Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constitutional challenge to constituency boundaries ahoy..

Options
  • 26-04-2007 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

What? Do they seriously want to delay the election further? If the High or Supreme Court uphold their claim, there would have to be another boundary commission, and that takes months. On the other side of it, is it in the constitution to have a Dáil overrun its 5 years?

The fact is, there was a boundary commission after the 2002 election, so I can't see why their challenge will be upheld.

Challenge to constituency boundaries
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0426/election.html
    Thursday, 26 April 2007 10:45
    The High Court is likely to hear a constitutional challenge by two Independent TDs to the Electoral Amendment Act next week.

They want to have constituency boundaries reviewed in advance of the General Election.

Dublin North-Central TD Finian McGrath and Kildare North TD Catherine Murphy say an analysis of Census figures released last month shows a number of constituencies where people will be under represented and others where they will be over represented.
    Advertisement

The two TDs say that 11 out 43 constituencies are in clear breach of Article 16 of the Constitution.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

Off the top of my head, I think the constitution allows for the Dáil to run for seven years, but legislation was passed to reduce it to five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Correct and right, Múinteoir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

If there are that many constituencies in breach of the Constitution then it is necessary to have this imo.

Advertisement