Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from politics forum

Options
  • 26-04-2007 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Only joined yesterday and made two posts.Tried to log in today and told I can not access the Politcs forum,and the posts I made have been deleted why.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

try PMing one of the mods in that forum

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Can you link to the thread in question and give an idea about what you posted? You could try to pm a mod of the forum, just log out to be able to read the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The Moderator seems to be under the impression that you previously had an account that was banned from the Politics forum, and/or from boards.ie. The evidence tends to lead me to agree with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gargler07

Please show me the evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Gargler07 wrote:
    That's not the same as saying the accusation isn't true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

henbane wrote:
    Anyone have a link to the thread?

Gargler07 wrote:
    That's kind of difficult on a number of accounts. Primarily, we're bound by the data protection act, so I can't display any information here that's not publically available. Secondly, there are more less tangible items drawn from experience that can't really be displayed.

About all I can say is that your username and other pertinent that you supplied when you registered, coupled with the nature of your posts, provide enough evidence to me to cause reasonable suspicion of what I said above.
    Anyone have a link to the thread?
    That would be useless, his posts have been deleted.

seamus wrote:
    That's kind of difficult on a number of accounts. Primarily, we're bound by the data protection act, so I can't display any information here that's not publically available. Secondly, there are more less tangible items drawn from experience that can't really be displayed.

About all I can say is that your username and other pertinent that you supplied when you registered, coupled with the nature of your posts, provide enough evidence to me to cause reasonable suspicion of what I said above.

That would be useless, his posts have been deleted.
    I wonder who has been more wronged him or me?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I wonder who has been more wronged him or me?

Start a poll, but make sure to include an 'atari jaquar' option

or perhaps a reality tv show called 'Wronged Idol'

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

seamus wrote:

Indeed.
    In fact, having had a look myself, how come he's not been site banned?

• Advertisement

The-Rigger wrote:
    Start a poll, but make sure to include an 'atari jaquar' option

or perhaps a reality tv show called 'Wronged Idol'
    Brilliant idea! But we would need links to both posts where both people have been banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

henbane wrote:

lol .. zing :p

Funny how someone who only joined a day before heads straight to feedback to post a complaint that he got banned

<---- searching for owl pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Malone

Would not bother with the politics board anymore its run by members of Fine Gael and the PDs who only want users on their forum who think like them a bit facist me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Your a phoenix account and have been banned from Politics and boards as such.

Malone wrote:
    Would not bother with the politics board anymore its run by members of Fine Gael and the PDs who only want users on their forum who think like them a bit facist me thinks.

And another of the phoenix accounts emerges. Smods can you site ban this account please.

I love when they do that. Give some people enough rope and they'll hang themselves.

That's why he hadn't been banned yet Ruthie :)

Does that make me a sadist?

gandalf wrote:
    Smods can you site ban this account please.

yup

kts.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

What do you mean by 'phoenix' account?

do you mean the magazine by the same name?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

What do you mean by 'phoenix' account?

do you mean the magazine by the same name?
    I'm guessing it's an account that arose from the ashes of a banned account.

Either that or it's Jean Gray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 GANDALF07

Let this be a lesson to all users on this site,I will ban any poster for life who has a different opinion to me.Hail Hitler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Yeah, yeah you tell 'em gandalf...hehehehe. Wait you're not the REAL gandalf, oh that had me fooled!:eek:

seamus wrote:
    Does that make me a sadist?

Yes it does. But you're a cuddly one so it's all good.

Excellent. Maybe I should run for Michael McDowell's seat in the Dail.

Aw jaysus I haven't been called a Nazi in a while, ah the memories. You aren't a true mod until you've been called a Nazi at least once.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It adds a variant to Goodwin's Law

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Wicknight wrote:
    lol .. zing :p

Funny how someone who only joined a day before heads straight to feedback to post a complaint that he got banned

that is purely circumstantial! It is casting aspersions. In the normal world one is told what they are accused of and the evidence brought before a fair jury.
    It could be they were lurking or they were told by someone else about boards and that person told them about feedback too. Anyway the accused can make his own defence.

On boards it seems one can be banned by "secret" evidence and not even told what you were banned for.
    It happened to me. I don't think such systems are transparent or fair. In my opinion it is a very very unprofessional way to operate.

And assuming guilt and having to prove innocence are not normal ways to behave either.

It could well be the poster was doing something wrong. But this "occult knowledge" and nod and wink mentality of "data you can't be shown" i do not like.

In fact it has the hallmarks of the likes of kangaroo courts, masonic interests, secret societies and systems which are biased in the self interest of the powerful against the weak. Anyone partaking in such a system does not really convince if and when they wax political about corruption in high places or the need for equality, what is wrong with the Gardai, or the like. so the system also undermines respect for the authority of their opinion.

The basic jurisprudence is:
    1. If they are guilty and you cant prove it or show what they are accused of then they are assumed innocent.

One might ask what is the difference between no visible evidence and no crime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

ISAW wrote:
    On boards it seems one can be banned by "secret" evidence and not even told what you were banned for.

True
    It happened to me. I don't think such systems are transparent or fair.

True, but what use is transparency to the public when they don't get a say in lifting a ban.
    In my opinion it is a very very unprofessional way to operate

Poor may to run a business, lucky enough this isn't a business...yet.
    It could well be the poster was doing something wrong. But this "occult knowledge" and nod and wink mentality of "data you can't be shown" i do not like.

It's not data you can't be shown, it's data we can't be shown. Remember, everything these boyo's know about you, you've told them, either directly or indirectly. They know nothing you don't.
    In fact it has the hallmarks of the likes of kangaroo courts, masonic interests, secret societies and systems which are biased in the self interest of the powerful against the weak. Anyone partaking in such a system does not really convince if and when they wax political about corruption in high places or the need for equality, what is wrong with the Gardai, or the like. so the system also undermines respect for the authority of their opinion.

Well it is a private forum. What do you expect, seriously? Throw every ban out for public debate, have sides argue for and against. Have evidence presented to the public? Who are you to demand that type of effort?
    1. If they are guilty and you cant prove it or show what they are accused of then they are assumed innocent.

You need some leasons in the difference between the internet and the real world. You should go to the somethingAwfull website and see how they handle people who attack their website. The evidence is presented and the guilty severly punished by mob rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

ISAW wrote:
    that is purely circumstantial! It is casting aspersions. In the normal world one is told what they are accused of and the evidence brought before a fair jury.
    It could be they were lurking or they were told by someone else about boards and that person told them about feedback too. Anyway the accused can make his own defence.

It happened to me. I don't think such systems are transparent or fair. In my opinion it is a very very unprofessional way to operate.

And assuming guilt and having to prove innocence are not normal ways to behave either.

Did you not actually read this thread or something?

Seamus already pointed out that legally they can't release the info. Data protection and all that.

Its not exactly rocket science as to what info they do have. They have your username, email and ip that you post from. They've also been at this for a long time and have a lot of experience in spotting people who sign up again (and yes may use one or two tricks to confirm this).

Boards is privately run, they can ban whomever the hell they want, so bringing in the 'jury' crap is pointless. It isn't a democracy.

Also with the amount of sheer bs about 'sekkrit' stuff in that post, you really should be posting in the Conspiracy Theory forum.
    ISAW wrote:
    Since when was doing something that leads to you being banned from boards a crime?

Advertisement