Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Help!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

how might that be i wonder???:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

UCD will deny any responsibility, however, thats not the end of things.

Two people in my class have had their laptops stolen from their Quinn lockers (slightly different I know). UCD denyied any responsibility but forked out after the two guys engaged a solicitor.

Though that not be of any help, the laptop is most likely covered under your home insurance,( I know that doesnt make sense to everyone, but it is) though decide yourself if its worth making a claim.

Terrible hard luck to people that it happens to, I often leave my laptop unattended for hours in the library, but not even for mins in the Quinn school. I know everyone asks the person beside them to keep and eye on it while they go to the jacks etc, but thats bloody stupid since you know yourself that you dont keep that close an eye on it for other ppl unless you know them.

Though its too late now, and I know it turns your stomach, the best thing to do is offer a reward for annonymous return (especially if there is data of importance like essays on it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Tá Mé Gaeilge

Nah I think house insurance says if it is unattended at the time then it cant be insured. its like inviting people into your house to rob stuff.

Also i think the person involved did have everything backed up but to a USB which was in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

i wonder why they didnt have it backed up somewhere else too...like under their stairs like clever people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Ballerina wrote:
    i wonder why they didn't have it backed up somewhere else too...like under their stairs like clever people

I think it takes a scare to get most people to back up - my hard drive nearly conked out on me one time - it was making the whirring noise of death - it was enough to make me back up monthly (yeah I know not great but if it's anything truly important i always have it stored on my gmail account to).

Really bad luck on that happening though. It always happens to someone around exam time. When I was doing my LC someone stole one girls Irish notes which she'd slaved over, doesn't matter how much stuff people offer you it's just not your own work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Tá M&#233 wrote: »
    Nah I think house insurance says if it is unattended at the time then it cant be insured. its like inviting people into your house to rob stuff.

Also i think the person involved did have everything backed up but to a USB which was in the bag.
    Dont be scared off. If your a commerce student you should know better by now :).

Ins is there to cover things being stolen, the contract would give you the impression that unless its handcuffed to you at the time it was stolen its not covered, but thats not the case. I wouldnt even be discouraged with the first letter you get saying you're not covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Preaching to the choir man. I had my laptop stolen last year when I left in unattended for about four minutes in Roebuck one evening. Never did get it back. Might as well forget about it and learn from the experience, i.e there's robbing cnuts everywhere so keep a close eye on your gear.

Advertisement