Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road Rage / Middle Finger

Options
  • 26-04-2007 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

Does showing someone the Middle finger constitute road rage? The reason I ask is because of this particular woman who has now twice shown me the middle finger.
    1st time, she pulled out in front of me on a roundabout, i.e. did not yeild, which caused me to brake and the car behind nearly hit me.
    2nd time, She was making an illegal right turn, i.e. sign up stating no right turn, in doing so she was holding traffic up.
    Both times I hit the horn, not agressively, but a quick blow to let her know what she had done and both times she showed the true lady she is by "flipping the bird".
    I am not going to get out of my car and have words, though I would like to break her finger. Incase anyone is thinking, she drive a 05 Avensis and would appear to be a lady, rather than a girl racer with an attitude (not saying all girl racers have an attitude).

Should I report her for this?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

You should have reported her for the illegal right turn for deffo!!

All of that constitutes as dangerous driving!! What if the car behind did hit you, she would be gone on her merry way and nothing ever said about it to her!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Follow her while flashing your headlights and beeping the horn. When she pulls over, drag her her out of the car and break her hands. That will teach her....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

DarkJager wrote:
    Follow her while flashing your headlights and beeping the horn. When she pulls over, drag her her out of the car and break her hands. That will teach her....

Well I was thinking of just ramming her off the road, getting her address and burning her home with her family inside......

Yes I am joking....I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You should report her, not for giving you the finger, but for the failure to yield and illegal right turn - ring that Traffic hotline and give them her reg no. (which you should have had ample time to note :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

you should report people like this. Some drivers are just such morons.

I was driving home yesterday, doing 120 on the m50. then i came to the m11/n11, and had to drop first to 100 (why the hell can't people maintain speed on this road??) but then, for some reason i could not see the traffic came to a stop. I noticed a car coming up at speed behind me, so i hit the park anywhere lights, to draw their attention to the fact traffic was stpping.....AND HE FLASHED ME FOR IT!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Park anywhere lights?? thats a new one on me..Also the speed limit on the M50 is 100 K/ph m11/n11 it is 120 K/ph.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Park anywhere lights?? thats a new one on me..Also the speed limit on the M50 is 100 K/ph m11/n11 it is 120 K/ph.
    No it's not! On that section of the M50 it's 120km/h. (Not K/ph whatever weird kind of unit that is :) )

In the evenings there's always a huge mess between that junction and the first turnoff to Bray. People crossing the cross hatching as if their lives depended on it when there's at least a whole km to merge, running up the hard shoulder and pushing in, it's crazyville!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I would definitely have reported her to be honest.

The best thing I ever saw was a boy racer overtake a line of four cars on a back road in Kildare.

I was second in the line of four cars. The car in front of me beeped at boy racer as he went by and boy racer flips him the finger.

Car in front of me suddenly emits flashing blue lights and siren and pulls boy racer over to the side of the road...

0wn3d :D

That was a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Park anywhere lights?? thats a new one on me..

Yeh never heard the hazards been called that either..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Makes sense though, considering how taxi drivers use them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

draffodx wrote:
    Yeh never heard the hazards been called that either..

They're the lights taxi drivers use when they stop suddenly in the middle of the road, blocking everything, when picking up/dropping off.

They're also used by the yummy-mummies in their humungous 4x4s parked on the path blocking everything on the school run.

Love that Kildare story!!!

Back on topic; personally, I think that flipping the bird to other drivers is the rudest thing you can do. I've had it done to me in the past and, I must admit, have been close on a number of occasions to doing the same to other morons of the highways.

Report the auld witch, although there's probably nothing that the authorities can really do to her. At least it will make you feel a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

r3nu4l wrote:
    I would definitely have reported her to be honest.

The best thing I ever saw was a boy racer overtake a line of four cars on a back road in Kildare.

I was second in the line of four cars. The car in front of me beeped at boy racer as he went by and boy racer flips him the finger.

Car in front of me suddenly emits flashing blue lights and siren and pulls boy racer over to the side of the road...

0wn3d :D

That was a good day.

Thank's for sharing that, really made me smile, little b*stard (the boy racer not you)

what? No its not.

From just past the slip road for Dundrum, the limit is 120 until you get to the turn off for Little Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Road rage?

Depends on the context. I gave the "wanker" motion to a car that undertook me on the hard shoulder at an M50 slip road while I was coming off. I was on a bike, which while making her manouver that much more dangerous, allowed me to be much freer and more obvious in expressing my displeasure at her idiocy. I wasn't angry. I just went on about my business afterwards.
    so i hit the park anywhere lights, to draw their attention to the fact traffic was stpping.....AND HE FLASHED ME FOR IT!
    Maybe he was thanking you? I know, it's a long shot, but...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

"Have you ever gotten pissed off in traffic? Like, really pissed off? I think we all have. We've thrown finger gestures and wedged our heads out of the window and screamed "LEARN TO F*CKING DRIVE, F*CKER!!" We've all pulled the gun out of the glove compartment and let a few fly at the offending car. Not firing at their head or anything. Just, you know, at their tires.

Now imagine yourself standing in an elevator with three other people, two friends and a coworker. A friend goes to hit a button and accidentally punches the wrong one. Would you lean over, your mouth two inches from her ear, and scream "LEARN TO OPERATE THE ****ING ELEVATOR BUTTONS, ****CAMEL!!"

They'd think you'd gone insane."

http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/monkeysphere.html

cavedave wrote:
    "Have you ever gotten pissed off in traffic? Like, really pissed off? I think we all have. We've thrown finger gestures and wedged our heads out of the window and screamed "LEARN TO F*CKING DRIVE, F*CKER!!" We've all pulled the gun out of the glove compartment and let a few fly at the offending car. Not firing at their head or anything. Just, you know, at their tires.

Now imagine yourself standing in an elevator with three other people, two friends and a coworker. A friend goes to hit a button and accidentally punches the wrong one. Would you lean over, your mouth two inches from her ear, and scream "LEARN TO OPERATE THE ****ING ELEVATOR BUTTONS, ****CAMEL!!"

They'd think you'd gone insane."

http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/monkeysphere.html
    its not a waste of time, its a release for the frustration at being stuck behind such idiots on the road. And someone doing somethin wrong accidently, is very differnt to being an ignorant ********

If you were in the lift, and heading to floor 46, and the person in the lift gets out on 3, and as they walk out deliberately hit EVERY button from 4 to 46 - you'd be pissed and let them know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Tauren wrote:
    what? No its not.

From just past the slip road for Dundrum, the limit is 120 until you get to the turn off for Little Bray.

120 what though? K/ph? km/h? kmph? ph neutral?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

120 what though? K/ph? km/h? kmph? ph neutral?
    I've worked it out ... K/ph is degrees Kelvin per pico-hour :)

Worst I've ever seen was (on a Wicklow CC roadworks sign) ... k/mph!

120 kilometers per hour - don't know which is the correct anagram from it, ya smartass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Tauren wrote:
    I was driving home yesterday, doing 120 on the m50. then i came to the m11/n11, and had to drop first to 100 (why the hell can't people maintain speed on this road??) but then, for some reason i could not see the traffic came to a stop. I noticed a car coming up at speed behind me, so i hit the park anywhere lights, to draw their attention to the fact traffic was stpping.....AND HE FLASHED ME FOR IT!

Possibly..... They were acknowledging that you had warned them of the slow down ahead, and let you know that you could turn off your "Park Anywhere" lights. Flashing ones lights is not automatically an agressive action.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Tauren wrote:
    120 kilometers per hour - don't know which is the correct anagram from it, ya smartass!

You mean abbreviation.

No, i mean anagram. Thats what all the cool kids have decided it will be used for. ya old fogie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

If someone was sitting there blocking up traffic trying to make an illegal right turn, i'd sit on the horn until they either move, or come back to confront me so i can tell them i'm calling the gardai, so they can either shift or get a ticket.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

What's a good response to the middle finger? The grown up thing to do is to ignore it, but what's a good comeback?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

cavedave wrote:
    Now imagine yourself standing in an elevator with three other people, two friends and a coworker. A friend goes to hit a button and accidentally punches the wrong one.
    TBF arriving at the wrong floor in a lift is never going to kill you or some other innocent.

Dyflin wrote:
    What's a good response to the middle finger? The grown up thing to do is to ignore it, but what's a good comeback?
    roll down the window and shout YORE MA!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Tauren wrote:
    roll down the window and shout YORE MA!

rofl :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Tauren wrote:
    you should report people like this. Some drivers are just such morons.

He might have been thanking you as seamus said. That's why I hate flashing as a signal, it's not an official signal so it could mean anything. I was driving down a road in Kerry before and I was convinced that I had entered the land where every oncoming driver was an aggressive prick. Turned out they were flashing me because there was a speed check ahead. (Made no odds to me, I was doing the speed limit anyway so they were just annoying me with their flashes).

I've noticed women drivers tend to be deadly for getting agressive when they're in the wrong by the way. Flashing lights, middle fingers, the works. I remember coming down the sliproad from the M50 to the Finglas exit roundabout before and decided to change lanes. Looked in my mirror, there's a woman in a small silver car a good bit behind me. I indicate, move into her lane (there's a load of space between us at this point). She starts flashing her lights. Then she put the foot down on the accelerator so by the time we arrived and stopped at the roundabout, she was nearly in my ass. Then I looked in my mirror again and could see her mouthing off and giving me the finger. For **** sake, so someone ended up in front of you girl, get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

It's an SI unit to km/h is the correct symbol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

SI unit is Kilometres per hour, indicated as either kph or Km/h, with the latter being the textbook physics abbreviation.

Advertisement