Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

do you deny being a wrestling fan?

• 26-04-2007 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭

bit of an odd question but some people i know are for lack of a better word,closet cases when it comes to wrestling,theyll openly talk about it among friends who are fans as well but wont ever start a conversation or admit they like it around non-fans.

i couldnt care less if people think its fake,theyre the ignorant ones and ive convinced quite a few people to start watching it or at least be a bit more open minded about it,hell even my dad watched it during the austin/mcmahon feud after he saw the clip of austin shoving mike tyson on sky news one night. do any of you guys wear wrestling t-shirts? i wear my edge sex and violence going to nightclubs and have been asked a few times where i got it,people are shocked to hear its a wrestling stars shirt,although my mr kennedy one has gotten a few puzzled looks around the office on casual fridays....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

...but it is fake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

I've never been asked.

Tusky wrote:
    ...but it is fake.
    No! It's not true! I don't believe you! My life is over. OVER!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Never denied - ever

I love things that are scripted- hollywood, other tv programs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Tusky wrote:
    ...but it is fake.

Apart from the obvious troll there, ill spell it out to you - it may be staged, but it is not fake :rolleyes:

Anyway, no i do not deny being awrestling fan. Its kind of hard for me to, as anyone who walks into my house sees a crap load of DVDs etc which I cant blame on my girlfriend. I travel to see wrestling alot, talk about it alot, so no, Im not embarrassed, nor deny it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

And the trolling begins.
    Prempted is the term you're looking for, look it up, eat a dictionary or something.

Never been asked, but i'm pretty open to the fact i am. Usually i get stick by typical soccer fans abut it being fixed. I just throw Grobblear and Siere A (sp?) back at them, it usually shuts them up.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Tusky wrote:
    ...but it is fake.

ignorance case in point,scripted/staged/planned yes,fake? nope football players dont play 320 games a year,thats how many,if not more matches wrestlers have every year and they dont get paid a fraction of what some other sports do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I'm a bit of a closet case. I generally don't bring it up unless my gut tells me I'll get a positive response. I'm studying to be a primary teacher at the moment and I just don't see it being a conversation starter at a school or at my lectures with people. Maybe with the kids though!

In saying that, I don't deny it in a social situation although I don't exactly look forward to the conversation that usually follows abut it being crap or gay or fake or whatever.

When I'm in an interview and asked about my hobbies, I'd never mention it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

never have denied that im a wrestling fan.Often il wear a superstars t-shirt to university.
    Ive watched it since I was a kid and in a way im proud that im still watching it compared to so many of my friends that stopped watching it years ago......
    Even if people so say that "it is for kids" I will try and tell them otherwise.
    I think using the word "fake" in terms of pro wrestling is ludacris.That implies that the guys dont really do what they do in the ring....as if we are looking at holograms or something....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

In saying that, I don't deny it in a social situation although I don't exactly look forward to the conversation that usually follows abut it being crap or gay or fake or whatever.

thats the bit I hate too...
    With some they are genuinely interested and may ask further about it but others will just say "gay,fake,for kids" or some similar stupid thing.It is no less "gay" than sports like rugby where "big swear men in tight clothes jump and rub each other".
    For those that didnt get it,the last quote is often what people say about wrestling even though the same can be said for rugby;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Double C wrote:

He's a member of the figure four board and has appeared on Alvarez's radio show too. He's a nice guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

When I'm in an interview and asked about my hobbies, I'd never mention it.

I'm the same, I wouldn't mention it in an interview as a hobby. Wouldn't say it unless I'm actually asked about it,like because of a t-shirt or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭jesusjones

No I wear my t-shirts reguraly and proud to be one. I always say that its almost like watching a soap I get the same kick out of wrestling as people do watching soaps people understand that a bit better when I say that to them trust me it does work.

Recent t-shirts yes but anything before 2004, forget it. The shirts only started being swank after Eddie Guerrero's GTA parody shirt. HHH's King Of Kings is an awesome shirt a well as the Edge Sex & Violence one.

And yes, i own all three of them and wear them quite frequently :)
    VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Recent t-shirts yes but anything before 2004, forget it. The shirts only started being swank after Eddie Guerrero's GTA parody shirt. HHH's King Of Kings is an awesome shirt a well as the Edge Sex & Violence one.

And yes, i own all three of them and wear them quite frequently :)
    VR!

Hey there were some classy Mankind tshirts before 2004 - I still have mine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Recent t-shirts yes but anything before 2004, forget it.

Em....AUSTIN 3:16!

That T-shirt will never get old (faded maybe, but never old)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I don't go around shouting it from the roof tops, but I don't hide it. If people see some pics on my phone or see my collection of DVDs, I'll own up to it and say it loud and proud. Although, I also keep it secret for interviews and the likes. Although, I did bring it up in one interview and, they seemed interested and asked a few questions etc. and I ended up getting the job, so I guess, it depends how you deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

What's to hide. Some people will go on about how it's scripted etc. etc. but then I point out that television is full of scripted stuff.
    It's all good.

i had a job interview the day i got my wrestlemania tickets,i actually didnt care if i got the job,i mentioned it in the interview and one of the guys interviewing me said he was a fan as well,maybe thats why i got the job lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I've never denied being a wrestling fan, but sometimes I'd feel a slight bit of embarrassment admitting to watching WWE. They've done some embarrassing stuff in fairness! Never been embarrassed about wrestling in general. I'm sure a lot of these people who complain about WWE being too childish would enjoy the likes of ROH. I find it kinda funny too when someone will be slagging wrestling, but they'll still know all the current champs and the new guys, etc. You'd almost swear that they watched it themselves....

I've had a few questions about what my CM Punk t-shirt means, on the front it just says "straight edge". I explain once, and then have to explain again that I'm not straight edge myself when people don't quite get it. A couple of people have assumed that my Homicide t-shirt has something to do with the film 187 too, I got very confused when they started talking about it

There were some cool Mankind t-shirts back in the day alright! I have one that I haven't worn in ages, I was thinking about wearing it to Mick's signing, but it's closer to white than black now, it's so faded. I didn't want Mick to feel bad by dressing worse than him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

I say i like wrestling. I would even bring it up sometimes and, i could not give two blanks what they are thinking or what they say. If they say anything bad, it just rolls off me. If i was slagged really bad ( which i have never been) i would give them the stone cold stunner. still waiting to give it.
    Like fozzy said, i reckon everyone likes wrestling but a lot of people just think its cool to say its rubber. I usually make a funny comment about something they watch, but i only do this 50% of the time.

also i defy anyone who isnt a fan to at least not be impressed by this (taken by me at mania 23):

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1tn83_wrestlemania-23-opening-pyros

the heat and noise was unbelievable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Pity about the glow sticks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

no

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Pity about the glow sticks.

tell me about it,she kept holding em up when i wanted to get good shots

krudler wrote:
    bit of an odd question but some people i know are for lack of a better word,closet cases when it comes to wrestling,theyll openly talk about it among friends who are fans as well but wont ever start a conversation or admit they like it around non-fans.

i couldnt care less if people think its fake,theyre the ignorant ones and ive convinced quite a few people to start watching it or at least be a bit more open minded about it,hell even my dad watched it during the austin/mcmahon feud after he saw the clip of austin shoving mike tyson on sky news one night. do any of you guys wear wrestling t-shirts? i wear my edge sex and violence going to nightclubs and have been asked a few times where i got it,people are shocked to hear its a wrestling stars shirt,although my mr kennedy one has gotten a few puzzled looks around the office on casual fridays....
    After posting on this thread, a good friend came up to me in the TCD library today and wrote on my A4 pad: OMG! you're a pro-wrestling fan!

Ah, the power of the internet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

As a 28 year old wrestling fan I get a good slaging from my friends (none of them watch it any more) Lots of people know I am a fan of pro wrestling and when I am in the pub the bar man will come down and tell me it's on so I can sit at the bar and watch it. I have a few wrestling shirts but I only ever have them on if I am going to watch a live wrestling event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

If i'm asked - no I don't.

If ppl ask how can I watch that stuff i'd counter it with how can ppl watch Corrie. Seriously. Has anyone ever actually watched it or listened to the words? OMFG!!!

• Advertisement

Emmerdale is worse, nobody can't understand **** what people say in that excuse for a soap! And they're all portraying inbred pikeys which is worse!

And we thought Jamie Noble was bad in 2003?!

Corrie and Emmerdale rule. Simple as.
    Eastenders? Now there is a piece of **** program!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Double C wrote:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Well you watch wrestling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Double C wrote:

You do know that Coronation Street is fake, right?

It's still real to me, DAMMIT!

• Advertisement

Stay tuned! I might be able to arrange a meet and sleep with session with Deirdre Barlow :P

VR!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

WWE / Corrie both great soap's but when it all goes nuts in WWE with affairs an beatings chairs and people like lita are invold, instead deirdre slapping Ken after sleeping with the local shopkeep. Now i have to ask which one appeals to me more? ummm

Me I dont bring it up, but dont deny it for the above reason, kinda bugs me if im honest when a mate of mine starts talking about it when were out with girls but i could waffle about it for hours having always been at-least a part time viewer and now 21.

Advertisement