Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you were Stan, who would you pick??

• 26-04-2007 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭

The team i'd pick would be:

Given

Finnan, Dunne, McShane, O'Shea,

Hunt, A.Reid, Carsley, Duff,

Doyle, Keane,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ya what now? :confused:

You're either a month too late or 5 months too early with this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Exactly. At the moment....who cares!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Mate told me Shay isnt travelling to the US friendlies (his own choice apparently), is this correct?

In two ways about it really. Although I hate to see any Ireland squad playing without their best player, on the other hand we really need to practice with a viable back up for when Given is injured and unavailable. I know some have disagreed but I honestly think Given could have got us a point in Cyprus (or possibly even the full three, the morale damage after a third goal is whacked in is not repairable). The Czech match, not so sure, but iirc the goal was nearly the Czechs only decent shot on target. Henderson got plaudits for it, but iirc didnt they hit one under him that was knocked clear by Kilbane behind him? Its been a while now but Im fairly sure it was an inch away from 2-1. And lets not forget San Marino :eek:

Thankfully we probably have about 8 more years of Given left but even still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

shane86 wrote:
    Mate told me Shay isnt travelling to the US friendlies (his own choice apparently), is this correct?
    Obviously he was listening to Keane...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

We might aswell turn this into who you'd like to see get a run out in America. :) Both games are going to be on RTE which is good.

I'm really disappointed McGeady is unavailable (scottish cup final) as this is exactly the type of tour he needed to break his duck and have a good game as there'd be no pressure.

Colin Doyle (gk) at Birmingham has been getting rave reviews and Arsenal are interested. Let's try him from the start. I'd like to see Stokes get a start as he's hardly playing under Keane and imo there's no question he'll "make it".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

The tour of America is the perfect time to give the you inexperienced players a run out. There is little point in bringing the established players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

eirebhoy wrote:
    Colin Doyle (gk) at Birmingham has been getting rave reviews and Arsenal are interested. Let's try him from the start. I'd like to see Stokes get a start as he's hardly playing under Keane and imo there's no question he'll "make it".
    Either of those players could be involved in the play-offs, so would be unavailable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

If I were Stan I'd pick Gus Hidiink...oh hold on, is he allowed do that :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The tour of America is the perfect time to give the you inexperienced players a run out. There is little point in bringing the established players.

Lol this is going to be funny, Stan will run out of players as expected and shockingly after about 37 absentees call up some EL players. And then say they deserved it etc:

Should be interesting.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

eirebhoy wrote:
    We might aswell turn this into who you'd like to see get a run out in America. :) Both games are going to be on RTE which is good.

I'm really disappointed McGeady is unavailable (scottish cup final) as this is exactly the type of tour he needed to break his duck and have a good game as there'd be no pressure.

As yes he can't make a Championship team - so lets play him for the national side.He hasn't done it at Sunderland yet, no reason to think he can do it for Ireland.

Colin Doyle definetly should get a chance.We seem to have plenty of promising keepers thank god, we are going to need them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

KdjaCL wrote:
    Lol this is going to be funny, Stan will run out of players as expected and shockingly after about 37 absentees call up some EL players. And then say they deserved it etc:

Should be interesting.

kdjac
    then not play them whatsoever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

dcarroll wrote:
    then not play them whatsoever

eh?

The EL vs international thing, we dont stop playing or have an international break. If Ireland are playing on a sat all EL games are on an friday there hasnt been a need to change that umm in a long time.

If players get called up which they will then EL games have to be called off ie Cork will lose O Donovan that is 100% gauranteed. As i said LOL it will be interesting.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

yes i am all for el players in the irish squad, but i dont see why they rarely even get a run out when they do make the squad, surely 20 mins at the end of a friendly for some of them wouldnt hurt stan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Orizio wrote:
    As yes he can't make a Championship team - so lets play him for the national side.He hasn't done it at Sunderland yet, no reason to think he can do it for Ireland.
    Well I think he can and that's good enough for me. :) His time at Falkirk was incredible. I know it's only the SPL but I don't find it any tougher to spot a good player. His reading of the game is better than most of the senior Irish players and he's only 18.

With Sunderland losing their first game in ages last week and their strikers going through a bit of a drought he's likely to start up front tomorrow. It's on Sky so watch it if you get the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

dcarroll wrote:
    yes i am all for el players in the irish squad, but i dont see why they rarely even get a run out when they do make the squad, surely 20 mins at the end of a friendly for some of them wouldnt hurt stan
    Fcuk sake.

Yes, give them a token appearance, that'll be good.

You are 'all for' el players in a meaningless squad? Thanks for that.

There's a reason Shels fans sang the Brian Kerr song in recent seasons.

Maybe Jayo might get a proper run out now that he's playing in a 'proper' league.:rolleyes:

20 minutes at the end of a game is a pointless insult to the quality currently on show in the eL. I'd rather they picked no-one and went after granny rulers tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

if i was stan, id retire

Advertisement