Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback from microphone when recording.

Options
  • 26-04-2007 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

I got a condenser mic today and when I record I get a lot of hiss and crackle, especially if I move my mouse, anyone know what this is and how to stop it?

Thanks,

Dav

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

not sure what the mouse is about but your sure the XLR your using is a good one and is not damaged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

I'm using a condenser mic I just bought a hour ago.

Here's a sample of me playing, listen to the fuzz in the background:

BRrbbRzBzbrzb

Whats your sound card. I have a sneaking suspicion thats the problem. Is it stock ye?

It's an Intel Chipset sound card, I don't have a separate one. Is it that I am not turning off something in the volume control?

• Advertisement

well turning off everything will help but only to a certain extent. Those chipsets were not meant for pro audio so you will always get the noise of the computer etc. The converters wouldnt be the best. You can pick up a decent audio card for very cheap nowadays though!

BAH! More bloody money! *hiss! Snap!*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Unless you have a USB condenser mic, you'll need to purchase a new sound card which supplies phantom power for the mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Dav,
    its not a phantom power issue and its not because your soundcard is stock.
    Its due to impedance. Microphones on XLR to XLR are inherintly low impedance whereas your PC inputs are high impedance. This is the cause of the noise.
    If you are recording on line level with a mic level signal it will sound like this. You need to check if your soundcard has a mic i/p and use this, not line i/p.
    If it doesn't or if it doesnt make a difference then you need to buy a DI box which will take in XLR at mic level and spit out jack/minijack at line level, clearing this noise.

What confuses me is, how are you powering your condenser with phantom if your not going through a desk and not using a break out box. Is it self powered or did you get a power supply or something??

BTW, if you are doing recording on your PC you really need to invest in a USB audio interface - XLR and jack inputs - connects via USB. Check out m-audio.com for starters. Some of the guitar shops and maybe even PC world stock them.

Advertisement