Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed Cameras on M1?

Options
  • 26-04-2007 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hello,
    Does anybody know if the speed cameras on M1 , installed on the sides of those big display boards, are operative? :confused:
    May I expect the ticket in my post if I was driving there 130 km/h (limit is 120 km/h)?

BRGDS,
    Rafal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

What display boards are you talking about? The overhead signs? What part of the M1 are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

They are traffic management cameras, not speed camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 RAF

Yes, I ment those overhead signs. They display current traffic alerts, weather alerts or just general info (like '5+ axle ban in city centre')
    I mean two cameras (at least those I spotted):
    1. going north - just before Drogheda South exit (on the top of the hill)
    2. going south - just before Swords exit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Are the cameras at the side of the road? Are there lines on the road? Did you see a flash or two in your rear-view mirror?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

There is a new speed camera on the road before the 80 kph signs, its on the left hand side about 200 m before the lower limit. Its on the M50 northbound side.

Was it always there? There's no warning signs!!!!

EDIT: Yes, there are lines there now, as with the new speed cameras, I don't know if the camera is active yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

RAF wrote:
    Yes, I ment those overhead signs. They display current traffic alerts, weather alerts or just general info (like '5+ axle ban in city centre')
    I mean two cameras (at least those I spotted):
    1. going north - just before Drogheda South exit (on the top of the hill)
    2. going south - just before Swords exit

there traffic management cameras indeed, not speed cameras

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 RAF

blastman wrote:
    Are the cameras at the side of the road? Are there lines on the road? Did you see a flash or two in your rear-view mirror?

Answer is three times NO ;-)

No they are above the road
    No, there is no any lines on the road - BTW: how would they look like?
    No, I haven't seen any flashing (or maybe I didn't notice it???)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Those ones are traffic management. M1 has one camera southbound - near Dunleer. IIRC there are none northbound, excluding that new one which I haven't seen at all. Is it before the Santry slip northbound? Not sure if it's doing anything at the moment but then again I'm a good boy on that stretch.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Traffic management eh? Can't see much management to be done with M1 traffic north of Balbriggan TBH....I've been of the opinion that they (when they become operational) will be average speed cameras. Others here seem to be fairly knowledgable and sure of their facts so I'm probably wrong, but these average speed ones are the future apparently and given that the GATSOs in this country don't even work half the time, I'm sure the revenue from a new speed trap system would be most welcome.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Dublin City Counci has two cameras with Licence Plate Recognition capabilities - one on the M1 near Swords IIRC and the other near Drumcondra IIRC. Currently they are used for traffic management purposes but DCC have not ruled out using them for catching speeding motorists in the furture

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

maoleary wrote:
    There is a new speed camera on the road before the 80 kph signs, its on the left hand side about 200 m before the lower limit. Its on the M50 northbound side.

EDIT: Yes, there are lines there now, as with the new speed cameras, I don't know if the camera is active yet.

Is this camera on the M1 heading Northbound or Southbound?

mik_da_man wrote:

It's on the M50 northbound before the M1 about 250 m before the signs that say 80 kph and "get in lane" above you, before the turnoff for the airport. Saw it both times I went to the airport last week.

mik_da_man wrote:

It's on the M50 northbound before the M1 slip (airport exit) about 250 m before the signs that say 80 kph and "get in lane" above you, before the turnoff for the airport. Saw it both times I went to the airport last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

kbannon wrote:
    Dublin City Counci has two cameras with Licence Plate Recognition capabilities - one on the M1 near Swords IIRC and the other near Drumcondra IIRC. Currently they are used for traffic management purposes but DCC have not ruled out using them for catching speeding motorists in the furture

Why would DCC be interested in catching speeders :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

maoleary wrote:

It's been there for years.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sizzler wrote:
    Why would DCC be interested in catching speeders :confused:
    No idea! They may never use it but then again why would they buy NPR/Face capture hardware & software?
    Some more info on the cameras - http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/motors/2006/0301/1140626825216.html

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

maoleary wrote:
    It's on the M50 northbound before the M1 slip (airport exit) about 250 m before the signs that say 80 kph and "get in lane" above you, before the turnoff for the airport. Saw it both times I went to the airport last week.

Ah grand - I thought there was a new one on the M1 I didn't know about ;)

Advertisement