Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Army Surplus masts and radio gear

• 26-04-2007 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering what the army/navy/gardai etc do with unwanted equipment - do they sell it off?
    I'm into ham radio and am on the lookout for a pneumatic telescopic mast. Sometimes the army and gardai have these for radio and communications purposes.

Its a long shot but how do I go about enquiring about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If you don't get any help here try the new Hobby Radio Forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Hmm thats a good question.

I know the Army sell off old vehicles and such but I'm not sure about Signals equipment they'd usually use it until it broke.

But if you need a start on a line of enquiry I would point you in the direction of the Group Stores in the Curragh Camp. Can't remember which one deals with Signals Equipment though I'll repost during the week if I find out.

A good bluff would be to tell them that you are starting a club or group and are looking for old equipment to make a start. Oh and I'd draft a letter as people have a habit of forgetting phone calls in the Defence Forces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

I dont think they would sell it on to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

thejuggler wrote:
    I was just wondering what the army/navy/gardai etc do with unwanted equipment - do they sell it off?
    I'm into ham radio and am on the lookout for a pneumatic telescopic mast. Sometimes the army and gardai have these for radio and communications purposes.

Its a long shot but how do I go about enquiring about this?

Your looking for the Clark mast, I've never seen them being sold as surplus. Usually the CIS corp will 'board' those items, and by that stage you don't need the hassle in trying to maintain them. Old Clark masts can give alot of trouble, plus their VERY heavy.

As for radio equipment, again I've never seen it sold as surplus here in Ireland. And alot of the radio equipement wasn't great and not really suited to HAM radio. Although all the H.F. radio's covered the entire HAM spectrum, including TX/RX and had SSB & CW they were slow to tune and didn't provide band width filters for CW or DATA.

None of the D.F.'s VHF/UHF covered the HAM bands. Although year's & year's ago the old PYE PMR radio was a favourite with the HAM boys, but I haven't seen one of those in almost twenty year's.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Connrang

Hi,

Since this is what I work at I can say what happens.

Usually the stuff is identified and place on a board of survey. A team of 3 people, usually with techies view and confirm its either beyond repair, at the end of its life cycle, being phased out as obselete or the cost of repair would exceed its value by replacement.

Once this has happened it is destroyed and sold as scrap metal or destoryed as a security requirement. Some has in the past been passed onto re-enactors, museums or such similiar organisations or individuals.

The Clarks mast are rarely boarded as they can be repaired and spares are still available from suppliers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Connrang wrote:
    Hi,

Since this is what I work at I can say what happens.

Usually the stuff is identified and place on a board of survey. A team of 3 people, usually with techies view and confirm its either beyond repair, at the end of its life cycle, being phased out as obselete or the cost of repair would exceed its value by replacement.

Once this has happened it is destroyed and sold as scrap metal or destoryed as a security requirement. Some has in the past been passed onto re-enactors, museums or such similiar organisations or individuals.

The Clarks mast are rarely boarded as they can be repaired and spares are still available from suppliers.

There ya go OP, you won't find either a Clark mast or old radio equip from the Defence Forces too readily.

Connrang, we must have crossed paths at some stage!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

Try the Brits or, failing that, the Americans. I know the British actually have a part of the MoD specifically for selling off old kit (anything from uniforms to diggers and trucks) and perhaps they do radios too. Best time, of course, would be when they're phasing out their old radios in favour of a new model (more chance of getting decent stuff, rather than the knackered old kit.)

Anyone else remember the old scams in S&T when it came time to get rid of vehicles? The good old days ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Judt wrote:
    Try the Brits or, failing that, the Americans. I know the British actually have a part of the MoD specifically for selling off old kit (anything from uniforms to diggers and trucks) and perhaps they do radios too. Best time, of course, would be when they're phasing out their old radios in favour of a new model (more chance of getting decent stuff, rather than the knackered old kit.)

Thanks to all for their suggestions and assistance. I thought it was a long shot but worth asking. Any more info on the British section of the MOD which sells off old kit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

thejuggler wrote:
    Thanks to all for their suggestions and assistance. I thought it was a long shot but worth asking. Any more info on the British section of the MOD which sells off old kit?

Try the Britsh Army Rumour Mill website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Thanks

Advertisement