Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boardsspurs player of the year?

Options
  • 26-04-2007 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Well chaps/chapettes, not long now until season's end so how about we have a vote on our player of the year?

I've added the obvious candidates to the poll, but if anyone feels I've left one out just shout and I'll try edit the poll.

Who's our player of the year? 28 votes

Pascal Chimbonda
    0% 0 votes
    Michael Dawson
    3% 1 vote
    Aaron Lennon
    28% 8 votes
    Robbie Keane
    0% 0 votes
    Dimitar Berbatov
    0% 0 votes
    None of the above
    67% 19 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

only one candidate really. How about a poll on who should come in/leave this summer. Surely Lee, Murphy, Mido, Gardner are on their way. I thought Staltieri played well when he came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Good idea Ronan.

I know Berbatov will probably win it, but I have voted for Dawson. Controversial some of you may think, but as per last season, i think he has had an excellent season. He has been our best player on several occasions and he shows more heart and courage than 4or5 of the others put together. Some people on this board have had a pop over his distribution, yes it could probably improve, but for me his main job is to defend and he has done that in great fashion throughout the season.

Well done Daws :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

only one candidate really. How about a poll on who should come in/leave this summer. Surely Lee, Murphy, Mido, Gardner are on their way. I thought Staltieri played well when he came in.

Respect your opinion, but I think its odd you'd want Lee to leave (while you've given Stalteri credit) when he's improved a lot this season.

Hatch99 wrote:
    Good idea Ronan.

I know Berbatov will probably win it, but I have voted for Dawson. Controversial some of you may think

Not at all, in fact I'm tempted to ignore the obvious and either choose Daws or Chimbonda myself. Berbartov is our best player, no doubt...not sure if he's been our player of the year though, hit a real purple patch from Fulham in the Cup onwards but like with Keane last season, I don't think a couple of great months equals player of the year.

To be honest, i think Id keep Lee in the summer. Im not his biggest fan but he was doing quite well until his injury. And he can play on either side so he will always come in handy, especially if we want to continue to take part in every competition until March April time like this season.

Murphy mido and gardiner i would agree with, have a feeling he might keep stateri to play 2nd fiddle to chimbonda, then again ifill is ready and waiting to play some part so 3 right fulls would be a bit much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

Hatch99 wrote:
    I know Berbatov will probably win it, but I have voted for Dawson. Controversial some of you may think, but as per last season, i think he has had an excellent season.:D

I also voted for Dawson. I think he's done more than any other player since the start of the season (did he only miss one match?) to deserve the award.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Have to agree, I think Dawson has been very consistent this year, think he only missed one game through suspension. Ledley seems to be injury prone, we need another top class CH as Rocha and Gardner are not up to the job.

the reason i'm backing Berbatov is he settled well for his first season to be consistently good. He was excellent from day i in Europe- Besiktas kick started the season. Dawson is our rock, and should be next captain- he is a valid choice.
    On the Lee/Staltieri equation, I feel staltieri is more capable of doing a job in a defensive capacity- he is more physical and a better tackler. The fact is both of them were playing the best football of their Spurs careers when injured. Lee had some excellent games, but was targeted by Man U, Arsenal in the League Cup, and Chelsea. He isn't physical enough for me. Lee was leaving at christmas, and jol prefers BA-E. The big question is will we buy a top-class left back a la Chimbonda, who is the other player who would be worthy of player of the year consideration. And whether Reto Zeigler, for that matter Wayne Routledge.
    For what it's worth, I would try Zokora at left back, if we buy a new midfield as many seem to think we need. He's got all the attributes- can compete for a header, an excellent engine, drives forward, can tackle. If Lauren could do it- Stevie Nicol, why not? Zokora has improved out of all recognition since Christmas, so maybe he will be left in midfield. either way, we need to trim our squaddies, and bring in top four players.

Zokora to left back or left midfield...are you smoking something chief !! His left foot is worse than mine:D , and surely we need some balance for next season, ie a left footed left full and left midfielder !!

Zokora is fine in the middle for me, needs to be a bit nastier tho...

left footed players are in short supply- great if we get a decent one. We need a left footed player, but if wqecan only get one i'd rather a left footed wide midfield player than at full back- it's far less important- look at dinny irwin. just flying a kite that's all. As regards smoking- that's all in my past now.
    Moving swiftly along, surely Kieron Dyer is the answer to only a stupid question. he should be left in the toon A&E dept where he most likely belongs. The odds on him having four injury free years are long.

• Advertisement

Hatch99 wrote:
    Zokora to left back or left midfield...are you smoking something chief !!

I meant left in midfield, not left midfield, sorry for the confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

for me it has to be berby for player of the year.

while i think chimbonda and dawson have ben outstanding, there have beentimes when they have gone awol. i dont agree that either of them have been as consistant throughout the season as some people think. im also at a loss as to how anyone can vote any defender in with our record. i sometimes wonder if spurs practice defending any set pieces at all!

other than those three, with flashes of brilliance from lennon keane, i think the rest of the squad havebeen medicore. zakora hasnt done enough for me. jenas has played some awesome stuff, and we missed him when he was out, but man, he does play some awful passes. tainio has been injured, mido has been crap and defoe should be sold for as much cash as we canget for him.
    robinson has been crap.

id rather we sold about 8 players and brought in 4 better quality players. im sick to death of hearing about 'squad' players. sure we all need additinal players, but being a 'squad' player for spurs seems to suggest that you dont have any skill, cant pass, and tackling is a definate no-no.
    bah, im just up and im tired. im going for coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Not a Spurs fan per se, but have watching a good few Spurs games (12-15)this season (thanks ART Sport) and I think Michael Dawson is a smashing player, Chimbonda was also played well.

Berbatov obviously, but you can sense his frustration at times.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Berbatov - he's world class and a shining example of what a footballer should be. He runs himself near to death (ever see him in a post match interview - looks like he's about to fall over usually), works insanely hard (as a lot of eastern Europeans seem to do from my experience) and has the kind of attitude that the Premiership and soccer world wide needs - not a diver, not a whinger and when a ball has to go in a net, he'll do what it takes to get it there and doesn't seem to worry about what people think of him, just his team.

You really can't ask for any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

although Berby has probably made the biggest impact for us this season (despite looking a little lazy at times ...maybe its just perception), i have gone for Dawson. Last season he was terrific for us, but this season he has had to take a bit more responsibility due to Kings absence and he hasn't really let his performance drop ... he gives it 100% for each game and rarely suffers from injury problems (fingers crossed)... despite all the games we have had this season he has played in most of them... Future captain IMO .. and long may he stay:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 adampaulburke

Have really enjoyed this season, lots of games and some really entertaining stuff. Voted for Berbs, been fantastic to watch and best player we've had at the Lane since Klinsmann IMHO. Cant wait till next season, couple of good signings and we'll break into the top 4 !

Finally decided, the man who missed only one game this season and held the line while all around him dropped like flies...

Michael "Awesome" Dawson.

A 21st Century Steve Perryman.

Poll closed...and the winner is.........

DIMITAR BERBATOV

He's not going into government with Bertie...:D

Advertisement