Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

odd dns behaviour

Options
  • 26-04-2007 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

I moved a site to a new server and flipped the DNS. Now I have domainname.com resolving to the correct server, but ftp.domainname.com still resolves to the old server from both my PCs. The most peculiar thing is that www.domainname.com resolves to the new server on one PC and to the old server on another PC. Both PCs are on the same network connecting to the net through the same computer :confused:

I'm assuming the DNS change hasn't propogated fully yet - is there another possibility?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

there are other possibilities such as the www record was changed and the ftp record was not, but I would give it at least 36 hours before I become concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

How long ago did you make the DNS change? The standard TTL used is 86400 (86 400 seconds = 24 hours) So the change may still be propagating. One remote possibility is that there is still a cached DNS entry on those machines if you used them to connect to the ftp.domain.com hostname before the change. Just to rule this out you can perform a DNS flush. To do this on windows click on Start then Run and type ipconfig /flushdns and click Ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Thanks lads - flushing the cache did it.

Advertisement