Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love flying...

Options
  • 26-04-2007 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else get excited any time they fly somewhere?

Im going to London tomorrow morning for the weekend and I always get seriously excited about flying, even for a short hop to LHR! I love airports, I love the smell of jetfuel, I enjoy every second of the flight especially takeoff and landing and im starting to worry that Im sad!

I just wish it was pre 9/11 and cockpit visits were still allowed. Oh and that i wasnt a blind bas**** and could fly for a living :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I used to get excited once upon a time, but I now hate airports and all the cr** that goes with them.
    I guess my attitude changed after having had some bad long hual flights that involved lots of delays and being stuck in middle of 747 beside some very large individuals for 12 hours.

BTW this is flying cattle class on commerical airline traffic I am talking about.

Have to say though that flying in light aircraft of any kind is fun and even more so if doing it somewhere cool like in mountains. I just wish I could fly Cessna or Robinson trans Atantic or trans Pacific, then life would be perfect.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

How bad is your eyesight pclancy? the jaa medical requirement is -5 i think for the initial medical, and -8 thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

pclancy wrote:
    I just wish it was pre 9/11 and cockpit visits were still allowed. Oh and that i wasnt a blind bas**** and could fly for a living :)

Depends on what airline you are flying, the EI boys will let you in before pushback for a minute. I know alot don't during flight, maybe if its a kid or something they might but there is no harm in asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I love flying too and everything that goes with it, airports, planes, the whole atmosphere really and I especially love looking down on the clouds when your flying above them.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Aviation junkie here. The joys of cheap flights mean its now as commonplace as taking a bus (though not as convenient thank to overzealous security meaures :( ).

For those flying out of Cork though, and definitely when it comes to picking up or setting down, the new terminal is a big step backward for spottage purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

jmayo wrote:
    I used to get excited once upon a time, but I now hate airports and all the cr** that goes with them.

As a child I loved flying (we lived abroad so had a long haul each way every year) but now it's all a big "Meh".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

damo wrote:
    How bad is your eyesight pclancy? the jaa medical requirement is -5 i think for the initial medical, and -8 thereafter.

Have night blindness as well as an early childhood eye infection that ruins my chances im afraid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

love flying hate airports - last holiday was orkney islands 2 ferries and drove sooooo relaxing compared to airports .

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

I still like flying. I love the view of the land from above and the feeling of anticipation of being whisked off to somewhere far away. Whether it's the short hop to Cork or a long-haul flight (we fly to Japan every year), it's enjoyable for me, once I'm on the plane. The experience of getting through the airport from the car-park to the plane is just getting worse and worse though.

The previous poster mentioned the Orkney Islands - one of the most memorable commercial flights I've taken was from Aberdeen to Shetland with a stop-over in Orkney. Expensive (most of the passengers are oil-workers), but almost worth the fare just for the view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I used to love flying commercially, but TBH I now hate all the rubbish at the airports, the discomfort of it all etc etc , it could be that ' familarity breeds comtempt ' syndrome ? ( I travel 2-3 time a month for my job).

We have started to re-use the ferry when we go to ENgland now , that way you can ' shock horror ' carry liquids, and all the other gubbins that goes with a young child !

I still ask for a window seat , still love take-off / landing , and watching where I am if there are no clouds etc.

As for actually flying in a private aircraft , ohhhh yes thats the real stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 kyle 327

i love flying so much:D
    after the school year im going to pennsylavana (hope i spelled that right):(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Fly alot so well used to it and enjoy it, don't particularly enjoy airports and being herded around. Chicago O'Hare has me hate filled. :)

Advertisement