road car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Thanks phutyle, thats the kind of thing im looking for. I saw one on a car before, really small and simple and cheap looking, havent been able to track one down since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

phutyle wrote:

Thats for a bike, its 209$ before tax and shipping and requires a cable run to a wheel.

Uber expensive for a Digital Speedo :D

You still need to hook it up to something to take a speed reading ... you can't just Jimmy it into your existing Speedometer. Unless it uses a laser for speed measurement which would be pricier than gps anyway

Advertisement