Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 story tower for Limerick and more!

Options
  • 26-04-2007 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

hi, was just looking at the post today and there seems to be a flurry of activity going on in relation to construction projects. i saw an article mentioning a proposes 20 story tower at the site of the rowing club, which by the way everyone seemed to be in favour for for a change! and also the mention of a luas tram in Limerick which apparently was on the goverments agenda! they mentioned a rout of from castleconnel,raheen/dooradoyle up to longpavement and moyross! these look like a solid proposal too, none of your fantacy s*it like! can anyone give me any more news on this, pics ect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

tell me how Sarsfield bridge will cope with the amount of a 20 storey tower. i suppose this tower won't be emoty and people are working/living in there. the pedestrian bridge 9as quoted in the Post) will surely not cope with the traffic. how can the tower be accessed by vehicles from the bridge?

furthermore, how do they want to build this tower in this small pitch of land? ah sure, a brown envelope and the developer can just take away a part of the river to heap it up. just the same as hotels changing the layouts of public roads or even taking them away completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Its all in the lead up to the election. Dont take it too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Jumpy wrote:
    Its all in the lead up to the election. Dont take it too seriously.

x2

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Feck that, i'm naming it. The limerick prick?

In regard to the traffic problem, we can all use gondolas to access the site. That only leaves the question of feeding them...

Seriously though. Hovercrafts / hovercars all the way. They'll be well invented by the time any of this rolls around!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

MarkR wrote:
    Feck that, i'm naming it. The limerick prick?

In regard to the traffic problem, we can all use gondolas to access the site. That only leaves the question of feeding them...

Seriously though. Hovercrafts / hovercars all the way. They'll be well invented by the time any of this rolls around!

Class!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

what on earth does limerick need a luas for? it takes about 20 minutes to walk from the crescent to the top of oconnell st,the traffic here isnt as nearly as bad as dublin,the dock road on a friday nights maybe but thats it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

well i think that if the luas was placed in the rite areas (growing suburbs) and around and in of town, then i think that it would be a way better plan to do this now rather than a few years as the city will be crying out for something like this and causing chaos like it did for dublin. anyway the whole center of town is chainging so it wouldnt be a bad idea to intergrate this now before its seen as just too expensive and troublesome in years to come...besides plans have been made for galway to even get one! so, and nothing against galway or anything but if you compared the two city sizes and traffic problems its clear who should get it..

krudler wrote:
    what on earth does limerick need a luas for? it takes about 20 minutes to walk from the crescent to the top of oconnell st,the traffic here isnt as nearly as bad as dublin,the dock road on a friday nights maybe but thats it

The term Luas is being misused here.
    What was suggested for Limerick, Cork, and Galway was the purchase of second hand trams from Europe.
    They would cost a hell of a lot less than the Luas.
    The point is that while yes you can walk from the Crescent to town in about 20 minutes, people don't.
    They drive, and the city councils want to get cars out of the cities.
    That leaves you with two options, either a park and ride bus system, or a light railway/tram.

Also Ireland is going through a prosperous phase at the moment, so finally the government is getting around to investing in the future.
    We have the fastest growing population levels in western Europe, so 20 years down the line Limerick, Cork, and Galway will need these transport systems. I think that we can all agree that it would be better if they were put in place now than in a couple of dozen years.

D-A-V-E wrote:
    well i think that if the luas was placed in the rite areas (growing suburbs) and around and in of town, then i think that it would be a way better plan to do this now rather than a few years as the city will be crying out for something like this and causing chaos like it did for dublin. anyway the whole center of town is chainging so it wouldnt be a bad idea to intergrate this now before its seen as just too expensive and troublesome in years to come...besides plans have been made for galway to even get one! so, and nothing against galway or anything but if you compared the two city sizes and traffic problems its clear who should get it..

While I agree that greater Limerick has a much larger population than greater Galway (cause, well, it does!), it's wrong to say that plans have been made for Galway to get a light rail system.
    Fine Gael and the Green Party said that they would like to do it if elected, but that's simply because it's an election year.
    It's the same in Cork.
    There are no plans, let alone definite plans for trams in anywhere, outside of Dublin.
    I remember seeing mention of a commuter rail system going from town, out to Castletoy as long as 8 years ago.
    You have to learn to take all this stuff with a pinch of salt.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

20 story tower at the site of the rowing club

If it ever blows over it will make $$$$$$ of the Hilton .... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

Election On The Way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

We have the fastest growing population levels in western Europe, so 20 years down the line Limerick, Cork, and Galway will need these transport systems.

not sure if this isn't only coming from the eastern european immigrants. i'd say as soon as the standard in their country is on the same level as in western europe they stop emmigrating.

or do you refer to (genuine) irish birth rates?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I agree that the luas thing for limerick is just election talk but are you also saying that this 20 storey building is election talk as I see no reaons why it wont be built (like someone previously said brown envelope will make sure traffic is not taken into consideration)
    all the same I do like the prospect of another 20 storey building

not sure if this isn't only coming from the eastern european immigrants. i'd say as soon as the standard in their country is on the same level as in western europe they stop emmigrating.

or do you refer to (genuine) irish birth rates?
    :)

Both.
    Ireland has the fasted rising population in western Europe, and the highest birthrate.

We have the third highest population growth in all of Europe (Turkey is the highest, followed by Albania, then us, then Azerbaijan).

As for the birth rate, we have the highest in the EU.
    I'm not sure if these figures only count nationals. I do know that non-national children born here no longer qualify automatically for Irish citizenship.

1huge1 wrote:
    I agree that the luas thing for limerick is just election talk but are you also saying that this 20 storey building is election talk as I see no reaons why it wont be built (like someone previously said brown envelope will make sure traffic is not taken into consideration)
    all the same I do like the prospect of another 20 storey building

We've known for sometime that something is gonna go there, but no planning permission has been applied for yet, so all this talk of 20 stories is just that.
    Talk.
    At least for the moment.
    Remember the big "handbag" building that was supposed to be built down by the docks?!:rolleyes:
    I'm not saying that it won't be big, but lets just wait and see what's left after it goes through an Bord Pleanála 5 or 6 times!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Oh yes I do remember seeing sketches of a redevelopment of the docklands
    quiet a impressive building that was too

1huge1 wrote:
    Oh yes I do remember seeing sketches of a redevelopment of the docklands
    quiet a impressive building that was too

dockshotpreviewD.jpg

Yeah, but it'll almost deffinately never happen.

P.S: Just read that the initial plans for the boat club are for a 4 story building.
    Some are suggesting that all this talk of 20 stories is just to make people not complain about the actual 4 story plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

jeez it waill take the luas forever to get from the red cow to castletroy

:D

Advertisement